MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a mint 2008 r52 with one key, so had an auto locksmith create and program a second key. All was fine after coding till he left and I turned on the ignition. Now neither will work the central locking.
I tried putting the car back into coding mode but it won’t. If I disconnect the battery the central locking then works again, but only until i turn on the ignition. Key guy says he did nothing wrong, local garages have no idea, Bmw say likely new body modules etc.
But it was fine till the new key was coded so I doubt it’s hardware.
help?! Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,018 Posts
When one key is activated the old key becomes useless. Two keys can only exist if they are programed at the same time. Of course I have a R56 with was the newer C.A.S. system. So your may not be like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed. You have to code all keys at the same time. But whether you code 1 or 2, they only work till ignition switched on. Doesn’t make any sense.
the key guy did remove the EWS I think in order to add the nee key to the immobiliser.

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,018 Posts
Agreed. You have to code all keys at the same time. But whether you code 1 or 2, they only work till ignition switched on. Doesn’t make any sense.
the key guy did remove the EWS I think in order to add the nee key to the immobiliser.
How I remember that from Mini Cooper dealership. When I wanted a 2nd key is 200 something dollars for a key, then I said well let me get it. Then he said "The key fob you have is useless once I do" Then I said. I will pay 400 dollars for two new key fobs. At that point they did it for me. And also replaced my ignition. Over the years I had some type of problem that carried over before I bought it(it was a mini cooper company car!). Well they were into the keyless start or pulling the key fob out directly, so the reciprocal that the key fob goes into to start it up; was busted after a couple years. So I had them replace that also. And program it or whatever magic they work after that.
Total cost was a little over 500 U.S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. So today I replaced the bc1, ews and ecu from a scrapped car of the same mode, all part numbers identical. I bought the set from eBay with locks and keys.
fitted the computers, and tested, and the problem is identical. Remote locking Works fine at first, you can lock and unlock. But as soon as the ignition is switched on and then off again the remote locking stops working. I am now totally out of ideas, how can the fault still be there after changing all the computers and keys? I even replaced the rear view mirror. All I can think now is that something in the cars wiring has a fault, but where to look? I did notice that if I unplug the ews the problem goes Away, as in locking still works after turning on and off ignition. But of course it’s not possible to start the car.
wondering if the rolling code is triggered by the ignition, and for some reason that event is not being registeredby the bc1?
Help someone please!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.