MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i clipped my weel on the curb the other day doing about 30mph, now when i drive on the motorway or exceed 50 my front end,steering weel and gearstick wobble like hell...ive had all the weels balanced and the tracking done but its still there..the control arms arnt bent so im guesing its a bent rim even tho there are no signs or tell tale marks that ive hit the rim ...any other ideas what it all could be ?

·
Supercharger Noiseaholic
186 Posts
Hitting a curb at 30mph could have caused some serious damage.
Was it a glancing blow, or did you mount the curb?
Have you got alloys or steel wheels?

You could have damaged an engine mount or buckled a wheel.

Who checked the alignment, MINIs have to have a Beissbarth 4-Wheel alignment, all BMW/MINI garages have them, but places like kwik-f**k and stapleguns only do 2 wheel alignment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just glanced it, it didnt feel or sound that bad..i have the chilli pack ones 8 spooke i think 17"
there is no denting on the rim or visable sign i have hit the curb....i did take the car to kwick fit and i think it was the 4-Wheel alignment that they did..i have also had the car on the ramps and ive been told that everything looks ok...not sure wot to do next really. could change the weels and see if it makes anydiffrence if not then i guess its a mini jobby...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
noticed that the front end only wobbles when im accelerating! thinking it might not be the wheels now...any ideas?

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Have you had the wheel checked/balanced, this would tell you if its buckled.

Mine does this, and I know the front wheel is buckled from clipping a kerb the other week:eek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
how about putting front wheels on back and backs on front and seeing if steering still wobbles, if not its def the rim/tyre. could the wheel just be mega out of balance, wife's golf did same - new tyres on and no more wobble or vibration

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
finaly had the time to take it to mini williams (manchester) and they came back to me saying its the lower engine mount has gone and they nearside control arm bush is split....

they wanted £305 for them to fix it..ther parts only came to £66.22 found the parts at lohen for less and there better than standard...fixing them in tommorow so il give you all an update on how it all goes......bye

1 - 8 of 8 Posts