MINI Cooper Forum banner

clutch rattle

5K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  DirkDiggle 
#1 ·
got a bit of a rattle that goes away when the clutch is depressed, so i presume it must be the clutch release bearing.
it doesn't happen every time i use the car but often when i start the car from cold without first pressing the clutch.

is this common or should i let the dealers have a look ( and let them tell me "they all do that mate ")

cars an 04 showing 6200 miles

steve

#2 ·
Steve, initially had this on my March 2004 MCS first thing that seem to spring to mind was the clutch release bearing, upon intially listening to this Mini did seem to think that this was the problem also. Turned out to need a new gearbox at around 6500miles, noise gone and now runs fine no probs since. Mentioned the problem to the dealership I purchased the car off and they said this had happened to another S that came in the same batch as ours, again gearbox replaced - problem gone.
Had the same probs as you described - press clutch and the noise goes away, it eventually got louder and ended up sounding like a bag of nuts n bolts in a washing machine.

Have since done another 10,000miles no noise and runs spot on, best of luck.

#5 ·
clutch

Had the same sort of sound with the clutch on my 2003 MCS and thought nothing of it. A few months down the road a scrubby screech sound would happen periodically on take off, a week later a constant sound kind of like a lose belt. My mini has been in the shop for a week because the entire "f"ing transmission is shot. Of course it is all under warranty but come on, the car is not even 2 years old! I am :bad::bad::bad::bad:ed to say the least. Thinking of writing to Mini to ask for an extension on my warranty, because as is, when the warranty is done, I will sell the vehicle.
P.S. If the car wasn't ridiculously fun to drive, it would be up for sale now.

#8 ·
hey all, just want to add to the party...My 03 (got in 02) MCS also had the clutch rattle. Needed a new tranny as well. I didn't stay with it long enough to know if it fixed it (since the new tranny was the 9th warranty repair that had to be done). Anyway, a new tranny should do the trick, hope it works out for you!

#10 ·
Fabio said:
Mine makes that sounds when the clutch is up , dealer said it was the clutch release bearing and its " a charasteristic" of the car :confused: :(
They told me that too.... but after much hassle they replaced my box, clutch and flywheel and the noise went away, theres a few old threads on this problem on here somewhere, I started one...

Dont take no for an answer

#12 ·
northandy said:
They told me that too.... but after much hassle they replaced my box, clutch and flywheel and the noise went away, theres a few old threads on this problem on here somewhere, I started one...

Dont take no for an answer

based on people having this problem and then needing a new gearbox, it is likely that my gearbox will give in shortly??????

#13 ·
I also had a similar problem with my clutch. It was not a rattle, but rather an annoying friction. They replaced the clutch. However, with the new clutch, now there is even more noise. It is not the friction anymore, but LOT of gear noise. It has been at the dealer for the last three days, where they were supposed to take a look at it and determine what the source of this noise is (loud rattle from the engine at low rpms and high hissing sound at high rpms when letting off the throttle). We'll see if it is the gear box now....
It feels OK to know that I am not alone with the god damn clutch problem; on the other hand, it worries me about the "post-warranty" period.

#14 ·
I was thinking that would happen when I took mine in, no noise and dealer would say bring it back when it makes the noise, mine made the noise big style they had it in within 2 weeks and replaced the gearbox. If i were you id keep my eye (ear) on it, my car had 6500miles on the clock and was about 4months old so got it sorted ASAP.

#17 ·
Ticking is NOT a characteristic!!!!

Just got my MCS back after getting the ticking solved by replacing the flywheel. All I can say is anyone with the ticking noise mentioned above should get straight to the dealer and get their flywheel changed! The car is so quiet and smooth compared to before! I didn't expect such a difference!

So chuffed. Again - a massive smile on my face!

G

#19 ·
When you say "clicking", are you referring to the clicking noise that shows up at iddle and goes away when the clutch is depressed? I complaint about this 6 months ago and it came back as "some gear noise is normal".

Since I know nothing about engines, here is a question for the guru: These are the parts that were replaced:

21-21-7-534-151 - RMFD Clutch
23-11-7-509-744 - Bush
23-11-0-530-904 - Bush

Does this mean that the flywheel is still the old one?

After getting the new clutch, that "gear noise" was very pronounced (especially at iddle) with some additional low RPM rattle and high RPM hiss type noise. As I posted in another thread, they just called and said that it was the low transmission fluid (0.3 L less than required) and it went away now... Of course, I will post an update to see if the noise is still there after I test drive it this evening.

G2 - S said:
Just got my MCS back after getting the ticking solved by replacing the flywheel. All I can say is anyone with the ticking noise mentioned above should get straight to the dealer and get their flywheel changed! The car is so quiet and smooth compared to before! I didn't expect such a difference!
G

#20 ·
Need your help

I too have the annoying clutch rattle. Occurs under same conditions, in neutral, clutch out, at idle. Rev the engine slightly, and it goes from rattling a little to sounding very agricultural. (Have considered changing the MINI logo to a Case IH)

I took the car in. They replaced my transmission and clutch release bearing (throw out bearing) about 6 weeks ago. Car still makes the exact same sound.

Can anyone who had the flywheel changed, and then experienced a quiet car please give me the service location and advisor name where the work was done. Having a hard time getting my dealership to try this (though they WILL admit the sound is still present).

GTmini?

Anyone else?

Thanks much!

NTHUSIAST

#22 ·
Hi All,
Been having loads of problems with my Aug 04 mini one, its been back to the dealer four times now, first time i was told that it is supposed to sound like that :eek: .
Second time, theres nothing wrong with that its just a little noisy, bring it back when you have clocked up some miles, (this was at the end of a 450 mile journey) :mad: .

then it goes in for the oil to be topped!!!! up and then for a new clutch, cover plate and thrust bearing...

Still got the same clunking gearbox, whining clutch and clattery idle gear.

So took the ball by the horns and when back to the dealership (Fairfield BMW. southend) ans started shouting and got louder and louder until I had the manger of the survive department, the sales director and head technician of on the forecourt and in my car.

cut a long story short, it goes in on Wednesday for new :- Gearbox, clutch. cover plate, thrust bearing and fly wheel, and if it makes some much as a rattle i will be personally driving it straight into the showroom through the front windows and demanding a full refund, :mad: :mad:
I will also have the local paper with me when I go to collect the car and have told the dealership this. :D

One other small thing to menchen my power steering pump is NOW making a lot of nose and clonks when you put it on a full lock :confused: has any one Else had this problem or has it all ways been there and just been hidden by the nose of the gearbox/clutch.

Happy motoring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 ·
NTHUSIAST said:
I too have the annoying clutch rattle. Occurs under same conditions, in neutral, clutch out, at idle. Rev the engine slightly, and it goes from rattling a little to sounding very agricultural. (Have considered changing the MINI logo to a Case IH)

I took the car in. They replaced my transmission and clutch release bearing (throw out bearing) about 6 weeks ago. Car still makes the exact same sound.

Can anyone who had the flywheel changed, and then experienced a quiet car please give me the service location and advisor name where the work was done. Having a hard time getting my dealership to try this (though they WILL admit the sound is still present).

GTmini?

Anyone else?

Thanks much!

NTHUSIAST
Prestonhall Mini in Stockton-on-Tees UK.

#24 ·
littlejonny said:
Happy motoring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No kidding :rolleyes:

I have a sympathy for you. I have made 22 trips to dealer so far (in 18 months) and have another appointment for next week!!!! Everyone knows me in the service department and I know them with their first name, their kids' school problems, their parents' problems (being an MD), etc etc... I think this is what MINI means when it comes to having "close" relationship with your dealer ;)

Happy motoring indeed!!!!!

#26 ·
OK, I rejoiced too soon. Tonight, after ~500 miles into the new/replaced gearbox and guess what's back? That's right! Pretty much the same amount of time as after when the car was new (can't remember exactly...I did 700+ miles that first weekend :D). The way in which it came back was odd too. I had just started off and was heading down the street, and noticed the drivetrain was making some really weird noises (enough to be slightly audible over the engine drone and obviously catch my attention). I then went to shift into 2nd gear and I really had to tug the gear lever to get it out of first gear. Stop sign at the next intersection : rattle, rattle, rattle... But wait, there's more! So I continue driving and notice that the shifting action is suddenly REALLY smooth (as if it was suddenly "fully broken in"). Perplexing to say the least, but the experience kinda reminded me of another Friday night car experience far too many years ago. :D

Other interesting things about my transmission replacement... The rattle/knocking noise that I'd sometimes get when starting the car never went away (even though the rattle in neutral wasn't present). Actually, if anything, it was more consistent (although the weather changed for the colder at around the same time, so maybe that's a red herring). Also the odd rubbing/clattering noise I would hear when cruising at speed with low throttle (usually semi-coasting in 5th/6th gear) didn't go away when they replaced the transmission.

One other odd thing is that as I was getting closer to home (later in the night after making a couple of stops), shifting into 4th gear was getting stiffer and it was more difficult to get it into 1st.

This car really pushes the limits of my patience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.