MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried using CDRW media in an 05 Boost CD player? CDR works fine for mp3's but have not tried CDRW yet. CDRW never worked in my old Multichnager, although CDR did.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It could be a matter of what media you are using. I had a similar problem with some DVD-RW discs (not in the Mini, just in general). One brand I picked up (FujiFilm I think) would work find in my DVD-RW drive on my PC but I couldn't read them anywhere else (even a newer DVD-ROM drive I had). I ended up picking up some Ritek DVD-RWs and they worked fine everywhere I tried them.

So you might want to see about picking up a couple CD-RW discs from a couple different makers. I think the ones I have at home that I've never had any trouble with are Imation. But they're pretty old an can only be written at a maximum of 4x.

This might be a good time to start up a CD-RW compatibility thread so people can list what discs they have an whether they work. (assuming this doesn't already exist)

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
CDRW's do not usually work in standard CD players because they require a different light (laser) wavelength to be read. They do work usually in DVD players.
The CD boost will play my TDK CDRW discs. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
rentagas said:
CDRW's do not usually work in standard CD players because they require a different light (laser) wavelength to be read. They do work usually in DVD players.
The CD boost will play my TDK CDRW discs. :)
I'm not necessarily sure that they require a different wavelength of light (at least not to read). I do know they operate on a different principle than CD-Rs. CD-RWs are a phase change medium, in that the surface that you write to has 2 (?) states, one that does not reflect light, one that does. So when you write to it you change it so that it's similar to a CD-R (in that some parts are reflective some aren't so you get the 1s and 0s). Erasing the disc changes is back to it's "virgin" state (not quite but close enough).

Basically the thing that's keeping some players from reading CD-RWs is the reflectivity of the written disc. CD-RWs don't reflect quite as much light as CD-Rs, so they don't have quite as high of compatibility rate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts