MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have just been on ebay to look for some chrome mirror covers for my mini one. They are on ebay for a "buy it now" price of £28.....now I know I have read that a lot of you out there get great bargins from ebay, but £28 ?????? My local dealership want £70 for a set and then another £10 for fitting them, do you think they will be ok or should I steer clear and pay the £80 odd at my mini dealership ?:confused:

Another thing and bear with me as I am a woman and don't know a thing about cars......well apart from the fact that Mini's are TOP ;) but the ebay add says that you can just stick the chrome mirror covers over the existing black covers, is that right and for anybody out there who has done this themselves do they look ok just sticking them over the original covers ??:confused: I don't want to do anything to damage the original mirror covers and I don't want them to fall off or start to look manky ??

Thanks

Michelle

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,165 Posts
That's right.

If you go to the dealer they will sell you a replacement mirror cap, whereas the eBay item is simply a stick on cover. The replacement mirror cap is a far better solution as it fits so much better, but it's not cheap.

I know that I bought some of the mirror caps from a dealer at £59.99 for the pair, I can't remember where he was advertising for moment though :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's right.

If you go to the dealer they will sell you a replacement mirror cap, whereas the eBay item is simply a stick on cover. The replacement mirror cap is a far better solution as it fits so much better, but it's not cheap.

I know that I bought some of the mirror caps from a dealer at £59.99 for the pair, I can't remember where he was advertising for moment though :(
Thanks for that, no way I am buying stick on covers, I will go to my dealer and get them to fit the proper mirror caps :redface:

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
It is possible to get the replacment clip on version but there quite hard to get - i manged to get a set but a long time ago -i got a spare set cheap & there the stick on version.

The sticky version are not worth the money & fall off as soon as you hit something but if you can find a clip on version they are around -just check before you part with the money

There a great mod if you can find them - i have had a quick look & perosnally there all look like the sticky version - have you looked at the sponsors??

·
Registered
415 Posts
OMG chrome mirror caps are no longer available from BMW?! :eek:
I bought mine from my local "stealer" a few years ago admittedly.
Gobsmacked that they want to charge £10 to fit 'em :eek:
Chrome mirror caps were the first mod I did myself on my MINI.
Really easy to do.
If you're feeling nervous about DIY then if you are in Kent I'm more than happy to travel and fit 'em for you :)

Just seen that you are in Manchester. Oops my bad!

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
You dont need to pay for them to do - i normally leave my broher to do all my mods & this was the one & only mod i did myself - you just have to prise the old ones off & push the new ones on - job done

Honetly woman to woman be brave & do yourself

As i said in my previous post there are clip on version avaliable NOT from the delaer - as i managed to find them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG chrome mirror caps are no longer available from BMW?! :eek:
I bought mine from my local "stealer" a few years ago admittedly.
Gobsmacked that they want to charge £10 to fit 'em :eek:
Chrome mirror caps were the first mod I did myself on my MINI.
Really easy to do.
If you're feeling nervous about DIY then if you are in Kent I'm more than happy to travel and fit 'em for you :)

Just seen that you are in Manchester. Oops my bad!

Thanks for the offer anyway :wink:

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm waiting on 2 white caps and 1 chrome to be delivered from ebay - purchased for the white ones. Not sure why there's only 1 chrome, but it's supposed to be brand new and sealed, so would be happy to sell - just not sure where you could get the other 1 from (unless they send me 2 by mistake...) :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
i busted one of my chrome caps, i just went down to a breakers; £10 jobs a good one! try that! that way you get to see them before you buy and if their nice they will fit them for you!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm waiting on 2 white caps and 1 chrome to be delivered from ebay - purchased for the white ones. Not sure why there's only 1 chrome, but it's supposed to be brand new and sealed, so would be happy to sell - just not sure where you could get the other 1 from (unless they send me 2 by mistake...) :(
Thanks, let me know how you get on, if they send you two then I will buy from you :wink:

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,165 Posts
Remember, if tempted to buy used mirror caps, that a lot of people break at least one of the clips off when removing the cover (this rendering it scrap) and they still offer it up for sale! :rolleyes: Always confirm that all clips remain unbroken.

Tigger.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Remember, if tempted to buy used mirror caps, that a lot of people break at least one of the clips off when removing the cover (this rendering it scrap) and they still offer it up for sale! :rolleyes: Always confirm that all clips remain unbroken.

Tigger.
Thanks, i have now just seen a pair on ebay that appear to be the real deal, they are the clip on ones and are genuine BMW caps, with postage they are £50, so that's better than £80 from my dealer :hmph:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts