MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
No more MINI
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a jet black color MINI, and i am trying to buy the OEM Clear Tail Lights from the dealership,,, but the prob is,, they say that it costs $378 for the 3 pieces,, and $260 for the wiring harness,, but they can sell me them seperate,,

what i dont know is,, why do i need another wiring harness when these lights look identical to the old ones except it is ALL white.

Will appreciate ur help, thank you

:confused:

·
Cornish Boy
164 Posts
The lights go straight in and are direct replacements on 04 and previous cars. The fitting takes about 20 mins and the only difficult bit is the top spolier on a cooper - the cooperS is easy.

I have a Black MCS with a white roof and teh lights look really good.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Do you have the rear fog lights fitted in Canada? If not this could be the reason you need the harness. I'm not sure, but I don't think BMW do the clear MINI rear lights without the rear fog lights as per UK spec. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
In Canada although the rear fog lights have no switch/software to operate them, they are certainly wired up and have the bulbs that work. I have modded my rear fogs to act as additional brake lights as per the instructions on the FAQ part of Mini 2. I think the dealers are trying to make a killing out of you. From what I've seen on this forum, the lights are 'plug and play', in other words I cannot see a problem with just replacing the three lights. The only thing I'm unsure of is, is it a requirement to have rear red reflectors in Canada. If it is all you need to do is to buy some small (discrete) red reflectors like the ones on the inside of the drivers and passenger door and affix them to the bumper somewhere. There is no real need to go cutting the rear bumper to mount the large (and IMO) ugly red reflectors supplied with the OEM light kit.
Let me know what happens re the install.
Thanks
Ian

·
No more MINI
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
regarding the Red Reflectors,, they said we will advice you to put them but it is up to you whether to put them or not,, so i think i am just gonna go and buy the 3 pieces lights and see how things work out for me,, if the wiring harness is needed,, i guess iw ill have no other choice,, god how changing tail lights could cost up to $650 !!!!

·
No more MINI
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
very nice touch up R1 for the reflector lights.. i donno whether i am going to do that or not but it is really not what am concerned about. Tell me something, did you install your tail lights by your self or did you have someone else install them for you? Did you purchase the Wiring Harness with them ? or just replaced tail lights ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi sa3dos,
I stand corrected. if you take the time to read the thread suggested by R1 you might need to extra harness - something to do with the lights not meeting DOT specifications in the US anyway. I'll let you decide.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
sa3dos said:
very nice touch up R1 for the reflector lights.. i donno whether i am going to do that or not but it is really not what am concerned about. Tell me something, did you install your tail lights by your self or did you have someone else install them for you? Did you purchase the Wiring Harness with them ? or just replaced tail lights ?
I replaced them myself. No harness needed. It took about 20 min including the clear high-level brake light. It's just 2 screws on each light. Just don't overtighten them when you re-install as it can pull the lights into the recess to much and they won't be flush. Do them one at a time using the original one on one side as a template for the new one so you get the level right. It is easy. ;)

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
devilsushi2000 said:
Every time I go there I can never find them..........Not sure what section to look in
I think they were around by the tax disk holders / interior stuff like phone holders ect. ;)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Cheers R1, i'll have a look later, At the moment every time I see a cop car coming up behind me, I turn on my lights so they can't tell the lights are clear, the reflectors just add piece of mind

·
No more MINI
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks a lot for the Info R1,,

I appreciate it,, it seems like wiring harness,, reflectors,, and all of these stuff are nothing but to obey the laws,, i am the last person to obey the laws,, and whenever i get pulled over,, i say i dont know !! hehe,, trust me it works,,, for example,, if they pull me over for Reflector :bad::bad::bad::bad:,, i say "Oh really ? the person who installed me them must have told me about them !!" u gotta play a nice story to the cop that makes him really not wanna give u a ticket becuz u really seem like u didnt know,, unless otherwise he was a :bad::bad::bad::bad::bad: !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
12 Participants
Doallyn
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing