MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi mini lovers o bought this 2005 s r53 convertible I hadn't driven it yet because of the catalytic.
I replaced the catalytic piping and o2 oxygen sensor, is still get red hot it's a little better then before.
Anyone ever have this problem and wat is causing it. Also tested the fuel injectors

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
Looks like a blocked exhaust as the heat is away from the engine. I’d say blocked cat, unless you’ve changed it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying I have dig out the old honey cumb from the 1st one that I got the car with and it was still red hot bought a new one and it still is happening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I even took off the back section from the flange going to the silencer at the back It still gets red hot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also are you sure it's running on all 4 cylinders? a dead cylinder dumping raw fuel and lots of oxygen to the cat will cause this. One of the 4 coil terminals is known to corrode on these cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi thanks I check the filter its clean
Also check the plugs they are all firing I just to get some one to do the fuel pressure.
These pictures was today after changing the coil pack

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi mini lovers o bought this 2005 s r53 convertible I hadn't driven it yet because of the catalytic.
I replaced the catalytic piping and o2 oxygen sensor, is still get red hot it's a little better then before.
Anyone ever have this problem and wat is causing it. Also tested the fuel injectors
If you noticed the cat glowing red shortly after you start the engine , I would say your dumping fuel , and possibly you may have a timing issue ! How does the car run when you start it ? Are you hearing any noise coming from the oil pump cover ? And lastly is the firing order correct .

·
Registered
365 Posts
Try cleaning both MAF sensors. One is heated the other is unheated. Unheated in middle of radiaor, the othe by thermostat. What happened to mine when I replaced thermostat and waterpump while lubing supercharger. Get MAF cleaner , don't touch, spray and let dry reinstall
. If that doesn"t work might need new sensors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had this problem before but not on a mini. I’m just trying to help I’m not a mini expert. I believe you have a air pump on your car for emissions which has what is called a dreversion valve which direct air from pump to emissions. What is happening is it’s dumping air into exhaust, which is actually causing it to look like a blow tourch on the inside. I’m very confident that’s it. Let me know. I worked about a month trying to figure this one out. We replaced the dreverion valve assembly and it worked fine. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts