MINI Cooper Forum banner

41 - 60 of 280 Posts

·
Mr Big Stuff
3,475 Posts
And another thing....has anyone noticed that if you leave the rear wipers switched on when you leave the car they don't come on again when you start up? You have to turn them off then on again!!
And another 'And another thing' On my old 2003 cooper s I'm sure if you already had the front wipers on and engaged reverse the rears would come on too. In the new clubman this is not the case. They go on to full time when you reverse if you already have them on intermitant, but do nothing if not switched on and reversing......any others experienced this?

PS nothing from dealer about rear seat belt graphic on start up , see earlier thread, anyone....?
I have noticed ...I have had to restart the rear wipers after leaving them switched on.
The full time reverse thing is a good idea Minis used to be good with wipers and after the 05 upgrade they took a step backwards and didnt even self park when you stopped the ignition.

·
ukmini*****
168 Posts
Had a missing rubber seal on the pasenger door like others have noted.

I also had the drivers seat folder mechanism cable come off.
Went in to tell them last thursday. Had it fixed the day after (Friday) And a good wash too!

Great service. Even cleaned the carpets/matts for me.

Darren

·
Registered
14 Posts
SO...has anyone actually got a passenger door seal, was it fitted already or have you had the dealer fit one after you've pointed it out. Mine hasn't got one either and I wanna know if it's worth bothering the dealer about, please advise...

Also, I know I've mentioned it already, but has anyone in the clubman world got the rear seat belt graphic in the rev counter when they start the car. This was fitted to a courtesy cooper I had prior to my clubman arriving, but isn't on my car, bloomin annoying as I thought this was a great way of letting me know when the kids had finished putting their belts on and I could drive away. Again, if there's anyone out there with any answers please advise.....
Thanks, Andy.

·
Clubman D
1,365 Posts
I have been told and I do believe that a passenger door 'seal' isn't fitted to the passenger door anymore, so it is not missing, just simply not fitted anymore.

As for the rear seatbelt light. I do get a red warning light in the display of the rev counter and a bong of course :p if I don't put my seatbelt on quick enough after driving off - down my private drive of course ;) This light comes on if there is someone sitting in a seat and they take their seat belt off, that is driver front and rear passengers.........Unless anyone knows different?

Hope i've helped

·
Registered
3 Posts
We picked up our Clubman Cooper D about a month ago and have now covered nearly 1100 miles in it. It is great, but in that time we have noticed a few 'issues', not all necessarily faults as such so I would like to hear from other Clubman owners with their experiences before bringing the issues up with the supplying dealer.

1) Fuel filling problems

This car is a nightmare to fill up with Diesel - whichever pump we've tried in at least two different filling stations (just filled it for the third time) clicks constantly and interrupts the filling of the tank. If you have the nozzle all the way in then you cannot get more than 0.1-0.2 litres in at a time before the pump stops, no matter how lightly you press the trigger.

The only option seems to be to pull the nozzle most of the way out of the filler neck, which allows uninterrupted filling, but a real danger of overflowing the tank.

Interestingly I have not managed to get more than 38 litres into the tank even when the range was down to a little over 10 miles. My R53 tank is around 50 litres so surely the R55 cannot be smaller, can it? Maybe our fuel gauge is totally out of calibration and there is actually 10 litres left when it thinks the tank is empty?

For reference, the overall fuel consumption from new is showing as around 47mpg on the OBC, and two fills after the dealer fill have taken us to around 1050 miles, so approx 350 miles per tankful (approx 40mpg if each fill is only 40 litres maximum).

2) Wind/road noise

There is noticeably more road/wind noise coming from the area of the B pillar on the driver's side of the car when compared to the other side and our experience of R50/R53 Minis.

Interestingly there is no outer door seal on the bottom of the passenger (nearside) door, as noted in other threads about changes to R56 build spec during 2007 as a likely cost cutting measure by the factory. However the driver's side door has the outer seal, as does the Clubdoor!

3) Faulty Auto A/C thermostat

We went on a long trip (around 75 miles) last weekend during damp and rainy conditions. The windscreen and front windows kept fogging up and I had to intermittently use the 'quick clear' button to use the blower and heated screen to clear it.

About halfway into this journey after I put the heater back to 'Auto' it went totally crazy and started pumping really hot air into the cabin. Even when I dropped the temperature control a couple of times it made no difference so I set the A/C to 'Lo' and even then nothing changed. We turned the heater off for the rest of the journey but it seemed to behave itself on the return journey.

4) Dodgy paint

We have a patch of really rough paint on the inside edge of the RH rear door - looks like a small piece of masking tape or similar was painted over right where there is a line of mastic along the edge of the door skin seam. It's painted, but rough enough that a sponge tears on it when cleaning the car.

5) 'Bonging' from the OBC for no apparent reason

Our car has an annoying habit of giving out three quiet bongs at regular intervals, with no corresponding warning message on the rev counter displays. It is quieter than the low fuel or low temperature warnings and seems to occur at all speeds. At worst it can do it every couple of minutes during a period of a journey!

The handbook is pretty useless at explaining all of the possible causes of the 'bong'.

I would be interested to hear if any other early Clubmans are showing these issues, and if so have they been fixed by visits to the dealer.

Chris
hi there;
only probs i have with my clubman

1= nearly took my finger off when washing car =chrome strip on front of window [RAISED]
2= dont switch itself off now when sitting at traffic lights
will be visiting dealer before to long will keep you posted on progress
HAVE HAD CAR FOR 6 MONTHS 800 MILES ON CLOCK.
sorry for shouting
harryboy22002.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi M111 CGC,

Some things I can help with now from 900 miles' experience in a January-build car:

1: I had problems like yours filling from one pump (only) that had a damaged nozzle tip, but not since. (I always pull it back a cm or so from fully-in so that the sensor doesn't get splash-back from the curved pipe down to the tank.)

Incidentally I'm now a fan of BP Ultimate Diesel, despite the premium price, as the car seems quieter on tick-over and pulls even better - although, like you, I'm still running-in and taking it gently.

2: The wind noise sounds like (pardon the pun!) a dealer job as I don't have that on mine - nor do I have a seal on the passenger door, although that doesn't bother me.

3: I leave my A/C on auto so I can't comment as I've never experienced this.

4: I'd show it to the dealer and ask for a warranty fix and loan car.

5: Dunno! (Mine does it too and I don't care.)

·
Clubman D
1,365 Posts
2= dont switch itself off now when sitting at traffic lights
Mate, if the exterior temperature is below 3 DegC the Auto Stop-Start function is disabled because it may create too much stress on the system apparently. I thought mine had broken, then I read that in the manual. There are all sorts of conditions where it is disabled, I think if it knows you got out of bed the wrong side it disables to try and avoid getting on your nerves! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been told and I do believe that a passenger door 'seal' isn't fitted to the passenger door anymore, so it is not missing, just simply not fitted anymore.

As for the rear seatbelt light. I do get a red warning light in the display of the rev counter and a bong of course :p if I don't put my seatbelt on quick enough after driving off - down my private drive of course ;) This light comes on if there is someone sitting in a seat and they take their seat belt off, that is driver front and rear passengers.........Unless anyone knows different?

Hope i've helped
Thanks, I shall forget about the door seal I think. As to the rear seat belt , I was referring to the graphic I had in the rev counter long window. It was of 2 torsos showing whether or not they were crossed with a seatbelt, it was independent of the small red symbol at the top of the speedo, and it came on at start up. I have asked the dealer why this was in my loan cooper hatch but not in my clubman and am still awaiting a response 3 weeks later. Thanks anyway, I will let you know if I get an answer this side of the next millenium!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello there!

No real problems for me here.
My front fog has a bit of condensation in it. Going to take it to the dealer. Also the air con blower speed dial sticks very slightly, very occasionally.
Hardly anything to really worry about.
Errol (Hot Chocolate Clubman) and I are very happy. :)

Oh, almost forgot..had a cracked windscreen from a stone. Hardly the car's fault. In fact, I'm happier it hit the windscreen rather than the bodywork. I'm sure it was a breeze block that hit me. Anyway, that was sorted and the AutoWindscreen bloke wanted a tour of the car.. :p Best car I've ever owned.

3 months in, 6,500 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two problems on the missus' Clubman.

1. The 'van' doors were poorly aligned, the handles didn't meet up properly.
2. Washer jets went a bit feeble, needed a new pump.

·
Astro Black Clooper
45 Posts
About this door seal... it had me thinking, if they didn't want to fit it anymore why are the fitting holes still there and not blanked out.

Plus, when I wash my car I usually find that area of the car wet, probably the same effect as driving in the rain. Is there not a problem with water ingress into the door panel through the holes??

I can understand them wanting to cut corners on costs, it just seems silly that they decide to leave out a part of the door yet leave in place holes were water can get in.

I can see a few rust warranty claims appearing in 2-3 years time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My wife has had 2 issues with her Clubman Cooper.

She picked it up on the 22nd December.

The 1st Problem (1st week) was that the when the windows drops when opening the door and then goes back up when closed. It didnt return to the same position. Left gap between window and frame.

She rang Mini emergency service and they were out within the hour.

The 2nd Problem (Last sunday) the clubman door would not open. Trying the door handle and nothing happened.

We drove it straight to Robert Stern and they gave us a Convertible didnt have anything else. (Didn't like it at all) They looked at it monday and it was fine. But they said it was more than likely connected to the previous issue and ordered the parts to change the window and door mechanics.

And they brought out a Clubman S for us, as Convertible was not practical for wife needs. I had a drive in the S and it was nice, But actually perfered the softer drive of the cooper clubman. (This coming from me who has a MCS)

We have got the car back now and all seems fine.

And i was very impressed with both Mini emergency Services and Robert stern for sorting the problems out so quickly.

Andy

Things are getting from bad to worse.

Last friday the window issue retuned (Drivers side again), but when they looked at it apprently it was a different issue but caused the same problem.

Got the car back yesterday. (Had a Cluman Cooper S which i enjoyed driving.)

But this morning the Window issue returned but this time to the Passenger door.

My wife is not happy. (i think that might be the understatement of the year)

She is actually looking at giving the car back now.

As she has had it less than 2 months. And there has been 4 issues.

Does anyone have any advise on where she stands in regard to handing the car back.

Regards

Andy

·
Registered
543 Posts
Someone suggested a while back - I forget who - that the window problem is a small software glitch that's easily cleared by lowering the window completely, holding the switch for a few moments and then switching off the ignition. The problem should have gone away (apparently!) when you switch on again and raise the window.

No promises mind!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Someone suggested a while back - I forget who - that the window problem is a small software glitch that's easily cleared by lowering the window completely, holding the switch for a few moments and then switching off the ignition. The problem should have gone away (apparently!) when you switch on again and raise the window.

No promises mind!
It was me who had the problem and I tried that and it worked. Not happened since.

No problems for me and I've had the car since just before Christmas and I love it. I changed its name to Terry Thomas due to all of it's Ding Dongs! :biggrin:

·
Registered
41 Posts

No promises mind!
The 1st time it happened it was reset this way. But since then Robert stern have tried resets and have not worked, so have replaced various motors, bits etc...

Cause as i have said before the Clubman door would not open either. This has only happened once so far.

So i think there are serious issues, more than just a glitch in my wifes car.

But we will see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2500 miles in and 'touch wood' no issues. That is, except one cracked windscreen, replaced last week, and now the new one is chipped as well! Anyone would think my commute around the M25 was a Welsh rally stage!

As to the bongs.... I noticed that placing a bag beside me on the passenger seat could fool the seatbelt/bum sensor in the seat to believe the 'occupent' had removed their belt, resulting in the occasional bong on a fast roundabout, bump etc. By the time I'd checked the display the bump had passed, the sensor believed there was no-one in the seat again and the display was blank again.

Not sure if this is any help to anyone, but it might explain things for some!

Enjoy,
Andy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
1st Problem

We had a problem with the switch on the heated front screen but that was changed on Monday and its fine now.

2nd Problem

Monday they checked the rear wipes being out of syn as they couldn't change them without doing some checks first and getting the ok from Mini, they are going to replace both motors as they dont know if just replacing one would work, booked in for 3rd March.

Now a 3rd Problem

To cut a long story short I had to pick up my German Shepherd Dog up from the vets as hubby had to go to work, so I had to use the Clubman so I put the rear seats down, the head rest on the near side would not come out fully as the other two did so the seat is not flat. We rang Mini and they are going to look at it when it goes in to have the rear wiper motors changed. If I hadn't had to put the seats down to get the dog in would never have known.

Sue

41 - 60 of 280 Posts