MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ok I have an r50 and everywhere I read its states that it needs a new chain by 100k miles. Well, mine has done 97k so getting pretty close.
Does anyone know if mine has a chain or belt and confirm that it needs replacing? Also, has anyone had it replaced and what was the cost?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
there is no time or mile limit, it's just a good idea, and not necessarily as late as 100k, often too late actually, not because of the chain always, but the guides which break up, especially the front one,

yours is a chain

they can be done as a basic chain, with tensioner, with guides, or with sprockets, on these engines the sprockets are quite hardy and are not always really required, some might swap them out of best practise but it really isn't essential, I changed plenty with comparison of old sprockets to new and there's barely a difference on some,

so a decent compromise is chain, tensioner, both guides, under £300, but if missing pieces are discovered on guide removal, it goes up because the sump need to come off and retrieve the bits!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts