MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps and chapesses.
I was changing my brake pads and discs last night but a couple of things stopped me finishing.
Firstly, bad light stopped play :rolleyes:
Secondly, I didn't have the correct size torx bit to remove the discs :hmph:

To save buying a full set of torx bits, does anyone know what size bit is required to get this little blighter of a bolt out?

Cheers
Beez

·
Registered
988 Posts
T45 (99% sure - or was that the caliper bolt? Oh dear...) - I had to buy one from Halfrauds.

I couldn't shift the front two disc torx bolts, so ended up drilling them half out...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I used a T50. 100% definite because it's the only one I've got. I bought a T45 but it was a loose fit so took it back and swapped for a T50. Soaked a bit of WD40 on first loosened them.

The caliper bolt is a 7mm Allen key

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea T45 it is but you'l be lucky to get em out mine got drilled out and left out for now.

Scott
I had the same problem with the front discs, rear ones came off ok, but the fronts, no chance, even after giving them some blow torch treatment, so I drilled them out as well.

The bit I used was T50 btw ;)

Thanks for the replies :)

·
Registered
988 Posts
In regards to the Bentley manual - how good is this compared to the Haynes manual? When I've looked at the Bentley in the past, it was around £50 to buy!

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
In regards to the Bentley manual - how good is this compared to the Haynes manual? When I've looked at the Bentley in the past, it was around £50 to buy!
MUCH better... It has better photos and a more detailed layout for part removal and installation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too am changing my discs and have the common problem that one front torx bolt has sheared off leaving the stub in the hub. I also managed to chew up the torx head on one rear torx so I cant get that out either!!!!!

I made the mistake of drilling the rear torx and then attempting to use an extractor (easy out) on that to remove. Guess what the extractor has then broke off flush in the torx leaving me pretty pi**ed off!

Can anyone tell me what method they used to drill out? Did you just work up drill sizes until you could get remains out or did you use counter-clockwise drill bits?

Any ideas how to get the torx out with the extractor left in it as I will never be able to drill that!!!! I can only think of taking it somewhere to use spark erosion or similar........

Cheers.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I drilled it and then pounded a larger torx in. We also beat the hell out of it to loosen it up a little. Some have even used some penetrating oil to help with that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I aim to drill right through the torx bolts up to a 9mm bit, then re-tap the holes as it's a standard 10mm thread IIRC. Then just fit new bolts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts