MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not happy with the MPG.

I've just changed from a Grand Cherokee V8 jeep, was getting around 19 mpg.

Same journey in my new Mini Clubman only 42 mpg.

If I knew I wouldn't be getting the 60+, I'd have gone for a POOPER S

·
Registered
543 Posts
And what sort of journey are we talking about? (42mpg would be about right for a succession of short commutes around town and I only get 60+ on long journeys taken fairly gently. But 56mpg at 56mph ave is more typical for me!)

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
What is your driving style like?? What sort of journies do you do??

My Dooper did 3000 miles in the time I had it and was getting 54mpg average.

My new S has done 450 miles and is on 36mpg :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
400 of the miles are motorway driving, only got the car last week so took it for a run.

Never driven a diesel before, should I be doing something different.

Was don't around 75 + mph, M1 though so had to spend a lot at 50 mph on cruise control.

Hope it gets better, chose Diesel over Petrol to save on fuel and possible congestion charge.

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
Never driven a diesel before, should I be doing something different.
Apparently.

When I got my first diesel I was getting terrible MPG, until a friend told me to stop driving it like a petrol.

Basically you need to change up through the gears much more quickly than seems natural to keep the revs down, as the torque of a diesel will do much more in a higher gear than a petrol will.

It may not be the most accurate way to describe it, but I was told that apart from low-speed manoeuvres to always be one gear higher than I thought I should be, and it worked!

·
Registered
543 Posts
The D has a very different torque curve so try keeping the revs in the 1500/3000 band to exploit it - and don't floor the pedal - to engage overboost - until you are finished with running-in.

I found the gear-change indicator useful with mine, which is my first diesel too.

·
Mini Madness
341 Posts
If this is your first diesel definitely look at the gearshift indicator as this will help you learn to shift up much earlier than you would in a petrol. We are getting a consistent 51mpg out of our Dubman after 5000 miles but it was low 40s early on.

Chris

·
Registered
424 Posts
So it'll still be as tight as a ... . :eek:

I'd wait until you've finished running-in and added a couple of thousand more; then reset when you fill-up with BP Ultimate and see what it says after that tankful.
You know BP Ultimate really does work, and I'm not imagining it. Car feels so much smoother and i'm getting more mpg too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
- It will improve. Give it a bit of time
- Follow the tips here
- Make sure the car is warm before doing anything (let the engine warm up)
- Cruise Control is a good thing
- Plan ahead and decide what speed you will be travelling at well beforehand

and finally:

- Never, ever brake

These are the tips that do it for me

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry, but cruise control is a bad thing!
Because the cruise control is always trying to keep the car at a constant speed, it has been shown that you can save up to a further 10% on fuel consumption by not using cruise control and not racing up inclines.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sorry, but cruise control is a bad thing!
Because the cruise control is always trying to keep the car at a constant speed, it has been shown that you can save up to a further 10% on fuel consumption by not using cruise control and not racing up inclines.
This is extremely true. You pay a lot for constant speed irrepective of surface terrain and slope.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is extremely true. You pay a lot for constant speed irrepective of surface terrain and slope.
Using cruise at 75mph on a M-way journey from Glasgow to Birmingham I got 69mpg. I doubt not using it would have got me an extra 7mpg. Even if it did I'd happily live with the loss for the comfort of it. Kinds of seems like the same argument for sweating like a pig with the aircon off to save a few pints of fuel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
CooperDee
Was that a displayed 69mpg or an actual fuel consumption? There can be a difference between the two as the computer does not measure the amount of fuel in the tank but bases it on average speed and gear. For this reason it always appears that using cruise control gives a good return.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It was going by the computer but that tankfull gave 540 miles so it certainly wasn't far off 69mpg. Also the car was fairly new - approx 2500 miles on it. The M74 and M6 are rather hilly until you're past the Lakes so all the more impressive.

I've noticed my regular commute MPG has gone up from a computer figure of low 50's to low 60's now I have closer to 7000 miles. I don't bother checking the exact "real" figure as I'm happy enough with what I'm spending on supermarket's finest diesel. I know some folks swear by it but I've tried premium fuel and found no difference other than a larger bill. Your car, your choice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts