MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Armed to the teeth
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Cooper into the local dealer to get this clicking sound coming from the steering wheel checked out. They told me it needs a new steering column fitted.
The thing has only done bloody 1800miles!!
Anyone know if this is a regular occurance on minis???

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Cannot believe this continues on new MINIs :(

My July 2002 MINI had this fault which was fixed about 18 months ago, it really should have been ironed out by now.

When I had it done there was a three week wait for parts due to the amount of cars that needed it replaced at the time.

·
MINI2 lurker
613 Posts
Its something that you dont actually notice much unless you know about it, until reading some threads I certainly didnt notice, it took mikeythemini to point it out to me. I dont turn lock to lock often.

Anyway, its simply a part of the steering rack that needs replacing.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I had my column replaced last week. I cant believe how tight the steering feels now, a vast improvement. It is like going from a non power steering car to a power steering car!

·
SUCKIN DIESEL!!!!
7,669 Posts
Bavarian didn't replace our column!. they said it's dry bearing - they got the WD40 out and the problem seems to have been cured!
I had thought summat was either gonn break or drop out! :(

·
Registered
803 Posts
I got lucky they had a steering column in stock. They replaced it with no questions asked, very helpful! And they didnt give that old "we have never heard of this problem on a mini before" story. At least mini arent Bulls***ing any more...

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
This is a fault on the MINI that is OVER 2 years old and they STILL have not found a cure.....................I honestly think it sucks.:mad:

Anyone remember the pulling left syndrome.:(

·
Armed to the teeth
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeh I am thinking it's pretty poor that bmw haven't sorted this out - my car was built in May 2004 and from reading the posts on here it's been happening since 2002.
Another thing too - Snows (local dealer) wanted 20 quid off me for a courtesy car. I courteously said "na fanks"

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
icheatatscrabble said:
Yeh I am thinking it's pretty poor that bmw haven't sorted this out - my car was built in May 2004 and from reading the posts on here it's been happening since 2002.
Another thing too - Snows (local dealer) wanted 20 quid off me for a courtesy car. I courteously said "na fanks"
£20 :(

I've never been asked for payment for the loan car but had to provide insurance.

Tell them you wouldn't require a courtesy car if they hadn't supplied you with faulty goods ;)

Either that or take your business elsewhere. Remember that dealers don't do warranty work for free as they bill MINI directly for any work they carry out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My Sept 03 built 04 MCS also had the clicky steering at around 2000 miles.
After my dealer replaced the steering column, it has been fine ever since.

I guess MINI still hasn't figured out what the problem is.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
KatanaPilot
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing