MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night was the office christmas party which was held at the Hilton hotel. This morning I woke up with the hangover from hell and attempted to pack my bags ready for checking out only to discover I have lost my car keys. After searching the room I went out to the car park to see my mini with the window half open and the keys in the ignition. I got in to find my cd's scattered all over the floor and a pint of beer in the rear cup holder. Also the lights and heater were switched on and the battery as flat as a pancake. Seem to recall needing to listen to my favourite cd after the hotel bar closed at 4 am. I'm very looky somebody didnt nab my mini!
 

·
Track addict
Joined
·
5,960 Posts
alfi said:
Last night was the office christmas party which was held at the Hilton hotel. This morning I woke up with the hangover from hell and attempted to pack my bags ready for checking out only to discover I have lost my car keys. After searching the room I went out to the car park to see my mini with the window half open and the keys in the ignition. I got in to find my cd's scattered all over the floor and a pint of beer in the rear cup holder. Also the lights and heater were switched on and the battery as flat as a pancake. Seem to recall needing to listen to my favourite cd after the hotel bar closed at 4 am. I'm very looky somebody didnt nab my mini!


Thats not all.... simply opening the drivers door whilst sh**te faced is a straight forward arrestable drink driving offence - you don't even need to start the engine....

Still... alls well.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tony*t3 said:
Thats not all.... simply opening the drivers door whilst sh**te faced is a straight forward arrestable drink driving offence - you don't even need to start the engine....

Still... alls well.....
Yeah lucky for me thats only on a public road - you could drive around a private car park as drunk as a lord if you wanted.
 

·
Track addict
Joined
·
5,960 Posts
alfi said:
Yeah lucky for me thats only on a public road - you could drive around a private car park as drunk as a lord if you wanted.


Well I have to question your knowledge there - the police use exactly this tactic in pub car parks - are they seen as public or private car parks, and is the hilton Car Park a public or private car park - ? I would guess private.

Still, better than finding the car in that state but parked in a different car park!!!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tony*t3 said:
Well I have to question your knowledge there - the police use exactly this tactic in pub car parks - are they seen as public or private car parks, and is the hilton Car Park a public or private car park - ? I would guess private.

Still, better than finding the car in that state but parked in a different car park!!!! :D
I'm sure they do but I expect that those cases aren't a "straight forward arrestable drink driving offence". Presumably they have to prove an intention to drive in court. I suppose if they thought the person was going to drive then they would simply wait till they set off and then stop them but if they didnt think they intended to drive then they would arrest them and try and prove they were going to drive. If that was the case then I see no compelling evidence to suggest a drunk hotel resident was intending to drive somewhere at 4am.
 

·
A mini is a way of life.
Joined
·
2,643 Posts
alfi said:
I'm sure they do but I expect that those cases aren't a "straight forward arrestable drink driving offence". Presumably they have to prove an intention to drive in court. I suppose if they thought the person was going to drive then they would simply wait till they set off and then stop them but if they didnt think they intended to drive then they would arrest them and try and prove they were going to drive. If that was the case then I see no compelling evidence to suggest a drunk hotel resident was intending to drive somewhere at 4am.
even if you had your keys in your pocket,and you were sat in your car,you would be arrested and charged with being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle.
there was a case of a lorry driver who parked in a pub car park at the end of his working shift.as he was 200 miles away from his home and had a sleeper cab,decided to use the pubs friendly services for a wash,food and a few beers.after that returned to his cab to settle down for the night as all long distance drivers do.at 2am in the morning there was a knock at the cab door.yes it was Mr policeman. is this your vehicle sir?have you been drinking sir?blow in to this sir? you are now under arrest for being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle. the driver got a 3year ban even thou the defense could prove he had no intention of driving.
so be warned!!!!!!!!
 

·
Now answering to Lady J!
Joined
·
10,271 Posts
ASTON said:
even if you had your keys in your pocket,and you were sat in your car,you would be arrested and charged with being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle.
there was a case of a lorry driver who parked in a pub car park at the end of his working shift.as he was 200 miles away from his home and had a sleeper cab,decided to use the pubs friendly services for a wash,food and a few beers.after that returned to his cab to settle down for the night as all long distance drivers do.at 2am in the morning there was a knock at the cab door.yes it was Mr policeman. is this your vehicle sir?have you been drinking sir?blow in to this sir? you are now under arrest for being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle. the driver got a 3year ban even thou the defense could prove he had no intention of driving.
so be warned!!!!!!!!
That seems ridiculous. The fact that he was actually asleep and still got arrested and charged seems stupid. So basically if you had a motor home and were camped out somewhere with it and had a drink and went to bed they would be able to arrest you for being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle??? Not that I personally own a motor home or particularly wish to holiday in one but just wondered. If that is the case then I think it seems a tad over zealous on the part of the police when there are genuine drink drivers out there.
 

·
Blue is the colour!
Joined
·
13,507 Posts
alfi said:
Last night was the office christmas party which was held at the Hilton hotel. This morning I woke up with the hangover from hell and attempted to pack my bags ready for checking out only to discover I have lost my car keys. After searching the room I went out to the car park to see my mini with the window half open and the keys in the ignition. I got in to find my cd's scattered all over the floor and a pint of beer in the rear cup holder. Also the lights and heater were switched on and the battery as flat as a pancake. Seem to recall needing to listen to my favourite cd after the hotel bar closed at 4 am. I'm very looky somebody didnt nab my mini!
Hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Due to the happy ending...



:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
scooperman_uk said:
im shocked to hear that drunken stupour nearly got your MINI jacked!

so u cant use the old trick hiding the keys up the tailpipe anymore and kipping in the car drunk then?
I think you are OK if you do not have the keys on you, ie you hide them somewhere outside of the car. If you don't actually have the keys, they can't do you for drunk in charge of a vehicle?
 

·
bepmoc-er
Joined
·
265 Posts
omg couldve been nasty! many years ago I once left the key in the door of my first car (astra mk2! - no rcl) only to find it like it the next morning! this was o/s my house on the road too! obviously not quite as desirable as the MINI!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top