MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a rant and a rave really... Been having a heated conversation with other half about car sharing and wondered what others thought? Basically, he gives 2 blokes from work a lift to work everyday, they pay no petrol money, but the odd bacon butty on a friday. It's a 12 mile trip each way and I doubt if they would be able to do the journey on bus without changing half way.
I have been arguing that he should be asking for a contribution to his fuel bill each week - am I being unreasonable? He thinks I am being harsh as he is driving to work anyway .
At the end of the day it's extra wear and tear on the cars, extra weight = less mpg. The blokes would still be getting a good deal if they paid £5-10 each week and we could benefit too. Lets face it, the rising costs of living 'every little helps'
Oh yes, and not very happy that he is using my mini as his freebie taxi once a week when I use his car for shopping.
What do you guys think?????? Sorry it's not really mini related, just needed to get it off my chest as we aren't speaking!

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
I used to give a lift to one of the other lads in our office before he got his car. It's only a 3 mile trip each way, but it meant that I had to travel a slightly different way to work through the city centre. This, being busier than my other route, often became quite frustrating and the extra stopping and starting in rush hour traffic affected fuel economy. However, he did contribute towards my fuel on a weekly basis. I never asked him for this - he did it because he felt it was the right thing to do.

I suppose it comes down to whether he feels inconvenienced by it. Like he says, he's already doing this journey already and while the extra weight in the car will use more fuel it would be interesting to calculate the difference. The only thing I would say is, I wouldn't feel right taking a free ride over that distance every day. I would feel like I was taking advantage.

·
totally sure!
25,310 Posts
Hmmmm.....
I personally wouldn't ask anyone to contribute in such a case but, if that was me getting the lift I would have to give something towards the petrol. Not everyone would feel the same. I would try to get hubby to be "unable" to pick them up for a week or so and see how much they miss their lifts ;)

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
personally, i think it's great that you have an other half who would like to help people out rather than take advantage of them at every turn.

as for the money, if he's not going out of his way, and if it's not limiting when he comes/goes to work, and he doesn't see it as an inconvenience, then i'd say let him decide about payment or not ... and if things change and it becomes inconvenient or any of the people move and he travels out of his way, then they can reconsider payment.

·
Uranus is composed of gas
3,507 Posts
Carpooling (car sharing for us non-Brits) blows. It's incredibly awkward to ask for money so I just never did, even though I was picking up the person at HER house every morning and she'd constantly complain about my tardiness. Never again.

But, I agree with Dakini. If your SO doesn't have a problem with the situation, there is no problem.

·
Noob
247 Posts
I think also .. to an extent, it depends on whether he originally had 'offered' them lifts in the first place, or if they had asked him?

It's a little hard to ask for money if he had originally suggested it.

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
I used to give a colleague an occasional lift to or from work. Total distance was around 4 miles each way via a route that was on my way home but wasn't my route of choice due to it being busier. She would give me £1 for every trip which she totted up and passed me in £5 or £10 increments. For her to take the bus cost £2.80 each way and taken 45 mins as opposed to 10 minutes. So it was no skin off her nose to pay a pound. I think paying a half (or a third if sharing with 2 people) of the fuel costs is not unreasonable and i would ask for it if it was becoming a regular arrangement (not the odd one-off).

Those people are saving themselves probably £20 or more a week which is £80 a month... or nearly a grand a year. Now would that money (or half of it) not be much better in your OH's pocket!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i think courtesy ask for like 20 quid a month that liek a fiver a week aint it and doesnt sound much at all pay day they can chuck him 20 quid for it, personally opinion whether he charges though

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those people are saving themselves probably £20 or more a week which is £80 a month... or nearly a grand a year. /QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly! Especially when money is tight in our house at the moment. I wouldn't expect a lift of someone eveyday for free, he needs to toughen up!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies folks. Nice to hear your thoughts. Still thinking he should ask for £20 month, will have to work on him. Thinking of getting him a naff sign for his rear window 'Chris' freebie Taxi - jump in' lol.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He should just pull into the petrol bunk when the guys are in the car and ask, so who is filling the tank this week?
Mint idea, he would never have the bottle to do it though! I know that he does put petrol in on way to work (he never fills up) and they have never once offered money towards it. I'm thinking, if he could get a free lift to work everyday there would be no need for a second car in our house. We would save £1000's.....

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
I think you should be thankful for such a kind hearted husband, it's not his fault his mates are tight! I suggest you by him a few beers, a copy of evo and apologise! ;)

If were just knocking about in the car I don't bother but if were trekking out somewhere specific I pull into the station, hold the hand out and say "kitty". Thankfully it's always money and not some poor moggy! :D

·
TheSecretGarden
8,338 Posts
Thanks for all the replies folks. Nice to hear your thoughts. Still thinking he should ask for £20 month, will have to work on him. Thinking of getting him a naff sign for his rear window 'Chris' freebie Taxi - jump in' lol.
I think you should back off;) He sounds like a decent bloke and I presume you think he's bright enough to suss out for himself if and when he's being taken advantage of, so let him make this call. His car, his petrol, his mates and none of your business really;)

·
Beginning a new era
12,809 Posts
My son passed his test a few months ago and sometimes borrows my car to go to college, picking up a few mates... they all contribute to his fuel costs :) If I was getting a lift every day, I would certainly contribute... never take anyone for granted ;)

·
24hr
248 Posts
I think unfortunately quite a few people will treat you like a mug if you let them. :frown:

For a while a few years ago I was working just outside Bristol and travelling home to Manchester most weekends. A colleague of mine came to me and asked if he could get a lift home with me for the next couple of months. I said yep no probs and didn't mention petrol etc thinking he'd be good natured enough to chuck in. Anyway this guy lived in Blackburn so it's a fair bit further up the M6 than my place but I took him to the door and picked him up when we where going back even though this added about 45 mins to my journey. After a couple of weekends of this and him not offering anything I asked him if he wouldn't mind helping out with the cost of petrol. He looked quite peeved and said he didn't think that it was fair as I was going to do the journey anyway ! So I said fair enough and carried on with the drive. When I got to Manchester I pulled off the motorway at my junction and stopped in a petrol station and said to him cheers then I'll see you here on Monday morning ? He looked a bit shocked and asked why I'd stopped there instead of going up to Blackburn, to which I told him I didn't live in Blackburn and this was where my journey ended so if he wasn't going to offer any petrol money this is where his journey ended too ! Needles to say I didn't see him Monday morning or on any other trip home and he ended up paying a shed load on the train. My missus thought I was being a bit hard on him, but I think he was taking advantage.

I think your husbands probably a very nice chap but he's (literally) being taken for a ride. It's no good saying it's not very far, if it's not very far they shouldn't have any problem chucking in because it won't cost much will it ? There's nothing free in this life and everyone knows it ! :smile:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes he is a nice chap and I personally think he's being taken advantage of as they probably know he won't ask for money being the person he is. It is my business, at the end of the day all our money goes into the same kitty, nothing ever comes free in life so I don't see it should for them. If he got a free lift to work every day we would be £1000's better off each year.
And for the record, I would be personally embarrased if I was getting free lifts!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts