MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is my clutch Dual mass.
03 Mini One D 1.4, 185,000 miles, lovely car. Recently last week my clutch pedal feels like its catching on something, on depression and release, not always but its there, originally thought it was the mat but defo the pedal. its fine engine off.The clutch itself is not slipping or stuttering and no rattle noises. i have also felt the pedal vibrating on one occasion, Probably needs a replacement clutch system so i was looking at supplying my local garage with the part to fit.His supplier wants £240+ vat,and pretty much a days labour. i realise this may be OEM, but there are some good recommendations for Blue Point and others at half the cost. But that aside, the mechanic mentioned dual mass, how do i know ? any ideas.

thanks,John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
indeed, having gained more knowledge and a quote of £998 its a bit of a blow. my local garage recommends the flywheel gets replaced too, citing that its a high labour job, 7.5 hours by the book, no point skipping on a part, and also guarantee is not valid. Did strees though that if the flywheel looked better than good once inspected then he would reconsider if money is the object.
Note: the pedal did get sticky without engine running the day after the first post so have not driven it since.\\\\\\\\\\\\\apparently the release bearing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I asked a second garage for a quote and when asked to explain the clutch problem, they said it was the release bearing and asked if there is any leak. Why would that be and where do i look?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in case anyone wandered, it was a failed clutch bearing, £1035 for a full clutch replacement. Dual mass. may i say that since return of car the indicator lever goes on full beam when turning right and the car emits loud engine noise only on my drivers side. is there any noise reducing material i should be looking for missing anywhere or is this just how it is? I know its a diesel, but i was always amazed by how quiet it was pre clutch repair. and thirdly, it used to have that rattle in neutral but less when clutch was engaged. thats now completely gone.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
would check they have not cracked a inlet pipe maybe when doing the clutch as the engine hands down a bit when removing the gear box

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
yes the subframe must be dropped so what you should do is use a rachet strap on either end of the steering rack and pull it up so cant be pulled down wards ,,, if it get pulled down it will punch a hole through the foam membrane where the steering shaft goes through the floor,,, proper dumbass mistake that if there have done that,
when you drop the subframe you leave the rack in the car and held up you split the bottom ball joints at the outer arms to hubs you remove the exhaust bracket and remove the anti roll bar drop links and when drop the subframe you must avoid pulling the rack down ie the anti roll bar will pull the rack down and pull the steering shaft and joint through the floor and damage the point it goes through,

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
added you also undo the torx bolts that hold the rack to the subframe

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
so thats why i got charged for wheel tracking too. i go back next week. is that why my indicator is playing up too, cant be a coincidence can it?
yes i would also do tracking as well after having that apart , saying that not had one yet that was out unless when tripping it a ball joint got hurt by it ,, very common that drop links dont undo very well always worth doing those at same time, ie cost no more in time to do them,, not all garages work like that,,, ie my way of seeing it is if its got to come a part and the apart is old then its worth giving customer the choice of while i have it a part its no extra labour just cost of a part it worth doing it all in my book if keeping the car,
is your steering wheel straight when driving forward, if not then maybe they damaged the rack and replaced it before you knew about it maybe,,, ie have seen someone do these before ie not tie the rack upwards and then release the subframe without supporting it and it come crashing down and pulls the steering rack with it through the floor can also damage other things from the shock of it,
inside the car where steering shaft goes through the floor check the foam has not been damaged around it should be tight and cant get a finger between the foam and shaft

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steering seems straight, but here is a pic of the base of the steering rack, it's a bit chilly on the legs I tell you.looks like the rubber has completely split

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
yep they dropped the subframe before strapping up the rack,, and as subframe prob fell to floor the whole weight would of pulled on the steering rack and would of pulled it through that seal luckily never snapped the shaft to be honest

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's going back in the morning.what shall I advise them to do? I'd it the gator? Is it an easy replace?

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
It's going back in the morning.what shall I advise them to do? I'd it the gator? Is it an easy replace?
believe its all part of a under carpet membrane they will need to remove steering shaft and carpet to gain access to it , not a cheap job to repair correctly,, but its their mistake they damaged it by ill thought out process to pull gear box out,
if they try and fob you off go join the AA get gold cover and use their legal cover and access a engineers report they wont have a leg to stand on at court will cost them thousands by time the pay the court costs etc,, this could even be a very good lever if they start to jib at doing right thing,, tell them your member of AA and now i will get their help and see you in court should be you very last words if they dont sort it correctly,
also tell them that any damage to the universal joint or input shaft to steering rack must also be checked at same time as its a steering item that got full weight of the subframe on it,, put it this way i lift 6 speed gearboxes in above my head on most things,, that subframe i always have two people lift it its heavy and long,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts