MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am going to buy a Mini Cooper D, but am finding myself intrigued by the Clubman.

1. Is it REALLY more practical in use?
2. Does it feel as much fun to drive?
3. Longer term will it retain its value?
4.What are the must have accessories
5. And does pepper white with silver trim look good?

P

·
Oh good grief!
5,277 Posts
I think I am going to buy a Mini Cooper D, but am finding myself intrigued by the Clubman.

P
yes
yes
who knows?
depends on the size of your wallet!
yes
:D

·
Registered
543 Posts
yes
yes
who knows?
depends on the size of your wallet!
yes
Wot he sed.

But a well-specced Clubman D is going to be the wrong side of £21K so only you can decide if the convenience and all the other benefits are worth that. (I have no regrets at all, and am still in love with my BRG that I wouldn't swap for a white one - or anything else for that matter.)

·
Clubman 'S' Power
343 Posts

P
Yes
Yes
Yes
Chilli pack
No

·
Saltire
108 Posts

P
1: yes
2: yes
3: i hope so
4: bigger wheels
5: prefer pepper/black ( was parked next to one today, looked really smart.. was actually my first choice till i saw the Hot cocolate Clubby in the showroom... :D )

·
Mr Big Stuff
3,475 Posts

P
1 Yes
2 Yes and a bit more oversteer to boot
3 Dont care only spent 16k on it
5 Sport button at least pepper pack and mmmmm heated seats
5 Prefer black

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all.

Is it true (see Auto Express this week) that "dealers are finding it hard to sell the concept of the Clubman to enough buyers"? Can one do better deals on Clubbies that Minis?

I like thes black wheels? What are they? And dlpruk - what a classy spec!

·
Oh good grief!
5,277 Posts
Thanks all.

Is it true (see Auto Express this week) that "dealers are finding it hard to sell the concept of the Clubman to enough buyers"? Can one do better deals on Clubbies that Minis?
Depends on which market they're talking about?

In the US and Canada dealerships are sold out and you can only buy to order! ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks all.

I like thes black wheels? What are they? And dlpruk - what a classy spec!
I haven't seen the article yet but are Auto Express saying that not enough people are buying the clubman or not many Mini buyers are sold on its "more practical mini with loads more room, useful clubdoor and rear doors for loading" spiel that they are being encouraged to spout?

Looking back at some internet reviews last year, it seems that Mini were being pretty conservative in how many clubmans they were expecting to sell anyway and so production figures were much smaller than the hatch - and those cars last year all sold very quickly. Personally, I think it's a bit of a "love it or hate it" car and I suspect that the hatch will always be more popular. My local dealer says that it is selling pretty well (although they would they say that anyway!!!) and certainly, the models in their showroom do not seem to hang around too long - although I'm still not seeing too many on the road. As for discounts, I doubt you would be able to get too much off any Mini whether it's a clubman or not - I searched with the fairly big car broker that I have used for previous cars and the very most they could offer me was £300 off a reasonably well specced Cooper S.

I am personally "stepping down" from a 4x4 to a more economical clubman - our second car is a Mini and we love it so I figured, why not have two Minis? We were lent a clubman as a courtesy car and although the boot isn't huge(but bigger than the hatch) and the clubdoor is a pretty useless gimmick, it does offer more rear legroom and overall is more practical than our hatch whilst retaining the same driving qualities. My local dealer says with the high fuel costs and road tax increases due next year, lots of people in my position are showing increasing interest in downsizing to a Mini. I have noticed used prices on the Range Rover brigade and big executive saloons have plumetted recently. In the face of that, I guess there is no reason for Mini dealers to discount - not that they ever really have done or needed to!

I too was looking at the Cooper D at first but as dlpruk says a decent spec one will set you back quite a lot of money. By the time I specced one up, it was close enough to a Cooper S that I went with the S - I went for pepper white and black like most people here too!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Darth. Interesting. Funny - Clubman draws all sorts of views.

I saw one in pw with black wheels and thought it super cool. My wife saw a black with black one and thought it looked like a small hearse!

·
Mr Big Stuff
3,475 Posts
I looked at several small cars and some medium sized but the MINI Clubman was best value.
No service costs, decent fuel economy and above all its a MINI.
It seems to me the love hate has been split more towards non Mini owners love it Mini owners (with exception) hate it.
As if its an affront to there super cool image as a Mini owner. Funny that these people have no issues with someone owning a Golf or an A3 or running a second giant car like an SUV or suchlike instead but the practicality the Clubman offers no way not allowed.
Put simply no Clubman = No Mini for me that would be a sad day as i have run minis for over 15years.

·
Dominique et Karine
197 Posts
I prefer the hatch, I more than happy with hatch, the clubmna S is too heavy driving sports other in moutains, hatch chassis is more player

I sold my R56 S but I regret purchasing the Clubman, I was wrong. I'm trying to sell it to buy a new hatch S R56.

The Clubman is nice with the doors, but that's all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
clubman

clubman what a hoot to drive no bother with mine its far better with the engine re maped 150bhp yee haa as for the colour black with black canny beat it yes its a cooper d

·
Stooey
87 Posts
It's gotta be PW with black roof and piano black trim with chrome line. Does it for me.
I love my little Clubbie. All the more so as I picked up a new washing machine from Curry's this afternoon. Cant do that in a hatch. Nuf said!!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you want to have anyone in the back other than small children, the Clubman is a better option. Also, we had a direct comparison with someone at the supermarket this weekend - they had shopping in boot and across back seats, we had a similar amount all fitted in the boot with room to spare....

Some people don't like the Clubman's style, but if you like it, then buy it!

Also, really consider "nearly-new" - you could save a small fortune.......we did. Do you really need the Diesel? For sure it's economical, but a few thousand buys A LOT of petrol...

Colour is your choice - have what you want! We've got Chocolate Brown and Silver with Brown leather - we like it, who cares if anyone else does (though most seem to!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well..

I may also be biased.. cos I have a clubbie too but..

For me.. I havent driven a normal R56... but the clubman definitely has more space in the boot and in the back...especially if you take out the false floor. We have two kids 2yrs and 4yrs... the space in the back for them is plenty and have had no issues with adults either.

Went for the clubbie due to this reason and being a cooper S with speed / tune potential along with the TLC pack and running costs* (*not a major consideration) what with the warranty and aftersales care too was a no brainer.

Ours is Sparkling silver fully loaded with sat nav etc and has hot chocolate leather with the cream piping and fascias.... which was an initial hit with us and looks smart but still retro.. car cruises lovely on the motorway, 38 mpg at 75-80.. cant be bad,

Just had it remapped at Performance Torque and Will said it was the 5th Clubman he has done that has made more power standard than a "normal" mini cooper S...(200bhp)... Why?... he doesnt know.... But car is so much smoother and quicker than it was and wasnt even bad before.. its a complete joy to own...power delivery is sooo linear.

Right enough.. the diesel would be better on fuel.... but... the S will definitely be more fun to own and cheaper to buy for any negligible fuel saving.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
There are several simple ways to test the difference. My decision was between Clubman and more inexpensive and smaller Italian retro. One of the first things in a showroom was sitting on rear seat when in a vehicle having drivers seat in normal position. That was enough to know the difference: In the other car I was not able to sit streit and I am only 5'10". The other thing is to place maximum weekly shopping bags in the cargo space. If they fit easily you have enough room, if they don't you haven't. My three bags fitted nicely in clubman.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
22 Participants
Drewuk
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing