MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MINI2 Crash Test Driver
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I phoned up my dealer to find out when my cooper would arrive (19th March) and he said that he had a chassis number. I completely forgot to ask him what it was but I'm guessing its a unique number for each Mini. Is there anything you can do with it? I mean, what would be the point in him giving it to me early?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Chassis number is unique to every car, usually spottable on the VIN plate in the engine bay. Its a beloved of insurance companies and policeman as it allows them to identify stolen vehicles.

The only advantage I can see to having it early would be in case you want your windows etching with it. They can be etched with registration or chassis number as another method of making your car less attractive to people who aren't inclined to pay for a MINI.

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Crashandburn said:
Chassis number is unique to every car, usually spottable on the VIN plate in the engine bay. Its a beloved of insurance companies and policeman as it allows them to identify stolen vehicles.

The only advantage I can see to having it early would be in case you want your windows etching with it. They can be etched with registration or chassis number as another method of making your car less attractive to people who aren't inclined to pay for a MINI.

Most insurance companies will issue cover under a chassis number as oppossed to a reg no. - I always do it this way because if you have or intend to have a cherished plate it saves a lot of trouble altering the insurance docs

When cars like my club sport are taken to JCW they are not always registered at this stage (as with imports) but they do need insurance if you want to make sure they are covered whilst work is being done or they are being taken to the SVA etc. hence you have to insure but don't know the reg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts