MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

would appreciate some input on this noise i have. It has only happened recently (last week or so)
It is a 2007 R56 MCS.

basically it is the same thing that has been reported on the R53 MCS.
When the car is idle and in neutral there is a rattling/clicking/whirring noise that is quite noticeable. It goes away when i step on the clutch but comes back after I release the clutch. It happens both when the car is cold and warm. It sounds similar to the cold start issue.

Is this normal? or should i take it to the dealer? :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
My tranny makes a knocking noise once it has warmed up, which goes away as pressure is applied to the clutch pedal. Apparently it is a known issue to do with the dual-mass flywheel and/or thrust plate bearing. A similar issue also affected some R53s. According to my dealer (as well as several members on NAM), it causes no damage, and given the extensive work required to fix the problem, most owners decide not to bother. I am among those not willing to risk a repair, and the noise has not become any worse in 11 months.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info Bishamon!

when you say extensive work is required to fix the problem does that mean it is an expensive fix as well?
will this problem be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
69 Posts
thanks for the info Bishamon!

when you say extensive work is required to fix the problem does that mean it is an expensive fix as well?
will this problem be covered under warranty?
It is covered under warranty, but the transmission has to be taken apart so that the flywheel and bearing can be replaced. At least one member either on here or on NAM had their tranny serviced for this issue and afterwards ended up with a major oil leak where the transmission meets the engine, so his MINI had to go back in for service. Another member had their car serviced for the DMF knock and after service, while the knock was gone, they now had the dreaded '3-2 squeal'. I figure that I'm better off putting up with the knocking noise, which is tolerable and (apparently) harmless, rather than risk other unknown problems arising.

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
I have this problem on my 07 S , i booked it into the dealers a few months back, who said there is nothing wrong with it, so i have left it, the noise stops once the clutch pedal is pressed down.
As long as the car changes gear properly id be inclined to leave it, it doesnt apparentley affect anything else, just charateristic of the car..

·
Registered
847 Posts
We have exactly the same problem with our October 2007 R56 S!

We also took ours back to the dealer about the rattle and was told that it was a "characteristic" of the car.

So is the craip build quality of the R56 a "characteristic" as well? :angry:

P.

·
Real Stuff
6 Posts
I have the same problem with mine '02 MCS.

That noise bothers me a lot. I'm glad you guys said it causes no damage. But what parts needs to be replaced to fix this problem?

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts