MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Have a 2002 mini one. The passenger side door will not open using the central door locking system. It will lock but just won't open

The solonoid is making a clicking noise and I have taken the lock out to check if all the wires and rods are connected. All seems well, although it was a 'chew ' getting at all the mechanism. I have made sure it was all well lubricated.

Whilst disconnected I could get the door lock motor to lock but this was intermittent.

Reading through the manual there is a door lock motor. Has anyone had any problem with these, do they have a track record of giving problems?

The manual also mentions a central looking control unit under the dash............anyone got any experience of sorting out similar problems?

Thanks in advance

Charlie

·
I can't get no sleep
868 Posts
Sounds like your switch has gone on the lock common problem mine went a few months ago!!! will it work with the interior toggle switch??? mine didn't new one from BMW was around £60 fitted it me self hope that helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am having the same problem. I had just got out of my car and locked it, then by mistake unlocked it so pressed lock again and it locked. I came back to the car a few hours later and unlocked it and everything unlocks now apart from the passenger door.

Are there any resets or combinations I could have pressed to have caused this?

Just seems weird how I have never suffered from faulty locks and now its just gone when I pressed buttons a few times.

Many Thanks

James

p.s. I have a 51 plate Mini Cooper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You'll need to remove the inside door panel before you can get to the lock barrel. Remove the clip which holds it in place, and disconnect the linkage. If you don't feel confident, then call a mobile locksmith who'll be able to do all the work at your vehicle. This may be a little more expensive than taking it to the Locksmith, however you need to weigh this up against the time it's going to take you to remove the barrel, take it to the Locksmith.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My guess would be that re-keying a mechanical tumbler (which you would probably need to source another one.) would be more expensive to fix than retrofitting a central locking system. Looking at the supercheap website, you can get a 4 door central locking system for $60.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts