MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my clubman for a about 6 weeks now and put over 2k on the clock, but I'm slightly disappointed with the mpg. It's recently started to creep up from a previously steady 50mpg, regardless of how I drive, to just over 51mpg. Most of my miles are duel carriageway and A-roads to and from work (about 40 miles each way). How does this compare generally? :confused: Although I would never class myself as being particularly light-footed, I'm not exactly hammering the car for every ounce of speed either. I have to say I was hoping for closer to 60mpg at least, especially now diesel is up to an eye-watering 132p/litre! This itself wouldn't be half as annoying as the differential between diesel and petrol going from an average of 4-5p/litre to 9-10p/litre. It starts to wipeout any economy savings of a diesel even when you do a lot of miles each year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ive done 2400 miles in my Clubman D automatic and I am averaging 54.3 m.p.g. Thats covering a 15 mile drive to work on rural roads and general rural driving.I do very little motorway driving.I always have the auto climate on. I use B>P> ultimate as suggested by another clubman owner.

·
Registered
190 Posts
With nearly 6000 miles covered,our Clubman D is averaging 54.7mpg. nowhere near the stated 68.7 combined figure promised by MINI:mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just over 4000 miles since March, and initially I tended to zero the guage at the start of a journey. To begin with I typically got figures of 50-55mpg, with a mixture of steady and more 'spirited' driving. I had 68.4mpg on a ~200mile run round the M25 (heavy traffic, but moving, so speed varying from 45-70mph). The best I have got was 73.5mpg, although this was done for the exercise of seeing what was possible using a warm engine and driving super-conservatively on B-roads.

Over time I have increased the typical mpg up to around 60, eg over the last ~1000miles my average is 60.1mpg from mostly M-way/dual driving (maybe 30% other roads). It was at ~63 after a couple of long Mway trips, but has gradually crept down recently due to a lot of short trips (<20 mi). I haven't really changed anything much, but put the difference from the original 50-55 down to driving slower on motorways (70-75 by the speedo), and possibly warmer weather - I still have fun round corners.

In spring I sometimes turned the AC off, but now it is on all the time, I don't notice a difference.

I have no doubt that if I drove everywhere at 60-65 drafting lorries like some of the prius drivers you see or if I lived in the middle of Norfolk and drove on A & B roads I would get high 60s or 70mpg, but neither is likely for me. Having said that, reducing motorway speed to low-70 really seemed to make a big difference, more so than with my last car (an A6 6-cylinder diesel that seemed to do the same (sub 40) mpg at 70 or 80, and not much different at 90 [where legal of course]).

M

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm averaging 63 MPG per tank, with about 20% motorway and 80% urban driving (total so far 1,500m).

Like TG showed at the weekend MPG is more down to the drivers foot than anything else.

·
Registered
190 Posts
67.2mpg

At last, some decent figures to report!!!

On a visit to Duxford today(approx 120 miles there and back),managed to get 67.2mpg.

driving 65-70mph,air con on 25% of time.

filled up before we left, range indicated 508 miles,when we got back,it was on 500!!! also,only lost one bar on the fuel gauge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its all about how you drive, My wife never goes over 50mph (cooper D) but revs like mad getting upto that speed it feels like being on a fairground ride she gets around 45mpg i am a HGV driver and tend to drive more smoothly i can easily get 60+ mpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't trust the display!! I've only used 3 tanks since I got my Cooper D, but both refills showed that the computer under read by 4-5 mpg. It showed 47 to start with and I got 52 on the first tank, the second tank showed 48 and I got 54 mpg. I am a little disappointed too but it is winter and i have not exactly spared the horses....There seems to be a bigger gap between actual mpg's and tested mpg's. I was thinking of an Insignia eco wotsit, until I read that these will barley get 40 real mpg - a far cry from the quoted 60...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts