MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just picked up an 05 Mini Cooper with the W10 engine with what I think is a suspected head or head gasket failure

The car does not have an oil cooler in the filter housing or the radiator

Before I go pull of the head is there anywhere else the water and oil can mix ?

The oil is clean but the coolant is full of brown sludge and quite a lot of it

Any suggestions gratefully received

Thanks

Ian

· Registered
13,582 Posts
I’ve just picked up an 05 Mini Cooper with the W10 engine with what I think is a suspected head or head gasket failure

The car does not have an oil cooler in the filter housing or the radiator

Before I go pull of the head is there anywhere else the water and oil can mix ?

The oil is clean but the coolant is full of brown sludge and quite a lot of it

Any suggestions gratefully received

Thanks

Ian
below link so not got one of these on it it should do is so might be this is cracked, might be worth buying universal oil cooler kit for it,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-O...382535?hash=item3d8865de87:g:X98AAOSwHGxb5p9C
if remove it clean it use airline seal one end and pressurise it.
strange have no oil water mixed in sump or rocker cover the tritec is prone to gasket failures with age and mileages

Reactions: GXCars

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but according to mini it’s not fitted with an oil cooler at all - the one in the link is the one on the oil filter housing which it doesn’t have according to Berry BMW and not listed on realoem either

Usually when the head gasket goes you get water in the oil,so knowing my luck it’ll be a cracked head

I’ll have a poke around later but my first thought was oil cooler but apparently it doesnt have one

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks but according to mini it’s not fitted with an oil cooler at all - the one in the link is the one on the oil filter housing which it doesn’t have according to Berry BMW and not listed on realoem either

Usually when the head gasket goes you get water in the oil,so knowing my luck it’ll be a cracked head

I’ll have a poke around later but my first thought was oil cooler but apparently it doesnt have one

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
13,582 Posts
the trouble with bmw's approach of its not listed they also do that trick on parts that are no long available via them and would appear its more polite to never admit to a customer they no long support cars of old age as the gen 1 is now always worth checking yourself to be sure,
as for cracked head its possible sometimes its cheaper just to stick a known good head on it anyway as the crack test option costs around what a head should cost, sealant stuff nevers work on oil way to water way might just be gasket as they do fail around 100k and ater 10 years its on borrowed time in my book.

· Registered
15 Posts
When we bought my daughters car the last owner had changed the antifreeze to the wrong one, pink I think it was, the cooling system was full of sludge caused by the reaction between the two antifreeze’s. I flushed it a few times and filled with the blue stuff and it was fine till we sold it over a year later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
13,582 Posts
Check for your self .
BMW told me that my previous MIni did not have one ,when I check it did and once we fitted a new one it was all good .
must admit i find bww parts people to be not mechanically trained on any level and what the screen says on a reg or chassis is all their brains can deal with, the best parts guys for main dealers i have found in southwest is vospers so helpful and even try and cross ref across on the brands if they can unlike many that just dont care,
also on mini so many engines have been swapped in older cars that chances are some parts will as well,its best to live your life with that saying believe it when see it and a open mind until do see it,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.