MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took a brand new MCS for a gentle test drive with the dealer a week ago on a warmish day. the car was equiped with climate control aircon. even with the climat control displaying coldest full blast, the air being pumped out didnt feel as cool as the temp displayed. even the dealer agreed with me, so it's not a subjective issue. since that was the only demo car available, i didnt have a chance try out the aircon on a non-climate-control equiped car. has anyone encountered a similar problem with the climate control?

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
I've got climate control, and have found it to be effective on even the hottest days. We had a MINI run on a 44deg celcius day, and it kept up. When the going get's really hot it does help to switch it to recycle.

It definately sounds as though the AC in that car was faulty. Climate is really only an automation system for the normal aircon system.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I know this may seem a silly question, but are you sure that the aircon was on? The green light beside the snowflake symbol, below the auto button, must be on for the aircon to be on.

Auto aircon doesn't control whether the aircon is on or off. It only controls how much engine heat is mixed in and how fast the fan runs, and maybe where the air is directed and whether recirc is on. So if the aircon had been left turned off, turning the temperature down won't turn it on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Malin Dixon said:
I know this may seem a silly question, but are you sure that the aircon was on? The green light beside the snowflake symbol, below the auto button, must be on for the aircon to be on.

Auto aircon doesn't control whether the aircon is on or off. It only controls how much engine heat is mixed in and how fast the fan runs, and maybe where the air is directed and whether recirc is on. So if the aircon had been left turned off, turning the temperature down won't turn it on.
the dealer was there during the test drive. wouldnt it be funny if he had overlooked the aircon on/off button. but i doubt it. anyway, i hope it was a problem with that particular car only.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
The temp shown on auto-AC control is the "desired" temperature. When you first turn the AC on the air won't "feel" that cold. In hot weather conditions, the recirculated-air mode is activated temporarily to enable faster cooling, and the fan blows at max speed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts