MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I push my clutch In I can shift gear to gear no problem. When I let it out It doesn't want to fully engage. A few weeks back when I'm first got it everything was good then my breaks started acting funny I'd push the peddle In and it really didn't want to go. It was like something was clogging the break lines then all of a sudden they were back. I checked the fluid it seemed a little low so I refilled it that's when my clutch started acting funny. I can put it in reverse and go no problem but it doesn't like to let me put it in first and when it goes it goes and switch to the next set of gears and I can get in to gear no problem but when let the clutch out it won't fully engage. The guy i had come look at it said the clutch needed replaced. My gut keeps telling that's not not the problem.any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The clutch failing to fully disengage could very well be a bad clutch. The clutch disc is hanging up on the transmission mainshaft splines. So what you were told could be right.

However...

Could be a long shot -- but may be not -- but if the clutch hydraulic system shares fluid with the brake system the brake (and possibly) the clutch hydraulic system needs to be flushed and bled. Flushed with fresh fluid.

I had a car manifest a clutch problem. It was impossible to engage the clutch smoothly. This was totally out of character. Also, a smooth as a hot knife through butter shifting transmission became crunchy.

Long story short a brake and clutch fluid flush/bleed made all the difference and for the better in the world.

The clutch hydraulic system shared fluid with the brake system but the clutch slave cylinder had its own bleed screw. The SOP was to flush/bleed the brakes then flush/bleed the clutch hydraulic system.

And the brake fluid was not that old. About 2.5 years old. But the factory called for a 2 year brake/clutch flush/bleed schedule.

More recently in my M-B van I experienced when stopped at a light and using the brakes to hold the vehicle stationary a slowly sinking brake pedal. It is an automatic so no clutch of course. The brakes had just been flushed/bled about 1000 miles ago.

Service advisor confirmed the behavior.

Had the car in. Long story short the tech did a "gravity bleed" of the brake system. (Oh, at no cost to me.) When I got the van back the sinking brake pedal behavior was gone.

Even if the brakes and clutch don't share fluid both could be due for a flush/bleed operation.

I'd do this before I considered a new clutch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts