MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've noticed a lot of people talking about the Cooper and D variants of the Clubman - does no one own a Clubman S on here?

I have my beloved Clubman Cooper S in chocolate brown, silver roof/pillars and chocolate brown lounge leather. It is, quite simply, brilliant.

I've driven 2 "normal" Cooper Clubmans and they are lovely cars - if a little over-geared - but the S is a different car altogether. Really, if you're considering a clubbie my advice would be to at least try one- sacrifice some "toys" if you need to save cash, but at least try before you make a decision.

I haven't driven a D - I would imagine the roll-on performance is better than the normally aspirated Cooper, but with the S you get torque by the bucket from 1800rpm PLUS a big "rush" at the top end.

The only down-side I've found is that the 17" wheels and run-flats make for a bit harsher ride, but as most Cooper owners seem to fit these anyway I doubt that'll be a consideration - if you want plush, buy a mondeo!

I even get better fuel consumption with the "S" than with the petrol Coopers I've driven....though admitedly the 38-48mpg I've been getting to each tank (average - depending on town/motorway mix) is nowhere near what the Diesel model would probably get.

You know what....all varients are WAY more liveable-with than a hatchback mini.....That extra space makes ALL the difference!

We all love our Clubbies, eh?!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Cooper S Clubbie and a Cooper hatch. The Clubbie seems very Marmitey, with, in my unscientific tests, most people disliking its looks, particularly compared directly with the hatch.

That engine is a peach though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi benptooey,

Yeah - you love it or hate it, depending on whether you are one to go with the crowd or not. I actually can't see what there is to dislike - the front is the same as any mini, the doors at the back are nothing if not "cool" (Hands up all who've had old-style mini-estates in the family?!). The only bit I could see as being contentious are the roof "bumps"....which I can kind of see changes the line of the car a bit.

I still don't understand how the RHS rear door causes controversy, though - how is it different to using a 4-door or a 2-door? Surely it's a 2-door if it's too "unsafe to get out of the RHS" and a 4-door for getting grandma in the back??! In many ways it actually suits the UK market BETTER - you have an uninterrupted view through the Near-side window when reversing (no-pillar) you can't see out of the window directly over a drivers shoulder anyway.

Each to their own, eh?! For us it's our main car, so we needed something to drop the seats in to go to the tip, stick luggage (Christmas Presents!) in the boot etc and the extra boot-space meant it was a possibility (where a hatch wouldn't have been).

·
Registered
17 Posts
No, I find that I'm on the correct Club door side for getting out in equal measure to the wrong side. How often do you only unload at kerb side? Most of the time I'm in a car park or in my driveway where it's just as convenient where it is. Plus I can open it and let somebody out of the back without getting out of the drivers seat (after undoing my belt of course :) ).

It's my main car too. Did a grand job getting Christmas presents and luggage 350 miles from Scotland last week. The hidden lower section of the boot was particularly good for protecting and storing all the small presents and bits and pieces with the heavy cases and bags on top.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have our Pepper White Clubman S for a month now and totally love it!

Storage space is ample for us and very versatile. The back seats fit an adult and 2 dogs comfortably. On long drives, the Clubman drives well even with strong winds, overtaking is obviously a breeze compared to our previous 4WD. I have no issues with the suicide door that everyone takes about, you just get over it and stops any suicide attempts. Love the split doors at the back, makes picking up small items at the back easy in confine spaces. The nav system is better than what we expected, especially how the nav integrates with ipod (without the map on screen).

On top of all that, the Clubman is well built, easy to maintain and still put a smile on our face as we get into the car every morning. I for one, actually prefers to see less of them on the road! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you love it why bother what anyone else thinks..................................
I am with Iain - who cares what somebody else thinks!:D Have had my clubbie for just over a month now and love it. Traded in a Mercedes C-class and never looked back. I like the look of the hatch too, but the MCCS has just enough extra space to make it the better arrangement for our family. I actually wish the clubdoor was on the left side as I am in the US and would find it more convenient for tossing stuff into the back seat. However, as it is, it is better for when the kids are piling in and out as it is curbside....so pros/cons either way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with the OP statement that the Clubman S is very underrated.
It really is the best balance on the market between style, performance and practicality and the Turbo engine hauls when you drive it hard.
It's my only car (save for a Vespa) and we travel big distances up and down the Oz coast regularly. All our camping gear can be accomodated and it suits our lifestyle perfectly. Fuel consumption is good when you are being tame, but what's the fun in that?
I had the Diesel hatch as a loaner for a week and could not wait to hand it back. Whilst it handled like a MINI, the little tractor engine just didn't make me smile like the Clubby S does.

·
Caution!! Girl Racer!!
229 Posts
Had my 'S' Clubman since February and still loving every minute. I dont use all the space very often, OK so virtually never, but in the looks department this car rocks.
Even though there are a now a few club'wo'mans about it still gets curious looks no matter where you park. One couple even asked to have a look inside when i was parked at the supermarket.
Versatile, fast and a head turner and thats just the clubman :biggrin::p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts