MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 mini Cooper R56 and I need to replace the clock spring. I ordered one that was from a junkyard and I am told a few conflicting stories. Some people are telling me that this item will need to be reprogrammed for my vehicle, and others are telling me because it came from the same type of vehicle with the same options it will not need to be reprogrammed. Does anybody have any experience with replacing the clock spring and having to have it reprogrammed? Just a sidenote, on this year mini the clock spring contains switches for the blinkers and wipers, and also headlights.

·
Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,516 Posts
compare the part number you have with that suggested on realOEM perhaps, then you'll know if you have the right one, I think these are also known as SZL (maybe) if so, they can be software updated iirc, but should work regardless if the car did have the same spec ie if auto wipers or not and asc 'or' dsc which can be main differences I believe, you'd need to be on a decent diagnostic kit that can update stuff to be able to determine if there is an update report/list available, many cars have stuff pending

·
Registered
263 Posts
Providing you compare the part number as said , no recoding is needed .
The only time it is , when you are adding CC to the car .
you just need to make sure the spring is set correctly, any issues feel free to PM me .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responding to my post. The funny thing, and I guess I should’ve lead with this is that when I called the MINI dealer, they told me the part number that was on my old broken clock spring is no longer in their system has now been superseded to this new part number, which is the one that I purchased from the junkyard. Ps can anyone recommend a somewhat decent diagnostic tool that can do programming on the mini?

·
Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,516 Posts
supersessions are ok, if they looked, they could have given you the old number list, if you click on the realoem number you'll also see it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I gave them the OEM number directly off my clock spring and they told me nothing is coming up. I’ve been trying to find this particular number on eBay or anywhere on the web and had zero luck. That’s what I wanted to excepting the super see the number they gave me. Attached is a photo of the original one out of my car.
Material property Font Rim Nickel Circle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep that’s the part number I gave the mini dealership and they told me it is no longer in their system. It was superseded by part number. 61319253769, so I want ahead and ordered that part number from salvage wholesaler on eBay.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I copied and pasted this for you , it will help you fit it

“it is essential to match the rotation position of the slip ring with that of the one you are replacing (for me that was with the connector at the top, 2 1/4 rotations from its anti-clockwise limit of travel), otherwise you will get DSV error light.”

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all who helped me fix my clock spring issue! Got it working with everyone’s assistance. Now with no blown fuses I just have to figure out why my radio and information screen below. The speedometer is not getting power all of a sudden.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, no luck with getting the radio to work. I don’t know much about it. I know it has been an upgraded HK radio system and I’ve heard there might be an amplifier in the back or something so I have no idea where even to look. I was wondering if the radio itself might have a fuse on the back of it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts