MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 weeks ownership I thought I\'d check my tyre pressures, 42 psi all round! The dealer obviously hadn\'t checked them during PDI. After checking in the manual I\'ve set them to 32 psi; this has dramatically improved the ride quality and reduced tyre noise.
Most manufacturers set the tyre pressures high during build to help prevent flat spots if the car is standing for any time, the dealer should set them to the correct pressure during PDI. Thanks Godfrey Hall!

PS It\'s going in tomorrow for the following:
1) Pulls to the left.
2) Fuel gauge reads low.
3) No seat height adjustment on driver\'s side (am I the only one with this one?)
4) Creaks from dash and driver\'s side window.

Love the car, can\'t wait to finish the 600 miles of running in left.

·
Fun on 2 & 4 wheels!
185 Posts
Is that Godfrey Hall Coventry perchance? Another (un)satisfied customer!!! I wrote Mr Hall a big long letter compaining about customer service, so hopefully that will frighten a few people there into pulling their fingers out!

If you are in the Cov area, whats your MINI colour and spec? I keep seeing a lovely Yellow/Black Cooper around the Holyhead Rd area and never flash in time!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Or are you Godfrey Hall Shrewsbury?

Cos I had the exact same tyre pressure over-inflation. They even forgot to put on any dustcaps! Actually, the staff there seem fine and polite enough, it\'s pity they couldn\'t get the car right first time (I had to go back 3 times in 3 weeks) which has left me in 2 minds about them. Still I don\'t have any other dealer that\'s closer so I guess I\'m stuck with them...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Godfrey Hall, Coventry.

gazzaman28 the exterior of my car is the same spec. as yours, my reg is BV51TXN (I ordered it before I found this forum so no accusations of copying please). I\'ve got A/C instead of the sunroof and no ASC+T.

Has your pulling to the left been sorted? Mine hasn\'t but they have a service fix which involves changing the front struts but they are going to take at least 2 weeks to arrive. They are also going to order replacement fuel pumps to sort out the fuel gauge problem.

I\'m pretty happy with my first contact with service today: New seat fitted; car cleaned; they rang and left a message to say it was ready and he even came out to the car park with me to find it (without prompting).

·
Registered
888 Posts
My Cooper and my friends cooper from 2 different Glasgow dealers were both delivered with 45 psi.

My friend has been driving his for MONTHS like this but I wasnt driven in his car until tonight when I found the ride quality awful and asked him what the pressures were at. He told me they were at 45 because hed checked and assumed they were correct because someone had written in the handbook 45psi next to the correct 30!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
My pressures were not only too high, but also uneven. Left front quite a bit higher than right front. Attempt to cure the left drift :) ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine were all 38 psi

It would be nice if the recommended pressures on the door pillar were the same as those in the manual.

I've gone with the manual and 30 psi all round.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Re: Mine were all 38 psi

J.N. said:
It would be nice if the recommended pressures on the door pillar were the same as those in the manual.

I've gone with the manual and 30 psi all round.
Unless you received a separate manual or warrantee paper work for the actual tires on your vehicle, I'd recommend following the number on the door pillar.

There are so many tire and wheel combinations. Even if the manual covers a generic recommended PSI for the 15", 16", or 17" rims, MINI installs tires from several manufacturers.

The number printed on the label on the door pillar should match the actual options you spec the vehicle with more than the manual. The lead time and quantity that they need to keep costs down on a book also prevent it from always having the absolute most up to date information.

Those stickers, on the other hand, are filled in for your specific vehicle.

HTH,
Brant

·
Registered
133 Posts
The official answer

I've done a separate posting on this, but the dealer confirmed today that the door pillar info is right and the manual wrong.

So; normal load is:-

FRONT 2.1 bar (31 psi)
REAR 2.4 bar (35 psi)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Again, Those figures are correct for the tires on your car. I wouldn't suggest that they are the correct values for a different sized tire. Or even a different tire brand.

If we can agree that a wider 205/45R17 has a larger contact patch than a 195/65R15, then the PSI will very from tire to tire.

If you reduce the square inches, then the pressure should increase to support the same amount of weight. Although in practice, it can actually be the opposite, as lower profile tires are run at higher pressures to protect the rims.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts