MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE ADVISE!

Quick summary up to today:
Have dreamt of a mini since I was a kid, the opportunity arose to buy my first one, 2010 Clubman S. Everything looked, felt, ran beautifully.. for 2 weeks. In seconds everything went to shit, my MAF boot, tire sensors, o2 sensors, loose hoses, and the kicker was the clutch/flywheel.

Replaced everything...3 weeks later, valve cover/head gasket warps leading to oil pressure issue. Replace that.

Now today:
overheat indicator, about half a mile later oil pressure indicator, then another half mile heading down the off ramp, low power to engine indicator and just like that, no acceleration.
open the hood to a face full of hot coolant spraying like a geyser from the expansion tank (blow off hose, top left)...
find that to be cracked (obviously) and rerigged it up with coupling and grommets (temporary but does what it should for now)
Car started (reluctantly) and only showed engine power error briefly, rest cleared.
First minute of test drive - I couldn’t see the steering wheel behind the clouds of (I’m assuming) antifreeze?
Coolant tank is secured, new head gasket cover, and still a brick of a car.. what’s going on?!?!?

extra info: when idling, if the dipstick is removed, a loud hissing can be heard from within the oil reservoir, as well as chugging in the engine. Sounds similar to pulling the connection on an ignition coil.

·
Registered
9,032 Posts
guess when head was removed no one bothered to have it crack tested, i see this sort of thing all the time but thats my job,, oil pressure issues and coolant issues might be the oil filter housing seals have failed inside perhaps ,, also there is a later spec thermostat housing runs lower temps also when go faulty can effect oil pressure due to over heat the oil as well as coolant,

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,017 Posts
Due to it being an aluminum head and not a cast iron head. They have to submerge it to tell if it has a crack. And even then. it is dicey. It is not like getting it magna fluxed.
Reaching in left field here. Cracked head can happen. And is the basis of most intermediate D.I.Yer's out there.
Just pace yourself about that. and Do what you can to uncover the truth in moderation or have someone else do it for you like a machinist.
Try not to focus on the worst right now until you get hard evidence. I put my borescope down my cylinders today. And I almost threw up. It looked like for a second that I burned holes through three of my pistons. Not really a expensive bore scope. They were just fine.
The cold moisture came in there without the spark plugs and created a better picture on the bore a scope.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts