MINI Cooper Forum banner

41 - 60 of 209 Posts

·
nice
36 Posts
They seem to be selling fine in my area - Cheltenham does seem to be Mini city central but I seen Clubman's regularly - easily more than a dozen different cars - although only a couple have been 'S's :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am gutted Beastmaster, the yellow clubman is probably mine in worcester, i have not seen another yellow one in worcestershire. I will stick with the yellow as i don't think that there are many brave or daft enough buyers to go for the colour scheme. Ian

·
any day now....
141 Posts
I was in Kearys MINI in Cork (Ireland) the other day and the salesman said that they thought it might do a little better than it is doing. I dont know if that is BMW or Keary's themselves, but in Ireland at least, I think the price is going to put people off it a bit. At 30K euro it very pricey for the amount of metal. The ONE does better in Eire, due to lower import duties. The R56 hatch has never put a longing in my heart that the R50 did, but I am sold on the clubman. Hook, line and sinker!

Even though I will be buying mine in the UK, I am a bit concerned that so few people are buying one. I plan to keep this car a long, long time but if I ever did have to sell quickly I am keeping resale values in mind. I think the clubman might not be as successful as hoped, but I think there will be a very loyal following, so hopefully residuals should be strong. With weak-ish demand I might be able to get a good deal.

Brian.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
I find it a real shame that we have lost quite a few members of our club over the last few months (New MINI Kernow) when each of them needed something more practical than their current MINIs. They all looked at the Clubman first and then went and bought something else :(

Reasons ranged from it being impractical (too small, unable to sensibly hold three rear seat passengers, that "club" door), the looks and the high price :( No members have bought one yet.

·
Mr Big Stuff
3,475 Posts
Your better off without them if they cant manage with a 3 door Mini then the Clubman is hardly a shining ray of hope. If people want a big car they will buy one its like the muppets who buy vast people carriers in case their child wants to bring his friends along (yeah and a roll of gaffer tape)
people think they need a huge boot then use it twice a year and 3 backs seats once a month.
Theres a big difference between a Mini owner and an enthusiast I have only ever run one car always a Mini or MINI I disassociated myself from my Mini owners club when the majority of the committee didint even drive Minis and held a secret vote on the new MINI.

Funny it took ages to see an R56 but at the moment they are outnumbering the R53 round here on daily sightings.I am finally starting to see one or two Clubmans out and about not that I want to its nice to have something different with the 500 hogging the limelight at the moment.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
Shaun,

Anyone who's met us knows that we often carry an outrageous amount of stuff (the three of us PLUS camping gear / picnic table / chairs / gazebo / border collie etc, etc!) and we'll do just about anything to cram it all in the MINI and avoid the need for a big estate car! (see thumbnail below) :eek: So I see what you're saying....

However, two of those members were absolutely descimated to loose their MINIs yet I could still understand their reasoning :(

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry must disagree

Sorry I must disagree :smile:I love my clubman. I wanted a mini for a long time and went and looked at them twice and because of the room in the back and the boot I didn't bother first I bought a rover 25 :confused: and second I bought a Mitsubishi colt :) both quite good cars but I wanted a mini really lookin envious at every one that went past.Yes its still not the best in the back room can be tight but I don't sit in the back the daughter does and she likes it ,I'm sick of the clubdoor arguments sometimes i use it most times i don't because its difficult when parked next to another car as for the boot I can get everything in I want 2 including 2 dogs so its OK in there so I'm happy yes i could have made a few better choices with the option list when i bought it but never mind Ive now got what i want
:smile::smile::smile:

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
I'm sick of the clubdoor arguments
I'm really pleased for you that you like your Clubman and agree that, for some people, the Clubdoor is not an issue. However, being "sick of the Clubdoor argument" makes it no less valid a reason for those people who have looked at the Clubman and decided to spend their hard earned cash elsewhere because of it :(

I seem to remember MINI UK dismissing, out of hand, arguments about the Clubdoor in just the same way at the launch meeting in Oxford; casually dismiss customer feedback at your peril BMW :(

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
They appear to be selling like hot cakes (aka pancakes) in the USA and getting great coverage in the media. Obviously, I'm quite smitten with them.:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
"sick of the Clubdoor argument"

Yes I think it would have been better with 4 proper doors but it wasn't to be and how long would the car have been with 4 doors and being to long would affect the handling etc and take the mini fun away:rolleyes: but the main thing i was sick of was the amount of people that would have been killed and injured because of getting out of the clubdoor on to the road as all the car reports suggested
:confused: maybe they will listen when the face lift is due:smile:

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
Let's hope they do, though they haven't made any sheet metal changes on a face-lift yet.

·
Mini Madness
341 Posts
...... but the main thing i was sick of was the amount of people that would have been killed and injured because of getting out of the clubdoor on to the road as all the car reports suggested

And do people really believe every Mini hatchback (or any other car in fact) driver gets out of the passenger side door everytime they have to park on the road side just because their own door is exposed to the traffic?

"The club door is on the wrong side.....".YAWN YAWN :aargh:

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
To the people who think the club door side is not an issue... whatever.

You have a MINI enthusiast here with two kids who voted with his feet because of A)clubdoor (side and quantity of clubdoors) and B)price. Once someone has left MINIDOM it's always harder to get people back as people may be happy with the way they have gone so I think MINI have a strategic issue here.

I can't help but wonder how much more successful it would have been with two doors.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't care about the clubdoor, but I like my Clubman.

For those of you who think it is of great importance that You don't like the car, Mini will fold because You dont like the Clubman, Clubman owners will not be able to give away our cars because You don't like it and so on...., give me a break. The Clubman is not built to make the world population agree on one car model, once and for all.

·
Fly Heli's they're fun!
194 Posts
Well in NA the club door is on the passenger side (curb side), and I like it, although I would say having it on the other side would be quite nice actually (as that is the side I need to help the kids in and out of anyway). So it would save me walking around the car.

I think it would have been nice to have 2 club doors. Otherwise, I think the car is quite practical (hence the reason I upgraded from my 05 hatch to the club). It provides just enough space for 99% of the things I do. I agree, people who want larger cars will get larger cars, but will have other compromises too. There are a few things I wish they did different on the club, but in general are quite happy.

They are doing quite well for sales over here!

·
any day now....
141 Posts
Once someone has left MINIDOM it's always harder to get people back as people may be happy with the way they have gone so I think MINI have a strategic issue here.
Interesting point there. I think what BMW is cautious of stepping on the toes of its own 3 series. Not to drag up the Rover debacle, but BMW spectacularly torpedoed the 75, which would have been a serious threat to the 3 series. The MINI is now, more than ever, a product of BMW, and I see it as a way to get people into the BMW group as early as possible. MINI is what you might call a 'lifestyle' brand. I think the clubman is as large as we will see, other than the SUV, as BMW probably wont have an "X1"

Personally I love the clubman, and there is an air of exclusivity to it as well, its different and divides opinion.A real marmite car! Every estate agent has a MINI now. I made that comment to a dealer and they asked me "so you're in that line of work?" like it was something completely normal and commonplace!

Brian.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love my Clubman more than any of the 14 cars I've had. It seems to be really popular here in the States. I waited 782 days for mine and it was worth the wait. I even wrote an article for Roundel about my obsession.
Now I want to sell my BMW 330 convertible to be put on the list for the 2009 MINI Cabrio. I would rather have the two MINIs to choose from than any other car out there. And I am very happy that it was made in the UK. :D

·
Mr Big Stuff
3,475 Posts
Interesting point there. I think what BMW is cautious of stepping on the toes of its own 3 series. Not to drag up the Rover debacle, but BMW spectacularly torpedoed the 75, which would have been a serious threat to the 3 series. The MINI is now, more than ever, a product of BMW, and I see it as a way to get people into the BMW group as early as possible. MINI is what you might call a 'lifestyle' brand. I think the clubman is as large as we will see, other than the SUV, as BMW probably wont have an "X1"

Personally I love the clubman, and there is an air of exclusivity to it as well, its different and divides opinion.A real marmite car! Every estate agent has a MINI now. I made that comment to a dealer and they asked me "so you're in that line of work?" like it was something completely normal and commonplace!

Brian.
You have a good point I wouldnt have entertained a BMW until I got my MINI.

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
I popped into a local dealer and asked how the clubman was selling. She said "slow at first but we think it's picking up". Hmmm...

41 - 60 of 209 Posts