MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ok i went to check the oil on my S tonight, and the dip stick has a yellow piece on the end of it, and i can't see any markings of where the level is ment to be. Is this normal??

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
steebo777 said:
Actually that entire yellow piece is where the oil should be. It has little knobs all around the flaired out bottom of the dipstick. The oil just may be too clean for you to see the oil on the dipstick :)
Thanks steebo777, it is totally different to my old Cooper, and the look on my face when i pulled it out must have been a picture! lol
:D

·
MINI Geek
515 Posts
Shockwave_Factory said:
Thanks steebo777, it is totally different to my old Cooper, and the look on my face when i pulled it out must have been a picture! lol
:D
Probably the same look as on my face when I did the same thing.

"Dude, I don't think they put oil in my MINI!!!" -me checking the oil after a 150mile trip

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yep, happend to me today.

MCS digested almost a whole tank of fuel. So I decided to wash it and check the oil.
WHoaaa... where is the oil ???? :eek:
After very carefully looking there it is.. just a bit on the yellow plastic on the ribbed stuff.
Very difficult to see when the oil is fresh.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Is'nt it the same on pre 05 MCS? Funny knurled bottom piece, impossible to read unless your oil is treacle and an awful crklink noise as the dipstick tube tries to obstruct the dipstick on the way in. :(

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
I checked mine on the weekend. 5500 miles and the oil isn't clear and it's only just touching the nobbley bits on the stick.

Luke

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was glad I was warned that checking the oil was a challenge or I would have been worried. And yeah, the dipstick is very weird.

I also have stuck with what the manual says for checking it. Get it up to operating temp. (drive to the grocery store and back) and wait 5 minutes after shutting it off, then check it.

I used to be pretty sloppy about checking oil (that was hubby's job) but now I'm checking it with every tank of gas. What is becoming of me? ;)

·
DrJ
170 Posts
there was a good tip a few months ago for checking the oil. If you turn the dipstick clockwise (or anti-clockwise as I can't remember without going to the car and its :bad::bad::bad::bad:ing down with rain) it goes in without the usual anticipation of the thing snapping off in your hand.

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Certainly a whole different concept that funny stick :p

9500kms and mines visible.

G

·
Their is a call back on some of the 2005 MCS`s u know!!! reguarding some oil issue!! i booked my car in for a power steering recall and something about the oil also came up on the screen!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I took mine to the dealer got them to check it, its about all i dare let them do,also got them to wipe off my JCW intercooler cover while the bonnet was up :D :D

·
Mini Tragic
491 Posts
I can't find in the manual where the oil level should be. The manual doesn't even show the yellow end part of the dipstick. I'm assuming that as long as there is oil on the yellow nibbly section, the oil level is correct.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts