MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S 2011 (R56 N18). Mini One 2012 (R56 N16).
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting code 2BE9: Cylinder injection disconnection. the pressure in the high pressure fuel system is too low - intermttent (checked with autocom cdp)
P0087 - Fule Rail/System Pressure - Too low and an EML intermitently in my 2010 MCS N18.
Occassionally over the last week startup has been very lumpy with lots of misfires.
Anything over 3.5k revs when fault is active produces backfires and rough running. When fault is not present pulls well throughout rev range.

Sods law that this morning, when I have time to connect up autocom, it is fine.
Went for a spirited drive. Startup was normal, pulled like a train.
Live data on the low pressure fuel system is steady at 500kpa and Rail pressure between 4MPa and 8.5MPa, with 5.2MPa at idle.
This is without the fault present.
Will try and get live data when fault is present.

HPFP?

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has been starting and running fine all day :unsure: goddammit!!
Was so bad yesterday it was pretty undriveable, but couldn't connect autocom cause laptop is ancient and battery was flat.
From watching youtube videos of failing pumps I'm pretty convinced its the high pressure fuel pump on the way out.
Symptoms all seem the same. It doesn't stall like a lot of them but is really rough and struggling to idle/backfiring when fault is present.
Luckily my local stealer had one on the shelf, so now there is a very small, very expensive box sitting on my desk.
Drove the ten miles there and back with no issues.

I would like the fault to occur at least once more before fitting it just to be sure I wasn't imagining it and to try and get some live data.

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
Has been starting and running fine all day :unsure: goddammit!!
Was so bad yesterday it was pretty undriveable, but couldn't connect autocom cause laptop is ancient and battery was flat.
From watching youtube videos of failing pumps I'm pretty convinced its the high pressure fuel pump on the way out.
Symptoms all seem the same. It doesn't stall like a lot of them but is really rough and struggling to idle/backfiring when fault is present.
Luckily my local stealer had one on the shelf, so now there is a very small, very expensive box sitting on my desk.
Drove the ten miles there and back with no issues.

I would like the fault to occur at least once more before fitting it just to be sure I wasn't imagining it and to try and get some live data.
i just had a n14 do same thing ,, I rebuilt it 6 months ago and we put a used high pressure fuel pump on it and I did tell the guy dont use e10 petrol on them been seeing more fuel issues on performance cars since this stuff has come to pass, it now has a pressure of 3.4mpa on idle should be 5mpa and has random misfires and on 2 cylinder flags up ie suspect two injectors are hurt by it as well ,, will fit a pump first then run injection cleaner through system see if they come back or not,, might find pump failed and sent metal from the pump side to nozzles worst case, gut on ebay refurb them £150 ish

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reply Mike. Much appreciated.
Fitted new pump this morning and even for a hamfisted buffoon such as myself it was a pretty simple job.
Only real issue I had was with the electrical connection. What a pig that is to get off!!

I also think this might have been my issue. There is considerable "wiggle" on the old pump electrical connection. New one is rock solid.
Possibly shorting out or breaking connection, would explain intermittent nature of fault.

On the fuel side of things, I only use Shell V power, except I did fill up with some BP E5 a couple of weeks ago.
Cant believe one tank of different brand E5 petrol would cause the issues I was having.
It it was I just wasted £660 on a new OE pump. :D

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
I find long nose angled pliers and gentle on either side of those electrical connectors ,, most people have problem removing the fuel pipe ie input, there are special pliers for them that fit in to the black squares either side,, , and you must release the metal fuel pipe bleed out fuel and push the connector in and out a few times with that pipe unscrewed then they come off easy,, I've seen many people cut them off and that's just asking for a fire, the e10 stuff is not very good for them e5 sort of get away with ,, best off with 98 ron or above, the flash points are so much different between them and on a engine living on a knife edge its just better to give it the better fuel in long run also bio fuels absorb moisture more when sat

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
Here are the errors I was getting on my "cheap" OBDLink MX+ (£100) and Car Scanner app (Free).
View attachment 285132
that looks like a fun one to work out, ecu or wiring harness could even be a short circuit in high pressure fuel pump pulling the switched earth circuit down possible, fact you have had a lower mpa on high pressure fuel pump says its faulty anyway,

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No codes showing now after test drive.
I guess the only real way to tell if its fixed is to wash it and fill it with petrol.
Guaranteed to break down then.

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
No codes showing now after test drive.
I guess the only real way to tell if its fixed is to wash it and fill it with petrol.
Guaranteed to break down then.
ho yes and dont forget to wait until its dark and blowing a gale and a very important journey you cant get out of, and yep it will all go pete tong,

• Haha
Reactions: Colonel Bogey

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually OBD Link MX+ isnt bad.
I use it to connect to my phone so I can monitor temps etc.
Works pretty well.

Heres the dash I use. (This is in demo mode - I wasnt doing 132mph honest officer)
White Light Gauge Line Slope

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am getting code 2BE9: Cylinder injection disconnection. the pressure in the high pressure fuel system is too low - intermttent (checked with autocom cdp)
P0087 - Fule Rail/System Pressure - Too low and an EML intermitently in my 2010 MCS N18.
Occassionally over the last week startup has been very lumpy with lots of misfires.
Anything over 3.5k revs when fault is active produces backfires and rough running. When fault is not present pulls well throughout rev range.

Live data on the low pressure fuel system is steady at 500kpa and Rail pressure between 4MPa and 8.5MPa, with 5.2MPa at idle.

HPFP?
This is hella late, but did you check the boards behind the JBE behind the kick panel on passenger side? Sometimes one of the solders goes bad, usually to the the fuel pump relay. When car is cold, it runs fine, but when the box heats up, it loses continuity and CEL pops up… sputter, then die. Next day, when coke again, it seems fine. Rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is hella late
Thanks for the reply.
All info is appreciated.
Sounds similar to my issue but mine is weirder.
Above codes havent reappeared.
Seems the cel and limp mode only engages when the car is hot and you switch it off and on again.
For example, I can go and drive from cold as far and as spirited as I like, no issues.
If I then stop somewhere and switch the engine off then restart, on hard acceleration I will sometimes get the cel come on and limp mode but with no codes.
If I then pull over and switch off and on again and resume driving, after about 2 minutes cel goes out and power is restored, I can then drive with no issues.
I should add this is more related to boost/vacuum issues I have had from day 1 than fuel pump which I think is now fixed with new pump.
Just living with it atm trying to figure out symptoms.

·
Registered
2 Posts

HPFP?

I have the exact same problem @Colonerl Bogey. 2c01 (P0087) and with random P306F once or twice. 2 fuel injectors misfired couple of times also, but it happened only once for some reason. Car revs well in idle and drives smoothly until safe mode turns on randomly: sometimes when I go over 2500/3000rpm, sometimes when I'm stopping gently, sometimes randomly during the drive while I'm on cruise control.
I checked LPFP, oil, gasket, both solenoids, nothing else seems to be off. I'm thinking about the vacuum pump as the last possible flaw.
Did you fix it in the end with the HPFP? Was it the pump or the loose connector?
Thank you, champ <3

Mini Countryman S, 2012, N18 engine

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello vanjakin.
A new, very expensive, OEM HPFP fixed fuel pressure issue and codes. They haven't returned.
I was still getting 2c56 and 2c58 boost codes intermittantly though.
I think 🤞 a new boost solenoid has cured this issue now though.
It was fitted last friday and I have no codes showing currently. She also had a wallnut blast and I fitted new plugs on sunday, she is running smooth and no more intermittant boost 😁

Your symptoms could be a sign of HPFP starting to go, although I am no expert. Mine was intermittant when it went.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So basically the new HPFP fixed 2c01 and p0087 and you're trying to fix 2c56 and 2c58 with the new solenoid?
Tough luck for me.
I think I'll get the Peugeot pump (same engine, but the RCZ version of the 307 I think) as a cheaper option since the same pump is 50% more expensive in BMW store in Serbia.
There goes my vacation plan 😒

1 - 16 of 16 Posts