MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from UK,

First post here so please bear with me. I have a bit of an issue (and really stressed about this) with a new mini one and was hoping someone can come up with some suggestions of solving this.

My wife has been driving a 09 mini cooper 2 door for several years now. With kids growing, she mentioned a 5-door and to surprise her, I bought a 2015 mini one 5 door couple of days back without her test driving. My wife is short (5 foot) and when she tried the car after purchase, she was very uncomfortable pushing the clutch all the way to the floor because of her height. She has the seat very close to steering as much as she can go and she has also tilted this as far as this can go but she is still not very comfortable. Also, the car seems to have a very low biting point (an inch or 2 when the clutch is fully depressed) which means that if you don't fully depress the clutch, gear changing is a problem which adds to the stress of pushing the clutch all the way down. Accelerator and brake pedals are fine.

I cannot return the car as this was purchased from a private seller. And other than the problem above, she likes the car. I have been looking at various mobility sites for pedal extenders. These might be my very last option. I have also come across a mustang pedal extender (sorry cannot post the link as I am new here but if you search above term, you will see a lot of google images) which I really like but I am not sure if this will fit on the mini or not. We only need to extend by an inch or inch and half which would make her life very easy.

Can anyone please suggest any other options I can look into. for e.g.
1) Can the garage can bring the seat forward by couple of inches in addition to what the car already allows.
2)Any clutch replacement rubbers which are thick and add couple of inches.
3)any other options?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have looked into this and definitely an option but am trying to avoid this as they don't look very good aesthetically. But I will definitely keep this in mind if I don't find any other options. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
Thanks. I have looked into this and definitely an option but am trying to avoid this as they don't look very good aesthetically. But I will definitely keep this in mind if I don't find any other options. Thanks.
number of years ago had same issue with a short customer and clutch pedal travel.
we removed inch from clutch pedal arm so raises it up by a inch, on this one one we made it adjustable to had two 13mm bolts that allowed the end piece to be adjusted up and down and in and out as such so could get it to find a nice point where feels right, i know its a bit of a faff but might be worth getting a clutch pedal from breakers and modify it to fit. by doing it this way the theory was if ever sold the car they could easy reset pedal back to where it should be and no one would be any the wiser

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
number of years ago had same issue with a short customer and clutch pedal travel.
we removed inch from clutch pedal arm so raises it up by a inch, on this one one we made it adjustable to had two 13mm bolts that allowed the end piece to be adjusted up and down and in and out as such so could get it to find a nice point where feels right, i know its a bit of a faff but might be worth getting a clutch pedal from breakers and modify it to fit. by doing it this way the theory was if ever sold the car they could easy reset pedal back to where it should be and no one would be any the wiser
Thanks Mike. This seems like a cleaner approach. I may have to talk to some garages to who can help with this. Not something I would be comfortable doing. Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke to couple of garages and no one is willing to play around with the clutch.

I also ordered a pedal extender from AlfredBekker motability website. When I tried to install, realized that the clutch is made of plastic/P.V.C and odd shaped and hence was not able to securely connect to the clutch pedal and now back to square one.

Any one thoughts or suggestions please?

Vish

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
I spoke to couple of garages and no one is willing to play around with the clutch.

I also ordered a pedal extender from AlfredBekker motability website. When I tried to install, realized that the clutch is made of plastic/P.V.C and odd shaped and hence was not able to securely connect to the clutch pedal and now back to square one.

Any one thoughts or suggestions please?

Vish
being plastic it sort of ruins it, only other thing could do is because its all plastic why dont you buy some thick plastic sheets off ebay and cut as many clutch pedal part size biscuits as such and glue together to get the extra height to your seat you need on top of the plastic clutch pedal,, glue the cut out pieces together if all that makes sense, so the height is added to the part she puts foot on remove the rubber cover first of course maybe glue that back on the top of the plastic parts you have cut and glued together,,,
or rather than glue them drill two hole down through the made up part and do same on clutch pedal to hold them on as such, at least then can remove at later date ie remove the bolts and re attach the rubber peddle cover part...
plastic sheet link below
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Sheet-Block-Offcuts-Samples-Acetal-Acrylic-Nylon-66-Polyethylene-PVC/292805919451?var=591584888771&hash=item442c97c2db:m:mCUYIL5Qe9ve-9BYuRqm5qw
coach bolt and nut link
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulk-Hardware-BH04824-M6-x-75mm-3-inch-Coach-Carriage-Bolt-and-ZP-Nut-Pack-of/183190963301?epid=564840670&hash=item2aa7084465:g:BO4AAOSwHola3IcU

you could recess the rounded end of coach bolt so flush for pedal rubber to glue on better, and can cut bolt length to fit so still get correct travel,, or might need to do it the other may round with the nut recessed in the plastic block, you can cut that plastic with a jigsaw and fine blade fairly easy,, also make this up once and just remove it every time you change a car knowing all need to do to fit to next car is drill two holes in clutch pedal ,, easy way diy job no specials tools needed except a drill and a way to cut the plastic, or you could ask the company advertising the plastic for sale to pre cut them for you worth a punt and a ask

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
being plastic it sort of ruins it, only other thing could do is because its all plastic why dont you buy some thick plastic sheets off ebay and cut as many clutch pedal part size biscuits as such and glue together to get the extra height to your seat you need on top of the plastic clutch pedal,, glue the cut out pieces together if all that makes sense, so the height is added to the part she puts foot on remove the rubber cover first of course maybe glue that back on the top of the plastic parts you have cut and glued together,,,
or rather than glue them drill two hole down through the made up part and do same on clutch pedal to hold them on as such, at least then can remove at later date ie remove the bolts and re attach the rubber peddle cover part...
plastic sheet link below

you could recess the rounded end of coach bolt so flush for pedal rubber to glue on better, and can cut bolt length to fit so still get correct travel,, or might need to do it the other may round with the nut recessed in the plastic block, you can cut that plastic with a jigsaw and fine blade fairly easy,, also make this up once and just remove it every time you change a car knowing all need to do to fit to next car is drill two holes in clutch pedal ,, easy way diy job no specials tools needed except a drill and a way to cut the plastic, or you could ask the company advertising the plastic for sale to pre cut them for you worth a punt and a ask
This seems like a good idea. I do have a feeling that the clutch pedal is very small to enable me to drill holes without impacting the integrity. Also, I also remember is to be slightly curved instead of flat. let me take a look again and identify where I can drill. But this sounds like a very good idea and appreciate you taking time to provide links. I will also take a look at the other link of ready made extenders.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
This seems like a good idea. I do have a feeling that the clutch pedal is very small to enable me to drill holes without impacting the integrity. Also, I also remember is to be slightly curved instead of flat. let me take a look again and identify where I can drill. But this sounds like a very good idea and appreciate you taking time to provide links. I will also take a look at the other link of ready made extenders.
rather than drill pedal could sandwich a tension a bit like that link is but with plastic maybe, ie the only parts you drill is the parts you add

·
Registered
393 Posts
or just get her a left shoe with a disabled wedge added (I know, this is sick, I am a tad sick) I presume others might drive this car so make all her shoes fit the car rather than the car fit her?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have now glued a couple of these rubber pedal together to increase the reach by an inch and seems to help. Hopefully she will get used to the car. Thanks for everyone's help on this.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
I have now glued a couple of these rubber pedal together to increase the reach by an inch and seems to help. Hopefully she will get used to the car. Thanks for everyone's help on this.
where there's a will there's a way

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reading this thread a few months later... could you link the rubber pedals?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts