MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to highjack this thread a little Dinger, I hope you don't mind... :)

Smartbomb, why are you having a dig at Mini clubs that don't accept the new MINI? There is nothing childish about not accepting the car. Clubs are (or should be) for their members and as long as the club has asked for members opinion on the acceptance of the new MINI then the outcome is irrelevant. Most clubs are run democratically and if the majority of members don't want to include the new MINI in there club then surely there is nothing wrong with this? It is the same as if the majority of members do want to accept the BMW version.
Sorry to have a moan about this, but clubs forcing their committee or chairman's view onto the members really annoys me (ala British Mini Club and the National Mini Owners Club who both accepted the BMW MINI without asking for their members views).

Rant over :)

Mon

PS I have no problem with any Mini club accepting the new MINI...as long as the members were given a vote on the issue and the majority voted in the car's favour.

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Mon,
What I'm getting at is that my club is allowing MINIs into their ranks. Which suits me fine. I was at Stanford Hall last yeay and a club (can't remember which one) was asking people to sign a petition against the MINI being allowed....not for !
I know a small minded guy who owns a mini and wouldn't give the MINI time of day, however I have own a mini, have driven countless others and refuse to get caught up in the petty views of people like him ! and there are plenty more out there and I have met a few ! I'm not having a go at you at all Mon, far from it. I just find the whole mini v MINI thing extremely tiring, and if the MINI isn't allowed to certain shows and events this year, then I'll take my gate money and spend it where it is welcome !
I attended Southern mini days last year and can honestly say it was the most awful car show I have ever been to, no wonder MINI owners are having a hard time if the sort of people they are trying to 'win over' are people whose idea of fun is to make as much noise and mess as a small civil war. Oh and charge almost £20 for 2 adults and a child to get into the battlesite (showground).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply smartbomb. What annoyed me about your original post was the comment "I'm in a mini club already, which will accept the MINI, yes very grown up of them !". This implies that clubs that do not accept the new MINI are childish. Clubs are for members and if the majority of the club's members do not want to accept the car then there is nothing wrong in that. I also see nothing wrong in a club asking people to sign a petition against the new MINI. I would view a club asking people to sign a petition FOR the new MINI in exactly the same way.
What I find annoying about the new MINI being allowed into Mini clubs, is that some of the larger clubs (such as the British Mini Club and the National Mini Owners Club) have both accepted the car without asking the views of their members. Now this issue here isn't whether the car is or is not accepted at the club, but that the clubs didn't even believe that their members views were important enough to consider. I don't know about anyone else, but I only want to be part of a club that is interested in my views.

Mon :)

PS My local club will not accept the new MINI after an all member vote...
PPS No I didn't vote to keep the car out, I (along with about 3 out of 150 members voted to allow it in!)
PPPS Not giving the MINI the time of day doesn't make you small minded. The guy is just expressing his own opinion. This is no different from MINI owners expressing an opinion that their new car is a "real" Mini.

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Mon,
I'm not calling the clubs childish, it's just that some mini people I have met are ! A guy I know has a mini, as do I and just won't listen to any rational arguement whatsoever !!! I suppose I'd like all the min and MINI owners just to get along, but this sadly seems to be a fairy-tale. There are bigger issues in the world.....some just don't see it.....
I take all your comments on board as you seem to have a very level headed view about the whole mini MINI thing. Just wish that open mindedness was more widespread !
I agree that if clubs vote then that's their decision, as MINI clubs are now being formed which can cater for them.
Why can't everyone just get along, please !! I love my mini to bits, but fancy a change, at least I'm still buying a MINI in whatever shape or form it comes in. My club and I attend a number of shows each year and have met some great people at them, we'll have to have a chat at one ?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mon,

I think smartbombs comment was a little tongue in cheek, you know funny! Have you lost your wonderful sense of humour we read so much about:)

Why don't we all just chill out a bit and have some respect for each others cars?

Cheers

Ears

PS I get better waves from mini owners!!:)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bigears, the point of my post wasn't anything to do with Mini V MINI stuff. I was actually having a dig at clubs that make important decisions about the club without bothering to consult their members (you know, the people that make a club a club!). I don't know about you, but if my club wanted to make a drastic change without consulting the members, then I wouldn't be a happy chappy. I'm not interested in how the vote goes, but that a vote occurs (I'm a big believer in democrasy). If you want to be told what is acceptable in a club, then join the British Mini Club or the National Mini Owners club. If you want to be asked your opinion about such important issues, then join a club that is interested in its members and not just in their money.

Monsta as I explained above, it was not about whether clubs should or should not accept the new MINI. It was about whether the existing members should be asked their views about such things (which I'm sure most people here would appreciate).
Ask for member's opinions, don't dictate opinions to them. Before you send your money to British Mini Club or the National Mini Owners Club, have a think about how important your opinion is. If you think it isn't then either of these clubs are for you :)

Mon

PS I think there are a great deal of classic Mini clubs that also accept the BMW version and that is fine. I have nothing against them, becaust they ASKED their members what they thought...

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Good grief!! It's these petty arguments that makes me hope, no pray!, that MINI2 does not become a "proper" club. Lets stay Internet based, meet up for runs or meets, but don't let us go down this awful "owners club" route! :confused:

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Mon,
I spoke to the guy who runs the club I'm in on Sunday. He even mentioned he could be tempted by a new S, but overall he is yet to be convinced. I'm pleased that the MINI is being allowed into our club, not only because in a few months I should have mine, but to keep the club going and attract new memebers. My 'childish' comment was unfair to most, but it does apply to a number of people that I have met.
I appreciate your comments and welcome what has become a reasonable debate on the whole club issues.
If my club didn't accept the MINI, then I guees I'd have to join one that did. Which would dissapoint me, but at the end of the day, if it was voted for, then thats the way it goes...
SB

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
R1, you've obviously missed the point so I'll simplify the discussion. If you had to join a club (any club, tiddly winks club, bike club, swingers club) would you:

A) Prefer to join a club where your opinions count for nothing

or

B) Join a club where you get to voice your opinion in a democratic way.

This is not a MINI v Mini discussion, this is about being able to have some say in how the club you pay your money to functions. I don't care which way the vote goes, just have a vote.
R1, you might think such things are "petty", but I'm sure you wouldn't think that if a MINI club you were in suddenly banned all bikers without a members vote?

Smartbomb, I still think it is unfair to call some people who do not accept the new MINI "childish". There are some MINI fans that don't like the classic Mini (R1 for example), are they childish too? At the end of the day they have an opinion and it doesn't match yours. That's life... :)

Mon

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Mon,
Sure, we're all entitled to our own opinions, but I have met some childish attitudes when it comes to the MINI. Anyone who owns a MINI, should surely like the mini ? I mean it's madness not to !
I guess the accpetance thing is gonna be a bone of contention and the vore is the right way, but from persoanl experience there is an element of folk who can only express their views in very infantile manner. Take this guy I know, thinks it's fuunier than funny to go on endlessly about exploding fuel tanks...etc, etc....He is incapable of conveying his views, he can only slate and make derogatory statements.

I class this guy as childish, and if you met him I'm sure you would too. It's a shame there are more of 'him' out there.:)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aha...I see what you mean now. You are not saying that people who do not like the new MINI or who do not recognise it as a real Mini are childish. What you are saying is that some people express their view of the MINI in a childish way.
Sorry for the misunderstanding...crossed wires :)

It's nice to see that you agree a vote on such issues is the right way to go. The lack of a vote is my only gripe with the larger clubs, those in charge seem to think that they know what's best for their members...

Cheers,

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Mon,
No problem, I have met many people who just can't rationally argure thier case, it's just so annoying they just end up winding you up cos' you like 'sumfink I 'ate !'
Take this guy, I havn't told him that I've ordred one as he'd be a nightmare....ok that's me done about that !
:)
Voting is the way to go, although I know of one club who are split over the whole MINI/mini thing....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think my mate who is selling his Rover Cooper to buy a MINI ONE thought I'd whinge at him when he told me. Instead, I'm helping him to sell his car so that he doesn't lose his deposit...I just won't help him clean it if he decides to enter it in any of the concours competitions like I used to with his Rover Cooper ;)

I think the only time when a club will have problems is when they are split 50 - 50 on whether to include the BMW or not. In that situation it might be better for the club to split into two, rather than cause any bad feeling amongst members.

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
The idea of having a MINI concours is a bit daft. I have been to many shows and have been amazed that a car with only the mileage it took to get to the show was in concours.
I guess there could be a pride of ownership class ?

If a vote os split, then as you suggest there could be a MINI branch of that club....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think now days pride of ownership and concours are the same thing. The judges seem more interested in how clean a car is rather than how original it is...:(

Mon

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
I apologise for my point of view Mon. I am obviously still not "owners club" material.
Never been tempted to join one and probably never will! ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was never into the club thing either, until a new local club started up. I went on their forum quite regular and got to know a few of them. Then when I bumped into them at a show we had such a laugh that I had to join.

Just watch where the internet leads you R1, you'll be a club member before you know it ;)

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Mon,
My club has some very unusual mambers, I'll tell you about them at a show sometime !
The club thing is a lot of fun, but isn't for everyone I guess....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol! :D

Mon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts