MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer changes the oil at 15K miles. So presumably the filter is also good for 15K miles... I've got spare mobil1... If I wanted to do a quick oil change and not mess with the filter at 7500, would that be terribly bad for some reason ?

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
Full synthetic oil does not need to be changed as frequently as "dead dinasour" oil. It does not break down from heat or loose its ability to lubricate with age.

If it will make you feel better to change it, by all means go right ahead. But if you do, please put in a clean filter.

If you don't it would sorta be like running a load of laundry and saving the water to do another load, after all, the dirt is out of the first load of clothes and in the water, so why not run another load of clothes thru the same water. Eventually the detergent will not be able to keep the dirt suspended in the water and the dirt will end up back on the clothes. Think of the clothes as the oil and the detergent/water as the oil filter.

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
my thoughts are that if you change the oil more regularly than advised, and use an engine flush, then just change the filter at the stated intervals.

engine flush is a couple of quid for a can and is simple to use.

better doing changing oil and not filter than not doing either. it's not going to do any harm really is it?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
tuscan_thunder said:
my thoughts are that if you change the oil more regularly than advised, and use an engine flush, then just change the filter at the stated intervals.

engine flush is a couple of quid for a can and is simple to use.

better doing changing oil and not filter than not doing either. it's not going to do any harm really is it?
:eek: What's the point of leaving a filter-full of dirty oil in the engine? Granted, it's just a little-bitty filter, but still...

If anything, change the filter to get any trapped contaminants out and then top off the oil.

Personally, I'm changing oil and filter every 5K miles. It's cheap compared to an engine. All BMW/MINI is worried about it having the engine make it to the end of the warranty period. I want it to last far longer than that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK -done

I was only asking since the instructions made it seem like doing the filter was a pain in the butt. As it turned out, I changed the filter in 2 minutes (had the 36mm socket from a VW past, and it went back on very esaily) - the oil in 5, all in all I doubt it took more than 15 minutes, cleaning included. No leaks either !!!
Piece of cake - except that the guy who did it last must have used an airgun !!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
No problem changing the filter at 1/2 intervals and just top off the oil level.

I've never been a fan of "Flushing" the engine. It can do more harm than good and not necessary if oil has been changed on a regular basis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts