MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My frind bought a new Mini. The saleman told him need not to change oil until the service counter reach? Is it true? Most of new car need to change oil for first 1000km? Am I right?

So, should he change the oil after the first 1000km? Many thanks. :(

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,170 Posts
First oil change

The salesman is strictly correct; BMW recommend that the oil is changed at the first service interval of 10,000 miles.

It has become the "in thing" amongst manufacturers to claim ever longer service intervals and oil is now often run well beyond its genuine service life. I don't care what claims are made for the improved longevity of synthetic oils; Your friend's oil will become contaminated with microscopic particles of metal as the engine runs in. What the heck is the point of leaving this to turn the oil into something like a mild grinding paste (synthetic oil or not) and then letting your engine run on it for a further 8,500 miles or so?

I would recommend anyone to pay for an additional oil change at the end of the running in period in addition to the manufacturer's recommended change at 10,000 miles. I would also suggest that the 15,000 mile intervals thereafter are shortened to 7,500 as well.

Just my opinion.

Tigger.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Change That Oil

I have to agree. Change that oil as soon as your break-in period is over. You have to wonder what Mini is doing with recommending that you observe all of these conditions pertaining to breaking in the motor, but then saying you don't have to change the oil before 10k miles. Breaking in an engine usually means things wear in and all of their excess pieces wind up in your oil. I paid the $80 US to change the oil and I feel better knowing that I'm not grinding the engine up with that contaminated oil. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fun to own EXPENSIVE to maintain

pezhead444 said:
Where did you pay $80 for an oil change? WOW sounds a little pricey to me! :eek:
I paid the $80 to get the oil changed at a Mini dealership! When I said "$80 for an oil change, are you serious?" They politely told me, "since it was synthetic oil it costs more." Well let me do the math, 4 quarts at $5.00 apiece equals $20 dollars, 30 minutes of labor at $80 dollars an hour is $40 dollars. 20 plus 40 equals 60 dollars. Oh I forgot the disposal fee for the oil must make up the extra 20 dollars! Yeah it was expensive but now I know next time it needs doing out of cycle, I WILL do it myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I do not know if it is being done for the Mini's but the reason that I read for BMW's is that the engine has already been broken in at factory. So the shavings and stuff have been cleaned out of the system.

As for the Mini,
1. It uses ONLY syntetic motor oil which is rated for 10K oil change. I have the mobile1 brand syntetic in my wifes Pathfind Truck and I change the oil 8-10K on it as well.

2. The Mini has an on-board computer that will tell you when you need to take the car in for services. It is set to 10K at factory default, but will adjust as per your driving, so if you are a led foot and/or do constant starts/stops it will adjust and maybe tell you to come in at around 9K

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,170 Posts
More engine oil debate

I've heard several people say that manufacturers run every new engine in before it is put into their car.

However, I've never seen any evidence of it. To run each engine in properly it would mean that the factory would have to run every engine on a test bench for around 30 hours, each using about 42 gallons of fuel. That would mean enough engine test beds to cope with 30 hours production. Please would someone point out to me where this is happening in the engine plant ?

If they had then run the engine in at the plant, why would they then specify a 1500 mile running in period in the handbook?

Until I am proven wrong I will carry on assuming that they are not run in and assume that that oil is contaminated with swarf (small bits of engine) and change the oil at 1500 miles.

I had an interesting conversation with a technical person from a completely different manufacturer. That manufacturer (no names mentioned) has a very poor reputation for reliability and service costs. Their previous generation of car had, because of this, been black listed by virtually every major contract hire company in the UK.

As this was a fleet car it was a disaster for them. In an effort to get their new car accepted by the contract hire companies (and the rest of the buying public) they introduced service intervals at around 20,000 miles. I had one of these cars and it was a mechanical disaster area. It destroyed several sets of camshafts and even an entire engine before it had even reached 20,000 miles! Even after it had eaten a pair of camshafts the dealership wouldn't replace the oil along with the camshafts!

As such I treat claims of extended service intervals with extreme caution. Especially when it is MY engine and ultimately MY responsibility when the warranty expires.

Tigger.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
So what's the consencious on this? Change oil at 1500 miles or wait till the Service Indicator lights up? :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts