MINI Cooper Forum banner

Civic Type-R . . . Mmmm??

4K views 59 replies 19 participants last post by  OnlyS4me 
#1 ·
First it was DiamondGeezer now OnlyS4me has cancelled his S for a Civic Type-R.

I`m feeling a bit jittery about the S now - so many faults discovered (still unresolved?) with the MINI and I`m not even sure about the look of them the more I see.

Not seen an S yet though!

OK! so many MINI fans here dislike the look of the R but you`ll have to agree that it`s a real useful mean machine.

The MINI`s looking fat from the rear for such a tiddler on the inside and I`m not now sure that I will be able to live with it`s coupe-like living quarters all year round.

What`s it gonna be like for long camping weekends for instance?

That boot??

Hasn`t the Type-R just about got most things going for it??

So what is it gonna be - please convince me someone?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi Jakx.
The Civic Type "R" obviously is stuck in your mind. It was the same for DiamondGeezer and for OnlyS4me and it probably will be with Basil.
I would ask yourself what you REALLY would be happy with. My guess is the Civic.
I chose the MINI because it hit all the right buttons with me, and it still does! I may be going through a rejection of my present MINI (with my dealers backing) at the moment, but I still want another MINI.
Go with the Civic, because I think it would be the right choice for you. ;)

PS
I went through the same between the R1 Yamaha and the Honda Fireblade sports bikes. I bought the Fireblade, but my heart was with the R1. Had the Fireblade for two years, but couldn't stop thinking about the R1.
Test rode an R1, and the rest is history! Could have saved myself some money and bought an R1 in the first place!!:rolleyes:

#3 ·
Well, from what I have rea(and I stress read) The civic doesnt really hold a candle to the mini in terms of driving fun! Sure it has the 197 HP motor, but a lot of the on off Vtec noise seems to have been muted. If the Type-R is like the old type-R, then thats a different story, butit sounds as though it's been watered down to much. Hey I will never see one in this country any way so I am probably not the right person to give advice, but Personally, most of the "hatchbacks" that I have been seeing latley look more like mini MPV's, BLECH:eek:.

But go with your heart, Just test drive them both first--its the only real way to know.

Good luck!
These are always tough decisions:(:)

Daniel

#4 ·
thanks

R1 said:
Hi Jakx.
The Civic Type "R" obviously is stuck in your mind. It was the same for DiamondGeezer and for OnlyS4me and it probably will be with Basil . . . I would ask yourself what you REALLY would be happy with . . .
Thanks for your balanced subjective, no flame throwing, views R1.

It`s mostly down to practicality and reliability - but I want performance too!

Sorry to hear about your MINI - but some of those seemingly common faults are also spoiling the previously great expectations for me.

I cancelled a Clio V6 order because I`d fallen for the S2000 - and I have a Eurohatch that`s excellent for most things, carries `bikes and stuff.

The S would have to replace that . . . and I`m not now sure if it can?

The Type-R would be close to the S2000 and is big on space?

And, reliability still comes high on my list of desirables!

I think I know where you were with regard to your `bikes by the way!

Thanks again.

:)

#5 ·
You knew this was coming !
Type R ! Great engine, lousy looking car ! Much like Carol Vorderman.....very smart, but not that great to look at anymore.....!
No news on the S, so no comment on that. Other than it looks like a pile of briefs compared to the Cooper....

Saw another red Civic type R the other day, and was being driven by a brainless imebcile !

Personally as for camping weekends etc, the MINI will accomodate what you need, so will the Honda but leaves more unused boot space! I have fitted the following into my mini.....
Me
2 passengers
3 sleeping bags
2 airbeds
1 big tent
camping stove
bottle of gas
plenty of food
plenty of spare clothes
bottle of water
maps
etc
huge bag of other gear....!

No probs, bit of a squeeze but it can be done !
The MINI will hold all I'd ever neeed, with the Honda you get still get it all in but I doubt you'd get asked about the car.....

#6 ·
Re: thanks

Jakx said:
I cancelled a Clio V6 order because I`d fallen for the S2000 - and I have a Eurohatch that`s excellent for most things, carries `bikes and stuff.
Ahh! Now I see your dilema Jakx!
I also have a general "runabout" Fiat (the wifes car!). Carries mountain bikes, shopping and goes to places I wouldn't park the MINI. So, from my side of the fence, the MINI is my S2000.
If I owned an S2000 and needed another car to do generall work, I wouldn't buy a MINI.
As far as I'm concerned, the MINI is my sports car!
For what you want from your second car a 4x4 would compliment your S2000 better. If you owned two sport-orientated cars then one would never get used! ;)

#7 ·
And the award goes to......R1

Because despite his Mini suffering from every fault under the sun, he is still its biggest advocate.

R1 the Mini has all the credentials to be one of the best drivers cars one the road. But until they sort out its built quality, cars like the Civic Type-R are always going to get a look in.

I am due to trade in my Cooper for an S come August, but I am starting to have doubts aswell. As good as the car is to drive it still suffers from more problems than the Queen mother. Truth be told I wish I had waited a year or two before I got my Mini, but I just couldn't wait.

I am going see how things progress with my Cooper, if BMW sort my car out with little fuss then, I will go ahead. But if it should turn out into being some long drawn out process, Civic Type-R here I come.

LMB:)

#8 ·
does it take one to know one . . . ?

smartbomb said:
Saw another red Civic type R the other day, and was being driven by a brainless imebcile......MINI will hold all I'd ever neeed, with the Honda you get still get it all in but I doubt you'd get asked about the car.....
4 questions smartbomb . . . are you a Doctor, did you mispell `asked` (if so, I`d agree!), do you have very few possessions - and, where do you actually stash your maps?

I can wait for the answers!

:D ;)

#10 ·
Blimey...... another turn up.

I'm a bit lucky, I have an old LWB 6 cylinder Land Rover that will do for knocking about in, the Forester GT will go, but I WILL be getting a bike alongside the Cooper S as well.

I really think that BMW will fix these problems. It's only a bunch of mechanical bits after all. I have been going hot and cold over the MINI but the more I look at what;s on offer, there is NOTHING on the market in oz at the moment that comes close enough for me to try and find a web site on it, like the MINI did.

Jakx, like OnlyS4me, you have to make up your own mind on what you want, and what fits your needs best. But can we all be honest and admit that the MINI is not a practical means of transport. As R1 has stated probably many times, it's a motorcycle with four wheels. Thats what I will be buying. Nothing to do with practicalities.

If I change my mind, I will go much further up market to a Quattro Audi TT, or S3 Quattro or even possibly an SLK merc. My next car is a lifestyle one, and at the moment nothing comes close to the S for the fun factor.

Sorry to go on.......

#11 ·
Its interesting that people have decided that the Cooper S will be poorly built despite the fact that it isn't even launched yet. I guess you've decided that BMW won't be able to learn and the car can never be improved. The S is a different car built a year after the initial launch, it is the flagship of the MINI range and I can't imagine being allowed to go wrong.

I'm not knocking the type R, I think they're rather nice, they're great fun to drive(tried one last week). But you can't compare it to the Cooper S yet, the Cooper yes but not the S.

#13 ·
In terms of build quality, you would have to think it will be the same for all minis (one, cooper, s), so if they can sort out production then they should all be cool - they share so many components and are built in the same factory. The only thing to keep in mind is that the S has some bespoke bits of its own compared to the others, and therefore early buyer beta testing seems likely with it too.

#14 ·
Aiden l,
Carol I think has lost the plot a little bit. The hair exrensions do nothing for me ! Since I saw a pic of Suzi Perry, carol doesn't even figure......(bad pun)
You heard about Carols salary negotiations....
..."2 from the top and fiwe from anywhere else !"

#15 ·
smartbomb said:
. . . .
1, Yes I am a Doctor.

2, Asked has always been spelt that way.

3, Possesions ? none of your business.

4, Maps ? er map pockets.....Einstein.

:eek:
Thanks a bunch for your efforts there smartbomb . . . may I?

1) No you`re not.

2) It`s in the pronunciation.

3) Sorry.

4) So there`s plenty of map space . . and yes I am aren`t I!

You`ve convinced me - your car has loads of room.

Sorry to hear that you and Carol are no longer an item, I thought you would be able to work it out.

Have you managed to ride pillion with Ms Perry yet?

#16 ·
Jakx,
1,In fact I am a DR if you are 8 years old....

2,Has pronucitaion always been mipselt that way ?

3,No offence buddy.

4,I mean maps don't take up much room !

As for gear in the mini, just ask the very surprised guy camping next to us who couldn't believe what we managed to get into the car !

Carol and I finished a while back, I mean when she did that Benecol ad that was the final straw....patronising ol' witch....

As for Miss Perry, I sure have ! Although she wasn't aware due to her being in 2 dimensional form at the time !

That just about covers it ....

:D

#17 ·
yeah! I bet . . .

smartbomb said:
. . . just ask the very surprised guy camping next to us who couldn't believe what we managed to get into the car ! . . . Carol and I finished a while back, I mean when she did that Benecol ad that was the final straw . . . As for Miss Perry, I sure have ! Although she wasn't aware due to her being in 2 dimensional form at the time ! . . . That just about covers it ...
I don`t doubt your word smartbomb but . .

1) Please give me details of "the surprised guy" you roped in to promote your car`s massive interior volume?

2) In your view was Ms Perry pleased with the magazine article.

3) Did she actually say "that just about covers it" or are you using a bit of driver`s licence here?

4) Some say Carol is a calculating bitch how would you sum her up?

Thanks for your cooperation.

#26 ·
Re: thanks

Jakx said:
Thanks for your balanced subjective, no flame throwing, views R1.

It`s mostly down to practicality and reliability - but I want performance too!.......The S would have to replace that . . . and I`m not now sure if it can?.....The Type-R would be close to the S2000 and is big on space?
Jakx

I faced a similar dilema - current vehicles were 4x4 EVO6 and mini (hardly ever used)

I didn't want to get rid of the EVO far too much fun and speed - the mini was worth little and spent most of it's time in the garage(not worth binning not worth seling) and the 4x4 was my preferred option for replacement..BUT I needed something good for long journey's and capable of carrying child and numerous toys etc.

If I ended up with EVO and MINI I could see one or other never being driven (adding to mini never being driven) but the MINI could never really replace the EVO - finally bit the bullet and went for Club Sport and JCC which meant I could handle not having EVO and still had 4x4 for practicality

Unless you have an endless pot of gold you're nearly always going to have to compromise FWIW go with you're gut feeling for practicality and then modified your choice of MINI ie options 'S' etc. to compensate for what you 'think' you've lost

Good luck in choosing

R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.