MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me any advice, the clutch on my 02 mini one has just died at 44000 mile with nearly no warning (it only slipped twice (once last week and once the week before)) it just died (luckly 200 yards from home).I'd only had the car for 8 months and in that time done aprox 1000 miles myself. It has no drive in any gear. I have been quote by 2 garages but just wanted to know if it could be anything less painfull. :puzzled::frown:

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Advice? Clutch replacement on the MINI is not a super easy task which is why the quotes are so high. I would advising calling one of our sponsors and maybe upgrading the clutch from OEM to something a little better.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A clutch failure that results in no drive in any gear would require that the center piece of the driven disk where the input shaft is inserted be stripped away from the outer ring of the disk,or the pressure plate spring is totally broken, both unlikely events. Does the clutch feel normal when you push the pedal? Normally, a clutch fails so that it is fully engaged and cannot be retracted to shift gears or just gets weak and slips. I have never seen a clutch that gives no drive at all. Something is strange with this. Is the shifter moving the gears or is its cable broken in neutral? I would not think the clutch is the problem quite yet.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Good points... (I'm not strong with clutch work). When my clutch died on my Ford, the pilot bearing (also known as the throw out bearing) went making it hard to get in gear. So, if you could further describe what is happening we might be able to better diagnose the problem. ;)

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Can anyone give me any advice, the clutch on my 02 mini one has just died at 44000 mile with nearly no warning (it only slipped twice (once last week and once the week before)) it just died (luckly 200 yards from home).I'd only had the car for 8 months and in that time done aprox 1000 miles myself. It has no drive in any gear. I have been quote by 2 garages but just wanted to know if it could be anything less painfull. :puzzled::frown:
This can be one of the dreaded Midland gearbox failure symptons. (When the differential becomes detached and spins on its shaft giving no drive in any gear). If so you will be needing a reconditioned Midland gearbox, no longer available new unless you convert to the later Getrag box which means changing several other parts including driveshafts, etc.
If you search on here for Midland Gearbox there are many threads on the problems and failures.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

if it is your gearbox, then speak to 1320 about the 6 speed change over, may be worth doing if keeping the car long term

·
Registered
286 Posts
If this is true, I have heard it all. Anyone making a real gearbox where this can happen should get back to selling pencils on the street corner, they sure have no business in the gearbox world. I would never have guessed that in a million years! Good one!

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
If this is true, I have heard it all. Anyone making a real gearbox where this can happen should get back to selling pencils on the street corner, they sure have no business in the gearbox world. I would never have guessed that in a million years! Good one!
The Midland gearbox was originally a Rover sourced component.......................Getrag in 2004.
Diff slipping:-
There is a ring gear around the crown wheel of the diff, if it's slightly out of tollerance the ring gear can slip on the crown wheel and you lose drive. I have also heard from some sources that the ring gear was originally factory bonded with a modern type adhesive which sometimes fails and then allows the slipping or complete loss of drive?

(I know in the past ring gears used to be fitted at very high temperatures then cooled to ensure a tight interference fit to engine flywheels for example).

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
what is the score if you push it with BMW on these gearbox issues. As lets just say its a very common problem and virtually everyone knows about it. I mean BMW know it as they changed the bloody box to Getrag eventually, so why was it never rectified by them.

And its not as if people are caning the nuts off them as its happening on even boggo standard low milage Ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts