MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Joy!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, a little problem ive had for the past couple of month, but its finally really getting on my tit end. Everytime i turn a corner....mainly left, or go over a speedbump, but need to turn, i can feel a click/clunk in my steering wheel.

now, thiers the odd rattle here and thier, and the driver/passenger windows both squeek after i last cleaned the car (think i need to treat em with the rubber stuff), but the steering thing is got me quite peeved.

what do you think it could be? Is it worth putting it in for to be looked at? I've put off for the past two weeks giving them a call, but as im paying quite a bit, i think it should b looked at.

·
the DASH LIGHT king ? ;)
485 Posts
MaTTy_P said:
Hey all, a little problem ive had for the past couple of month, but its finally really getting on my tit end. Everytime i turn a corner....mainly left, or go over a speedbump, but need to turn, i can feel a click/clunk in my steering wheel.

now, thiers the odd rattle here and thier, and the driver/passenger windows both squeek after i last cleaned the car (think i need to treat em with the rubber stuff), but the steering thing is got me quite peeved.

what do you think it could be? Is it worth putting it in for to be looked at? I've put off for the past two weeks giving them a call, but as im paying quite a bit, i think it should b looked at.
ive known a couple of mini owners now with this prob its it mite be the steering column...u shud be able to get it changed under warranty :D

·
Hangin at the Krusty Krab
844 Posts
MaTTy_P said:

It could be the common steering column mid-shaft bearing problem. I had the same on my first MINI, and it looks like I will be having a 3rd column on this my second MINI. I would have thought BMW would have fixed it by now.

The problem is the location of the outer race of the bearing - for some reason it comes loose, and the clunking you feel is the outer race moving in it's location - it'll only get worse, although it will not affect your steering.

Get it checked out - it will be covered under warantee.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, I've got the same thing. Mine only happens when I turn right. I have an appointment for next week to get it checked out. I will mention the bearing on the steering column to the tech when I drop it off. It's great to get advance info before heading in for any service since I know very little about the likely causes of most problems. :D I have just over 5,000 miles on my Cooper S.

Cheers, :cool:

Pete F.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.