MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

i have 17inch rims like on cooper s on my standard mini cooper.

ride is hard and i was wondering can i change the tyres to non lo wprofile and non run flats keeping the 17" rims to get a softer ride ?

thanks for advice

· racing is in my blood
203 Posts
have a quick look at my thread a couple down from this one, called Runflats: binned.

i was loathe to change all 4 as the rears had a lot of tread left but changing the r/f for non r/f has made a massive difference to the ride and handling of the mini

only thing to watch is you will need a can of tyre weld style stuff and a pump

do a search also, that'll show up a LOT of threads

· almost 59k
5,115 Posts
its also worth considering that if u get a bad puncture tire weld / goo might make no difference. but i guess you might have realised that. so far ive had 2 punctures on Run flat tires and limped back home both times. OK they are heavy and expensive but very convenient.

a place to also look is the area of the forum called TYRES.... theres plenty of debates about which type of non runflat tire to use.

· Modifying the wife's car!
9 Posts
I have a new Cooper S Turbo fitted with JCWorks 18" alloys and 205/40/18 runflat tyres. The sensor shows there is a fault with a tyre and after checking the pressure it was down to 10psi. Blow it up, reset the sensor and all is weel....for 3 days, then sensor back on and tyre down to 10psi. Yes it has a very slow puncture. Take it to the local ATS and told they can't repair runflat tyres, no matter how slow the puncture is. I rang Mini and they confirmed this. The tyre has done less than 3000 miles and still looks brand new, but I am expected to throw it away and pay £175 for a new Bridgestone.
Does anyone know if I can fit normal tyres onto these rims and then just buy a spare, or have I got to replace the wheels to? Ridiculous situation to be in that if you ever get a puncture you have to buy a new tyre.
BOO to BMW runflats.

· Registered
82 Posts
when i changed my run flats to normal tyres my hadndling was ruined
it handled like a dog.
it wasnt until i bought coliover suspention and stiffen up the susepntion that handling was back to normal if not better

i think if your gonna change runflats, you have to change suspention asewell, unless u dont mind about how the car handles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.