MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this question has already been asked but when starting my cooper from cold, when reversing off my driveway and turning the steering wheel i get a clunking feeling coming through the steering wheel which disappears as the car warms, does anyone else get this or know what it is?

Cheers,

TC.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Rheumatism maybe?..;)

I've noticed various clunks coming from my engine too, but they sounds like such reasuringly 'solid' clunks that I'd probably be more worried if they went away!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I might be wrong, but I think this is the ABS testing itself. If it only happens after you start the car and set off it is probably this.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not worried about it I always presume it's normal it's just nice to know.

TC

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have recently had THE susp mod for the pull left fix --- the car now clunks when cold and turning, the dealer has acknowledged this and says it's a susp. spring prob.
It's due to be fixed in 10 days time . Keep you posted.
Mike

·
Fun on 2 & 4 wheels!
185 Posts
mike58 can you check with your dealer that your fault is NOT the abs being tested please? As far as I know, every MINI tests the abs and makes a clunk noise the first time it hits 12mph from a cold start, and this is nothing to worry about.

As always, use the search facility and you'll find lots of info on this. Try searching for "clunk"!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
mike58 said:
Thanks but this is a new noise only noticed after the susp fix and it does sound like a spring
Mike - Mine did the same after they'd replaced my suspension etc and the dealers wouldn't let me drive it until they'd checked it out. It turned out that they'd re-assembled the suspension wrong (most dealers havn't worked on this particular part of a MINI before so they usually learn as they go along)

I'd get this changed asap, rather than wait 10 days - your dealers should be able to give you a loan car in the meantime.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My car doesnt make any clunks when driving away.

Only thing that happens at 12mph is the central locking locking.

Dave

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
The abs making a noise when first hitting 12mph would answer a question I was about to ask. It kinda sounds like a scrapey sound, almost as if the car was bottoming out (but, obviously, much quieter and less sparks!)

However, didn't the original post say it happened when reversing off the drive? You must know your road well to hit 12mph when doing that! ;)

Dom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts