MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've just gotten a MINI Sidewalk Cooper S... loving it to bits. The canvas is a killer to maintain, with all the droppings and pollen that we get around here... Grrr.... I've taken the advice and bought the AutoGlym canvas cleaner kit...

Anyway, the issue I have is with the rims... the Sidewalk rims is unique and unlike my previous rides. I've been trying to clean it with brushes instead of chemical cleaners, but it is exhausting and I can't seem to get them as clean as I wanted to. Given that it is matt-black and even the silver part is actually grooved material, are there any safe rim cleaners that I can use to get the brake dust off?

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Meguires Hot Rims.... its a purple fluid, comes in a spray bottle.

Spray it on, leave for 1 minute, agitate the brake dust with a soft paintbrush (I keep one just for wheel use, gets in round the bolts nicely), then rinse.

Its a very good wheel cleaner, but very gentle too. I even used it on my R90s with polished (bare metal) lip ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Meguires Hot Rims.... its a purple fluid, comes in a spray bottle.

Spray it on, leave for 1 minute, agitate the brake dust with a soft paintbrush (I keep one just for wheel use, gets in round the bolts nicely), then rinse.

Its a very good wheel cleaner, but very gentle too. I even used it on my R90s with polished (bare metal) lip ;)
Hi minicabrio,

Thanks for the tip! Have you tried it on the Sidewalk rims? Cuz it looks different from other rims, and I'm not sure how the black coated surface will take to the Meguire Hot Rims...

I'm using the Megiures tire wet coating (the purple liquid)... that works great, and smells great too! :)

Nelson

·
clubMINI Master
992 Posts
Hi Nelson,

I actually just use a sponge and soap on the black bits, they do take a bit of time, then I either use meguires wax or Meguires trim cleaner. Brings them up a treat and I haven't had any problems. I then use autosol on the metal bits looks great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi

each weekend, i use this megguiars product, instead of hotrims (works well too) because of cost.
meguiars.com: E-Store /Professional (Detailer Brand)>Wheel Cleaners
Really, really efficient and care on my sidewalk rims, no need to use any brush !!
But be careful :
> you have to delite with 4x more water (not use at pure) -less expensive more ;)
> i use the old hotrims bottle for pulverisation but let only 30 sec on the rims and rince harder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help! Really appreciate it... and I'm sure this thread will be a useful resource for all SideWalk edition owners. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts