MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am almost embarrassed to post this message, but in the interest of sharing an experience that might benefit our group..here goes.

I have been concerned that my 04MCS was not delivering the gas mileage I was seeing reported on this board. I checked my tire pressures. I found 16 psi in two tires, 18psi in another and 20psi in the fourth.

I can't believe that much air had migrated out of the 16" Dunlop run flats on x-lites. The tire inflation warning has never indicated a low pressure condition. I'm left to wonder if my dealership failed to top off the tires in the dealer preparation and reset the tire warning threshold at the low pressure setting before I took delivery.

The self supporting sidewall construction of these run flat tires prevent catastrophic tire collapse as well as camouflage the loss of air that might otherwise have been revealed through the accustomed visual indication of a soft tire, a bulge at the bottom of an at rest tire.

I adjusted my tire pressures to the mfg suggested numbers and have seen my gas mileage increase 20-30%.

I felt pretty dumb upon the discovery of the low tire pressures. But, I feel better now that I've shared my experience with this board.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The pressure indicator will only advise of a **sudden** drop in tire/tyre pressure - something I didn't know until I thought my fronts looked a bit low and found them very low with no warning light on... worth checking though as you say...

·
Motorer extraordinaire
131 Posts
I disagree. The monitor records the speed relationship between the wheels when reset. If all of the tires lose approximately the same amount of air, that relationship does not change and, therefore, the system does not detect a fault.

·
Now With More Cowbell
1,687 Posts
For what it's worth, I've observed 3.5 psi variance between opposite tires without any flat tire light being triggered. I don't know if that's indicative of what one can expect, but I've seen it on my car.

-CW

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
petecrosby said:
I disagree. The monitor records the speed relationship between the wheels when reset. If all of the tires lose approximately the same amount of air, that relationship does not change and, therefore, the system does not detect a fault.
This is correct. The threshold I believe is set a 15% difference before the light comes on.

I check the air pressure at least once a month or after a major change in the weather such as the arrival of a cold spell.

·
Registered
700 Posts
My '05 MCS came from the dealer (Sept.) with about 42 PSI in the tires!

Thanks to the checklist on this Forum, the first thing I did before the car left the showroom was to check the tires and let some air out.

Somehow, MINI has a problem with their air gauges. Strange. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
There's a thread getting underway to sort out the ideas, experience, opinion, and practical suggestions for MINI owners to generate Better Gas Mileage; How-to Ideas and Experience.

Check it out, and please add your input there too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts