MINI Cooper Forum banner

If you had a MINI clutch failure, please select your model.

• Total voters
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clutch Fail

Hi there, my first post so be gentle

I picked up my 2010 JCW Cooper from Brisbane Mini 6 days ago, It was an ex demo with 6600 k's on the clock and last night the clutch failed (pedal all the way to the floor, no power)

Mini transported it back to the dealership and this morning let me have their other JCW demonstrator until mine is fixed under warranty.

Great service from BMW Mini, but I'm really worried that at less than 7000 k's this has happened and in only 6 days on ownership!

Regards

NEil

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have had the mini for 2 years and a bit now. I have changed the steering electronic pump (warranty) Clutch ,front bushes,1 water hose+normal services and now it seems like the water pump is gonne to. The worst car i have had so far and i have had some 8-9 cars so far in my life.

·
Registered
301 Posts
When the dual mass flywheel first come out on the 2.0 Hdi engine fitted in the peugeot, the problems that they had was id say a cause for concern, but the manufacturer paid every claim we put to them, most of the complaints where for noises, but what we would say to customers if the complaint was for clutch problems is that we'll remove the gearbox for inpection, if only the clutch is required then be prepared to foot the bill, but if the flywheel was faulty then the clutch was claimed under warranty with the clutch, so my point is unless your clutch is down to the rivets due to wear and tear they could be claimed for as this is the only wear and tear part on the clutch....its how the technician writes the job card is to if you can get a claim.. Unless there is a known problem and BMW tighten the belt due to costs to them, there then will be strict guidelines given to the dealers to how they can deal with these problems, that is what work is allowed to be carried out and what information they can give you.

I bet the dealers have logged every faulty clutch problem to BMW even though they are cash jobs, they know there is a problem as you will find all the dealers will have the same response to you, as they all got the same memo and been to the same meetings, peugeot done this treatment to customers with front shocks on the 306 as the cost to them was getting out of hand, in the end leaking shocks didnt mean they where faulty its was just grease from manufactering, untill they where a year old and warranty didn't cover them, they could be claimed upto three years untill this happened....

Your banging your heads against a wall if you want them to claim responsibility for this as that would open the flood gates for claims, even people that paid would want there money back, if you suspect a dodgy flywheel try to avoid saying clutch fault to the dealer as they will go through the same fob off story they have been told to tell you by BMW. Also if you do have your clutch and flywheel changed with costs to yourselves make sure you ask for the faulty parts, one so you can see the wear on the friction material and two so BMW cant feel that they are disposing of there poor quality components in a controlled manner.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
There are many undocumented failures. I have banged on about the R50 Midlands gearboxes many times. Also had reports of dual mass flywheels frequently shattering. When I get the dosh (or blow up the clutch) I'll be going to a solid flywheel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 1st Gen. MINI and the clutch and transmission had to be replaced only after 40k way to early if you ask me. Especially to have transmission issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
True observation

OK, this is a poll that will hopefully try to breakdown clutch failure by variant. The idea of this poll is to show EARLY failure of a MINI clutch whether it was covered under warranty or not. This should give everyone an idea of who many failures there have been. Lastly, let's say for a standard that anything under 65K miles is considered an early failure. Most Japanese cars will go longer than this but then MINI is not in that category so we will keep it a bit more realistic. I am also including multiple selections as some of us have or have had more than one MINI.

Crud... I didn't break out the models further such as midlands or getrag. :( Perhaps a mod can help us out?
Re the comment about Japanese cars, this is very true. I had a '90 Honda Accord that had 334,000 miles on it when I sold it. Same engine, same clutch, same everything. I even got 155,000 out of the brake pads. No, it didn't run like a MINI, but nobody ever said it would. If longevity is a consideration, it's hard to ignore Japanese cars.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Re the comment about Japanese cars, this is very true. I had a '90 Honda Accord that had 334,000 miles on it when I sold it. Same engine, same clutch, same everything. I even got 155,000 out of the brake pads. No, it didn't run like a MINI, but nobody ever said it would. If longevity is a consideration, it's hard to ignore Japanese cars.
Yes but Honda, Accord, Civic, Jazz, etc fancy being bored for 334,000 miles, I think I would be willing it to breakdown just to get shut of it.
Never goes wrong, nothing to do, no need for a forum, I think I would prefer to ignore them, in a way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To everyone that is voting.... It might also be a great idea to post your milage at failure. This way, you guys can use it to show BMW/MINI a trend.
mine failed at 167000 miles due to slave cylinder leakage this is a driving school car.. people should only use to change gears and return left foot to floor ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just joined Mini2, first post ever!!
I thought my issue fell under this category, and didnt require a new thread.

Just bought a used 07 Mini Cooper S, R56 (I think). It had just under 66k miles, and I was able to drive it 9 days after i purchased it until the clutch burned out. Took it back to the used lot where I bought it and it was within the 30 day warranty and did battle with the sales guy because technically the clutch wasnt covered under the warranty. In the end I only ended up paying $200 USD for $1600 worth of work being done, because they had to end up replacing the flywheel as well.

My question is.... After all of you have had this repair done, have you had any other issues with the clutch/flywheel/transmission?

Also, is there any special care I need to take with it besides the usual?

Ive driven a manual transmission on and off now for almost 7 years, so I consider myself a well-versed driver, but do I need to alter my driving style?

Thanks, all help much appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just joined Mini2, first post ever!!
I thought my issue fell under this category, and didnt require a new thread.

Just bought a used 07 Mini Cooper S, R56 (I think). It had just under 66k miles, and I was able to drive it 9 days after i purchased it until the clutch burned out. Took it back to the used lot where I bought it and it was within the 30 day warranty and did battle with the sales guy because technically the clutch wasnt covered under the warranty. In the end I only ended up paying $200 USD for $1600 worth of work being done, because they had to end up replacing the flywheel as well.

My question is.... After all of you have had this repair done, have you had any other issues with the clutch/flywheel/transmission?

Also, is there any special care I need to take with it besides the usual?

Ive driven a manual transmission on and off now for almost 7 years, so I consider myself a well-versed driver, but do I need to alter my driving style?

Thanks, all help much appreciated.
Here is my new obsession

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is this what a standard clutch failure sounds like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCWHid18oMQ&feature=youtu.be

My car is a 2007 R56 Stop/Start Cooper S with 79,100 miles on.

I'm not saying that's a low mileage for a clutch to fail at. However, I have an extended warranty and the price for a clutch and flywheel at a MINI dealer runs into severe cash and I'm clutching (pun alert) at straws and hoping it's a failure rather than a wear and tear issue.

If it's a failure, it means Mini pay out, if not they don't.

I have complained many times to different dealers when the car has been serviced that it is often juddery on take off from standstill, and I often use sport mode on a hill start just to stop it happening. I always thought this was an engine issue and reported it as such. Is there a chance that the clutch has been malfunctioning for a good long while?

Like I say, I am unashamedly clutching at straws!

After this incident, I was left completely immobile with the clutch sort of hanging half way down it's travel, and due to needing to depress the clutch to start it, you can't even do that now.

All points to a standard clutch failure, but I just don't know what one sounds like so I'd like to make sure before I put my hand in my pocket!

Thanks in advance

Paul

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
That doesnt sound at all like clutch failure due to wear, the only thing you notice if its worn is the engine revs will go up without the road speed increasing if you try to accelerate in a high gear, it doesnt normally make any noises at all.
On yours it sounds like something has broken or starting to fall apart, and it might not be the clutch either??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but just wanted to say I have a R56 Mini Cooper SD built November 2011 and the clutch on that started slipping from 28,000 miles. My previous Mini did 120k miles on it's original clutch before I sold it and no issues with it then!

I'm just saving enough money together to get a new clutch and flywheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my mini for about 6-7 months and its done 85K miles (81K when i bought it) and ive just replaced the clutch. Im a newbie and not the wisest when it comes to cars but im assuming this is normal sort of mileage? I drove for approx 4K miles with no problems and then it suddenly went.

When i bought the car it was a rush decision as i needed a car quickly and with limited knowledge i had to hand over cash in good faith and take any issues on the chin. This is a car i will keep for years and pass on to my fiance when she passes. My biggest concern is that i give her a car that could cause her problems so i want to make sure its in the best possible condition when she takes it.

Apologies if im going off topic (as I said, im a newbie here) but what should i be looking out for on an 85K mile, 7 year old mini as I want to get it all sorted.

Thanks

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
40 Participants
mprice14
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing