MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The very first commercial shown tonight after the SuperBowl, at least where I live in Nashville, TN, was for Dairy Queen and featured a classic yellow mini at the drive thru.

I do believe we are about to see LOTS of mini's on tv over here very soon. This and the Target commercial, which I've not seen yet, are just the beginning.

I can't wait for adverts for the BMW Mini to start running, that way people will know what I am talking about when I mention my new car. It's worse than when they see my Triumph motorcycle. "Triumph, who makes that?"

·
Registered
785 Posts
Here's my theory:

We are told they spent lots of money, but not on normal commercial advertising.

What about this:
Pay other manufacturers to use the old Mini in advertisements to remind people (or just let people know) that there used to be a Mini here. So many people in the US never even knew the car existed. But they do know Mr. Bean's car, the girls car in "Some Kind of Wonderful", etc.
Well, if they start seeing the car in commercials, it will get them thinking how cute the car is, and want to buy the new one when it arrives.

So now, after RARELY seeing a Mini anywhere, we coincidentaly have THREE commercials using old Minis.
1)Target
2)Dairy Queen (haven't seen)
3)Saw it used in a commercial for a sale where "people will do anything to get there" with a guy pushing a girl in a Mini UP a hill with the wheel lock (used when you don't pay your parking tickets) on it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ikea advert

Garfield, in Canada #3) is an Ikea advert...

·
Registered
179 Posts
From what my friend tells me there are mini adverts being played before the movies here in Toronto at some theaters. And there are little business cards with different coloured minis for people to take at the counters and stuff. I still have yet to see anything but I hear they are ones talking about size and how smaller is better kinda thing. David vs. Golliath < not sure if that is spelled right.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone noticed how the DVD release in the states of THE ITALIAN JOB just happens to coincide with the release of the MINI?

:)

And at WalMart this week I found a Testor's metal model kit, prepainted with the Union Jack, of a classic mini. Just built it a few hours ago, very nice but I broke a part the front left wheel connects to and lost a couple other bits and pieces in the couch.

I have my Tivo programmed to record anything that has "mini cooper" in the text description, nothing yet but am hoping for a hit before too long.

·
Registered
785 Posts
My Tivo's programmed as well...Don't you get Speedvision? All kinds of stuff on Motorvision, Motor Trend Telelvision, Motorweek, etc.
All stuff we already know, but still nice to see.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
guess I need to add some new shows, I've not seen anything since autoweek did a small thing about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
went to the movies tonight to see Behind Enemy Lines. The F-18 used in the beginning of the movie is the actual jet my girlfriend's brother is the radar intercept officer on. (he was on a training mission in Australia during shooting so wasn't in the film, but he did get invited to the cast party at the grand opening and sat next to Gene Hackman during dinner.)

Anyway,....

During the previews there were two different commercials using mini's. The first one was for a sportsdrink called PowerAide and had a strongman picking a classic mini up over his head. Next came a preview for a movie, of which I forget the title, whose heroine drives a classic mini.

It's driving me nuts.... I found myself pretending my Chevy S-10 was a Cooper S tonight, shifting and everything. It's an automatic. I think I need therapy.

The movie was good by the way, though many parts very unbelievable. As if when you are being chased by a sniper you are gonna sit on top of a concrete damn in full view of the countryside, just to catch your breath. Or as a sniper, while stalking your target, you are gonna cycle the action of your rifle to eject a perfectly good unfired round to chamber a fresh one - CLICKETY CLACK!

oops, sorry.... for second there I thought I was on a fireams message board. :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts