MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 day old clubman is now only a 4 door. The release handle is behaving as if the front door is closed. The large black pin switch at the bottom of the club door operates fine but fails to activate the handle.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Club door stuck shut

Has anyone here ever had their club door not open? Mine seems to be stuck shut - as in it will not open after a number of attempts of locking and unlocking.:( I called my dealership and they'd never heard of such a thing.

I was attempting to display its many wonderful attributes to a very interested neighbor - even gave them my MA's card - when I tried to open the club door - it wouldn't budge.:eek:

Any ideas? If not, I'll report back on Monday after I drive back up to the dealer's.

Just searched in Faults and Fixes and found http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-faults-fixes/154062-club-door.html so at least one other person has experienced this. I think I'll send that link to my MA right now so they'll be ready on Monday.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Perhaps this is just what happened to me? I hadn't thought of checking this forum, so I posted in the Clubman forum.

Took delivery on Monday, it worked fine last night but when I attempted to show it to someone today - there was no opening it. Called the dealer and they said they'd never heard of such a thing. Of course, they are rather new over here in the states. We shall see on Monday, I hope.

P.S. Apparently this issue has made its way across the pond to the USA and not just on my car: MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Club door won't open and within that thread there's a link to another.

Oh well, as long as they can fix it and keep it that way.

Perhaps the thread on this thread and the one I started on the Clubman forum should become one so that all the info is in one place? http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-clubman/156725-club-door-stuck-shut.html#post3421016 Thank you to which ever wonderful Moderator will wave their magic MINI2 wand.:)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
That's a good think to know. But no, I wasn't, but if I had been now that the car has been stopped, driven, started, a number of times - it would work again I'd hope. But I am 99.999% I did turn the car off before I got out to show them everything.

P.S. Billy - so is the club door supposed to automatically work again once the engine is off? According to some newer posts over on NAM it sounds, unfortunately, as though my little cable may be broken.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone here ever had their club door not open? Mine seems to be stuck shut - as in it will not open after a number of attempts of locking and unlocking.:( I called my dealership and they'd never heard of such a thing.

I was attempting to display its many wonderful attributes to a very interested neighbor - even gave them my MA's card - when I tried to open the club door - it wouldn't budge.:eek:

Any ideas? If not, I'll report back on Monday after I drive back up to the dealer's.
Yes, I just had this, if you open the drivers door and look at the bottom of the club door you'll see a black plastic button, if this hasn't fully come back from its retracted position (when the drivers door is shut) then you can't open the club door. I used my fingers to ease it out the last few mm's then the club door worked.

I presume this set up is that a rear passenger can't attempt to open the door until the driver door is open. I gave my switch/button a small spray of oil and tomorrow I'll recheck, either way I'll get Mini workshop to check it at the next opportunity.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Unfortunately, this is not my situation. That little black button is out. Thanks for posting about this though because I'd read about it on NAM MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Club door won't open where apparently someone else had that as their issue - they sprayed silicone on it, as well as the club door cable. I'm afraid mine must be the broken cable - oh well. We'll see what happens next. I imagine they'll have to replace it and hopefully once will be enough:)

Perhaps one of MINI2's wonderful Moderators could merge this thread with the one on 2nd Gen Faults and Fixes? http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-faults-fixes/154062-club-door.html#post3420080 I hadn't realized this thread existed when I started that one and now there are two going.:eek: Many thanks!:)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Good to know but doesn't bode well for mine. I'm sure it will all be dealt with, but won't find anything out until tuesday when I have an appointment. Since these bigger MINIs are so new here in the states my dealership may have to order the part. Not a big deal. :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Yes, I just had this, if you open the drivers door and look at the bottom of the club door you'll see a black plastic button, if this hasn't fully come back from its retracted position (when the drivers door is shut) then you can't open the club door. I used my fingers to ease it out the last few mm's then the club door worked.

I presume this set up is that a rear passenger can't attempt to open the door until the driver door is open. I gave my switch/button a small spray of oil and tomorrow I'll recheck, either way I'll get Mini workshop to check it at the next opportunity.
Guess what - I tried again and this method did work.:) I haven't sprayed it with anything yet, but something will need to be adjusted or ?. I'll be taking it in on Thursday for a look see.

Reactions: westendboy

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Update: Took my car in this morning and waited while the technicians at my dealership in CT, took a look at it and attempted to fix it. Bottom line, although I could open the door if I pulled the black "button" out, is that they have ordered a new cable and a new gasket for the club door.

I can't say that everyone will need to get a new gasket if they develop this problem with the club door sticking, or not. I did notice, however, the day that I couldn't open the club door that first time, that when I opened the passenger's door, I saw a "thin stretched triangle sized" bit of light showing through the club door's gasket on to the inside edge of the car. It made me think that the gasket had pulled slightly away or had popped out a bit...which I mentioned to my service advisor this morning.

I have an appointment for this coming Tuesday for all this to be taken care of and will report back then. Apparently I am the first Clubman customer at my dealership to have come back with this club door issue, but I did tell them that I'd read about several others both here in the USA and overseas who'd experienced it.

That's it for now!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
So, picked up the car with its new club door cable, right away I could see that the small black "button" was sticking out much farther than I'd seen it do so before, and the door seems to be just fine. They did not need to replace the gasket, just managed to put it back into place. All should be fine - if anything changes, you'll be some of the first to know. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cheers ontheroad. My March 2008 build clubman has just experienced the same thing, i eased the black plaic part out with my fingers and the door opened. I'll call the garage and get them to order the gasket and cable he he he...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts