MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great pictures!
You've just helped me choose my color.
I know I'm not going to get dark silver w/ black!
Yuch!
With White is the Beauty!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Dates jive w my dealer who said today S would be May.
Will they let you sit in the car??;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nearly every car at the Chicago Auto Show is open for everyone to sit in and try them out. Luckily, they have sales types and security to deter vandalism.

The only cars that are typically off-limits would be all of the concept cars, cars on the revolving platforms, and the really high-end stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I don't know that the cars will be open during public days. Chicago is notorius amoung manufacturers for having stuff disappear from cars on display.

-jamie

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jamie, it shouldn't be a problem. I've been attending the Chicago show for many years, and I always attend during the normal public days. The MINIs on display likely are the same MINIs that will be or have been shown in Detroit, Los Angeles, New York in April....these cars have probably seen a bit of wear and tear already. I would be extremely surprised if they were locked up.

·
Registered
577 Posts
A friend got to sit in a MINI at the LA Auto Show, but only for about 30 seconds because of the long line of people wanting to see it. He said the majority were women. He said the seatback felt "lumpy" and although there was enough headroom, it felt "cramped" inside. He also said the pedals are close together. (He is used to driving a full-size Chevy pickup so any subcompact will feel small in comparison.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm sure your friend isn't used to heel and toe shifting his suburban.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Great pics but one question if the battery is in the boot (trunk) then were does the MINI mobility system go or does the American cars not have this.:confused:

·
Registered
350 Posts
battery / spare tire

That must be an S. I bet there's no room for the battery in the engine compartment of the S. Another performance vs practicality trade-off.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
FONTAL said:
Great pics but one question if the battery is in the boot (trunk) then were does the MINI mobility system go or does the American cars not have this.:confused:
No mention of a MINI Mobility System for the US. We either have to trust the runflat tires or build our own MMS.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I noticed in the battery shot that the battery says BMW. Does this make it cost more or is LUCAS out of the battery business?:confused:

Mike:D

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
FiremanMike said:
I noticed in the battery shot that the battery says BMW. Does this make it cost more or is LUCAS out of the battery business?:confused:

Mike:D
Lucas does still make automotive electrical components, but I don't know about batteries. I believe they are owned by TRW now. You can still order genuine Lucas parts for old MGs, I replaced the directional and wiper stalks on my 77 'B a little while back. From some of the complaints on these boards, it sounds like the spirit of Lucas is in the new MINI even if the actual parts are not! :D

-Ricardo (who has a "Lucas, Prince of Darkness" pin on his jacket)

·
Registered
5 Posts
The show is open to the public now and for what I can tell via the webcam, you can sit in the car. The MINI exhibit looks to be very popular.

Chicago Auto Show

To see the MINI display, choose Camera Three and pan right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This has probably been discussed here already, but there is some good news for those of us in the States that are saddled with the extra orange and red reflectors stuck on the bumper edges:

If you look closely, the black corner pieces that have the reflectors attached to them are seperate and a euro-spec unit (does that term apply to Mini's :) ) could replace it to get rid of those nasty reflectors that are required here.

So looks like a few of us here on this side of the pond will be looking for some help from our friends in GB to source "normal" ones for us.

Cheers,

-jamie

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
swerks said:
This has probably been discussed here already, but there is some good news for those of us in the States that are saddled with the extra orange and red reflectors stuck on the bumper edges:

If you look closely, the black corner pieces that have the reflectors attached to them are seperate and a euro-spec unit (does that term apply to Mini's :) ) could replace it to get rid of those nasty reflectors that are required here.

So looks like a few of us here on this side of the pond will be looking for some help from our friends in GB to source "normal" ones for us.

Cheers,

-jamie
Havn't they got lights in them though.......might be a bit more complicated than you think. BruceK likes them about as much as the Central Tacho on the Oz cars....:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts