MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
JP :-)
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunatly when speccin my MINI I opted out of the Clear Lenses :rolleyes: and in hindsight regretted this.

I have been doing some reading on NAM and in particular this thread about removing the Orange Indicatior Lenses from the halogan headlamps:
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - DIY Clear front turnsignal lenses

One of the guys on there has popped out the Orange Indicator from the headlamp, however this was not replaced by a Clear Lense, just some Silvertech bulbs, however is this legal/road worthy in the UK/Ireland :confused: or is a lense all be it orange or clear a requirement in the headlights despite the "orange" bulb ??

Any Opinions, I so want to do this mod but dont want to have any hassle with Mr Plod or Come MOT Time :):)

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
As far as I know JP, as long as they flash orange, that's what counts.

The indicators on the front of the R53 aren't orange, it's just the bulbs - and I've changed those to Silvatec ones.

The Silvatec bulbs are visible in the clear glass of the halos, and when I put the DS through the MOT, those guys had no problems with them :)

·
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know JP, as long as they flash orange, that's what counts.

The indicators on the front of the R53 aren't orange, it's just the bulbs - and I've changed those to Silvatec ones.

The Silvatec bulbs are visible in the clear glass of the halos, and when I put the DS through the MOT, those guys had no problems with them :)
Thanks C... just worried that because there will be no plastic Clear or Orange indicator cover and just the bulb that I may run into trouble.. dont want to do something and then be left with a bill for 2 headlights at some stage :eek:

·
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Surely if it comes to it though, you could buy the covers if you needed them? Or will getting them out ruin/break something in the actual unit?
The covers are not sold seperatly :rolleyes:, one of the Guys on NAM has started making Clear Lenses though, but to replace them on the Halogen Headlamp involves taking the headlight apart at the seal and once you do that your never guarnteed a secure fitment when sticking them back together.

·
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea the Xenon Headlights it's just a matter of replacing the bulbs :)

I might just chance my arm and if I get any hassle I'll plead ignoracce :p:p

Attachments

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
Yea the Xenon Headlights it's just a matter of replacing the bulbs :)

I might just chance my arm and if I get any hassle I'll plead ignoracce :p:p
:p Aye, plead stupidity :p;)

To be honest, as I said, I think as long as it flashes orange, that will be the main thing they're concerned about.

As long as you don't run into bother with moisture getting in, I can't see the biggie. Would the polis even know there was supposed to be a lense cover there, orange or not?!

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
i'm pretty sure on mikeythemini's website (he sells the silver bulbs) it says they are ok for mot. was thinkin of getting some myself

·
MINIac
90 Posts
I think the issue here would be how bright the indicator is without the magnification that the lense provides.

I too didn't spec clear lenses! £50 for clear indicators on the sides I don't think so! Didn't realise it included rear and front lights too! gutted. Have since bought the clear scuttles for the sides but will have to live with the orange lenses front and rear. Worse things to miss off your spec no doubt!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts