MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,

Purchased some clear rear lights from Cool New last week and fitted them. Not a problem. Put all the lights on to check they were working and noticed the brake lights had more of an orange colour to them than red. The fog lights were red though. So I thought, no problem, will replace them with the appropriate philips silvervision P21/5W bulbs. When I looked at the bulb holder I noticed that all the bulbs have been soldered into position! Why????? How am I supposed to change a bulb when it breaks?? Really annoyed at this. The original mini lights I removed don't have soldered bulbs, they simply twist and remove. So do I use the original bulb holders and shell out for 6 new silvervision bulbs which aren't cheap? What do I do????

Cooky

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Firstly wouldnt worry about the slight orange colour-The lights are approved and road legal (in conjunction with red reflectors)
To change the bulbs you have to buy the comple board from BMW which is about £30 I think. Or you can keep your old lights and use the Bulb holder from that, But you would have to buy x amount of bulbs to replace.
You can also claim through your warranty if 1 of the bulbs go within the first 3 years.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks interceptor. I may look into buying some new bulbs and fitting them to my old bulb holder from the original mini lights. Would make things simpler if I had to replace a bulb too. The orange tinge to the brake lights is more annoying, I know I can leave it be and there are no problems. Was wondering If anyone else with clear rear lights on the mini has noticed this or is it just me!

Cooky

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
john_cook said:
thanks interceptor. I may look into buying some new bulbs and fitting them to my old bulb holder from the original mini lights. Would make things simpler if I had to replace a bulb too. The orange tinge to the brake lights is more annoying, I know I can leave it be and there are no problems. Was wondering If anyone else with clear rear lights on the mini has noticed this or is it just me!

Cooky
I know Mikeythemini (newministuff.com) has put clear rears on the MINI and changed the wiring and bulbls (he posted a little "how to" on here), and he just broke the solder and put new bulbs in. That's why I suggested this way. Seems the easiest thing to do?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks paul, will give it a try. have had a look around for those silvervision bulbs for the brake lights (21/5w) which give out a red light but can't seem to find them. lots of places do the silvervision indicator bulbs (orange light) but not red. Any suggestions would be really helpful! thanks..

cooky

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts
john_cook said:
thanks paul, will give it a try. have had a look around for those silvervision bulbs for the brake lights (21/5w) which give out a red light but can't seem to find them. lots of places do the silvervision indicator bulbs (orange light) but not red. Any suggestions would be really helpful! thanks..

cooky
Think I may know a place :)

http://www.boltonbits.com/acatalog/...oltonbits.com/acatalog/Bulbs.html&CatalogBody

He sometimes sells on ebay slightly cheaper, this one's ended but send him a question through ebay and you may be able to get them cheaper :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7932455488&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Yeah, you can buy Silver bulbs etc

But remeber the Bulbs in the MINI Cluster are Osram which throw off a little blut tinge to them. So getting the indicator bulbs are no Problem but I have yet to find a Glow red silver bulb that throws off the Bluey tinge as Osram don't make these :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts