MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im starting to hate my mini day by day only had it a month

trouble is the car was rattleing on idle but when the clutch was pessed it went, so the garage put a 3 peace kit on it (thats what they said) but when i start car up and the clutch is depressed i hear a humming noise when i press it it goes away , also when i select a gear and pull off i hear a knock/clicking noise this also happens in nutral by just pessng and depesing the clutch

can anybody help me please

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I had a humming or whistling noise on mine, and I had a new clutch. The weird noise when you are sat in neutral is always there apparently and also is meant to be part of 'the character'. Or so I was told! It may not be the case!;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a humming or whistling noise on mine, and I had a new clutch. The weird noise when you are sat in neutral is always there apparently and also is meant to be part of 'the character'. Or so I was told! It may not be the case!;)
what you have been told is what the garage who fitted my clutch told me they said its normal for it to do that , im not convinced tho, the rattle/humming is getting on my nerves because i know the noise is there

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
If it happens when you are driving, I had the noise occur at around 2,000 revs and was most noticeable when the engine was warm. The noise at neutral still happens, but when the clutch is released and the engine revving a bit, it stops. Its quite hard to describe really. It sort of sounded like wind and got louder as you moved through the revs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you get a knockng/click sort of sound when you move through the gears? its the same sound when you pessand depress the clutch in nutral on idle

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I have a new clutch now, and I know my old one was much heavier. I used to sort of get a clicking noise yes, it sounded like a lightly pitched version of the handbrake. I'll check whether its still there though for you. If you are in the North, you could always try northern MINI as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a new clutch now, and I know my old one was much heavier. I used to sort of get a clicking noise yes, it sounded like a lightly pitched version of the handbrake. I'll check whether its still there though for you. If you are in the North, you could always try northern MINI as well.
thanks for that, my cars book in thursday at the local garage the warreny ppl said just take it to a VAT registered garage and if its machanical fault well pay out

what ill do ill put a video on youtube because i cant explain the noise that good

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
thanks for that, my cars book in thursday at the local garage the warreny ppl said just take it to a VAT registered garage and if its machanical fault well pay out

what ill do ill put a video on youtube because i cant explain the noise that good
Ah I've just checked my clutch, and when I press it in there is no noise coming from the pedal (well I assume the pedal). Previously there was a noise! Chances are you need a clutch!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mini experts i ned info please

mini experts advice please

ive posted a thread on here about MINI ONE CLUTCH NOISE heres a update can all you mini experts please watch this and tell me what it could be please thanks,

chris

video is from passenger foot well because noise is louder there (RHD) this happens when pressing and releaseing the cluch and i hear it when i change gear

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a new clutch when my car was 3 months old which stopped the noise and my mini as been perfect ever since
but now after 3 years I have developed a knock or rattle when the clutch is depressed when braking and the car is in neutral, hope I don't need another new clutch I shall speak to BMW next week as my car is in for a service but it is out of warranty now

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Took Car To 4 Differnt Garages Today

1) Bmw Dealer (oldbury) Said " Its The Clutch Bearing Its Fine Dont Worry About It )

2) A1 Clutchs And Gearbox - Said Gearbox And Some Other Parts

3) Independent Garage - Gearbox

4) PHONED Bmw (wolverhampton) They Said You Souldnt Here Any Noise From The Clutch

when i release the clutch i feel the vibaration in the gear stick if thats any help anybody got any ideas on what it could be ?????????

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
That knocking noise definitely shouldn't be there, however, that ratchet noise seems to be common!;) Good luck with your car! Don't hate it though! :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That knocking noise definitely shouldn't be there, however, that ratchet noise seems to be common!;) Good luck with your car! Don't hate it though! :p
so that knocking noise shouldnt be there, the local garage is taking it to a gear box expert tomorrow i hope it aint the same company who motor house took it to because they said the gearbox was fine

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
so that knocking noise shouldnt be there, the local garage is taking it to a gear box expert tomorrow i hope it aint the same company who motor house took it to because they said the gearbox was fine
The knocking noise shouldn't be there. Good luck!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'd get a full new clutch fitted by BMW if it was me, expensive, but then if it ent solved, then you can go back to them until it goes. it should still be under warranty somewhere surely? if its only a 54 plate

·
Registered
286 Posts
The noise is likely the release bearing going bad. It rotates at engine speed when the clutch pedal is depressed. If it is damaged it can make all kinds of noises, depending on what is bad in it. The mounting can be bad so that the bearing angle of attack on the clutch fingers is not square to the clutch, causing an uneven knocking, a bearing in the unit can go bad, causing the sound of a bad ball bearing in the race. Whatever, the clutch area will need ot be accessed to fix it. The release bearing is a simple part to replace, but the tranny has to come out to get at it. It is also possible that if you have a dual mass flywheel, the internal pieces of the damper that tie the two masses together are failing, requiring replacement of the flywheel. When this is done, the clutch pressure plate and release bearing are normally replaced too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts