MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MINI2 Sponsor & Moderator
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on all the pics of the new S that there were no chrome bumper strips which I have grown particularly fond of. Otherwise the car looks fantastic. No real big surprises thanks to all the info gathered here on a daily basis but it sure is nice to see facts instead of speculation as well as some smashing good pictures (the use of \"smashing\" was you UK folks 8D ).

Will we still have the option to get the chrome bumper strips and chrome grill on the S ?? Anyone?

-Mike

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mike,

I hope so, this is the only thing restraining me at the moment from buying the \"S\", expect for convincing my girlfriend that this one looks better then the non S version... ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
i like the front bumper alot better, but i agree that the back one looks a little weird without the chrome strip across it. maybe just cause i\'ve only seen it that way. it looks unfinished. also what happened to the chrome finish atop the rear license plate? r these pics the final product?

·
Registered
51 Posts
On all things chrome, my London dealer (that sounds rather sinister) tells me that anything not chromed as standard can be chromed by the dealer pre-delivery. So in this case the front grill slats and the rear boot handle.

On chromed bumper inserts, perhaps dealers could attach these standard parts as well? Only thing getting in the way would be if the bumper shape is too different or if there are no suitable points for attachment.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Hey, I like the chrome too, but I can\'t see any way it can be applied to the front or rear bumpers on the S.

On the One and the standard Cooper, there is a body colored raised section molding into the fascia that acts as the \"bumper\". When the optional chrome strips are purchased (usually part of an option package) they are applied onto this molding.

Since there is no such molding on the front or rear fascias for the S, there\'s no place to put the chrome bumperettes. :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looking at it again, there isn\'t really space on the front bumper of the S.

At the the rear, if you really wanted to attach the chrome bits you could take a molding of the standard bumper, fill it with rubber to get the right shape and then bond it to the S bumper. Would probably fall off with your first bump, but would be nice and shiny for at least 5 minutes!

·
Loves Leecey
4,758 Posts
Did anyone ever take notice at top line sports cars from BMW and Jaguar?
No chrome on these cars, in fact, this is how you can recognise them.
Never heart somebody complain about them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Look at this picture of the rear of the S:

Does anyone know what the \"holes\" are in the rear bumper, they are now filled with some buttons, but it looks like the perfect place for a chrome insert....
B)

·
Registered
98 Posts
On 17-10-2001 15:03 Mutts wrote:
Does anyone know what the \"holes\" are in the rear bumper, they are now filled with some buttons, but it looks like the perfect place for a chrome insert....
B)
Those are the back up sensor(forget what the correct terminology is). As if you need it on such a small car. As for chrome pieces the less the better in my opinion. I love the body colored back handle. My only improvement would be body colored mirrors.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I like the chrome, would help me convince my girlfriend as well ;)

BTW must admit the Electric Blue looks much better then seen before, I might be tempted... no, BRG/white with Cordoba seats (hopefully in sportseats as well....) is still HOT favourite.

-B-

·
Loves Leecey
4,758 Posts
Is she going to pay the bill then? ;)

BTW, did you see the article of the IAA in the editorials-section. Better pictures of the BRG in bright light you can\'t get.

·
Registered
78 Posts
On 17-10-2001 17:01 OnlyS4me wrote:
Is she going to pay the bill then?
I work, she doesn\'t, you do the accounting.... ;)

BRG looks good enough for me... I always liked the colour from the start, only \'problem\' is that my current car is in the same colour, very nice, but I\'d like something different this time around....
To be honest with you, I just might be tempted to go for the body coloured roof after looking at the AAI pictures... o bummer, it\'s getting harder, not easier...

·
Registered
930 Posts
The car looks ok without the chrome, but I think I would prefer it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If chrome and shiney things are so important to you then go and buy a Rover 75 ;-) *Yawn* Pleanty of chrome on one of them.

I wasn\'t too keen on the sporty bumpers and the like but they grew on me and I think that they look far better now, glad that I changed my order to a Cooper S long before the piccies came out! :)

·
Loves Leecey
4,758 Posts
On 17-10-2001 16:23 Mutts wrote:
OnlyS4me,

just saw the pictures in your personal gallery of the BRG and IB cooper S, you... you... you... aaaaagggghhhhhh
I like them both !!!

B
Sorry!!!! ;)
So it didn\'t help. The BRG is a totaly different shade than your Audi. My girlfriend has a green VW Polo, an that\'s totaly different too. Did you happen to see the BRG in the flesh by now? I think the ONE was a dealers car, so that means is standing next to the Indi Blue Cooper in the showroom. It\'s the only way to make up your mind, don\'t be guided by pictures.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I haven\'t had the time yet to go to the dealer yet, hopefully next week would be better.
Knowing you have seen my Audi, how does that colour compare to BRG, is mine darker, or is BRG?

You are fully right though, the only way to make up my mind is to go to the dealer and have a look at the thing in the flesh.

BTW, I noticed yesterday that on my way to work (and back home), I pass a Indie Blue MINI ONE with sunroof, nice, very nice, but don\'t know whether to smile or cry.... IYKWIM ;)

To S or not to S, THAT IS THE QUESTION !!! :!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
On 17-10-2001 15:03 Mutts wrote:
Look at this picture of the rear of the S:
http://www.mini2.com/images/coopers/B_1020-Blue-rear-cornering.jpg

B)
well we know you dont mean the centre mounted exhausts...(do you?) the centre one above i am not sure, large slats are supposedly (?) diffuser ducts that are used on high performance cars to suck them to the road or alternatively as sporty body kit on lesser vehicles..... the dots on the bumper will be the parking radar for people who cant use mirrors or turn their heads...does a mini really need these or is it one more example of the excessive fitment of unessary options that add weght and bulk to our cars.

Am I too cynical?
Do BMW charge the most for their stripped out high performance models?
Can we buy a cheaper low spec deleted option version?

We all know how much bmw has spent on this unique vehicle and how soon it is too be replaced by a simpler version..i have heard 3 years life only.. so expensive options will always help added to the myth of resale only achievable with top spec..........

i still put a deposit down

·
Registered
546 Posts
jwilk said:

As for chrome pieces the less the better in my opinion. I love the body colored back handle. My only improvement would be body colored mirrors.

I would guess that this isn't going to be a popular view on the site, but I too prefer the MINI's without so much chrome on them. I have a Chili Red One which is de-badged, has alloys and body coloured inserts rather than the chrome. Being the One, it also has black grille slats and matt black mirrors - I think the overall look is more classy and less fussy than the Cooper's.

When I collected it from the dealer it was certainly drawing more attention than the £15k Coopers with their chrome everywhere and the white roof/mirrors combination. Perhaps a case of less is more?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts