MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car throws a gimp every day,....sometimes goes away quick sometimes hangs around days...thing is the gimp comes on with no other code at times ......so why?....also have had near full boost with the gimp on/....other times not.....could this be a software prob?

by the way had a P 0240 cat inefficient sens 1 and sens2 near identical....wtf

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
by the way had a P 0240 cat inefficient sens 1 and sens2 near identical....wtf

your cat is missing or melted out got a hole in it, as when both 02 sensors read the same the gases have nothing to flow through,, reasons for this stretched timing chain and people just keep driving like it for a lot of miles, and injector faulty over fueling even shorts trip can have a effect when car dont get up to running temps,

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
added thought the boost on and off could be effect by the cat broken up inside and a lump of it moving around at the exit of the cat and when moves it restricts flow and causes back pressure the turbo can cope with,, bit like blowing through a straw or a hose pipe affect will also affect other stuff like map sensor etc, those engines must have timing chain around 60.000 miles to stay healthy cars that dont will drive to 100k maybe but will destroy the cat and sensor etc or even piston rings

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I have not been replying...lifes problems.....Check this out ....3 days ago I get an exhaust leak noise right up front....I look atthe turbo and see black soot forming on the banjo line . ( the leak was loud and I caught it fast./...NOW I WAS PISSED off I ripped the heat shield back and sure as shit the cat is separated from the hot flange on the turbo...at least .25 inch ...I tightened two of the bolts nd sealed it but obviously you're right mike the Cats plugged...BTW its crunch time...gonna do the rod bearings today in few hrs....bought "king bearings" std....but they're kinda wierd as they have no tab or tang on the backside to orient or position them in the in the od....Mike I hope you see this message and share your experience

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I have not been replying...lifes problems.....Check this out ....3 days ago I get an exhaust leak noise right up front....I look atthe turbo and see black soot forming on the banjo line . ( the leak was loud and I caught it fast./...NOW I WAS PISSED off I ripped the heat shield back and sure as shit the cat is separated from the hot flange on the turbo...at least .25 inch ...I tightened two of the bolts nd sealed it but obviously you're right mike the Cats plugged...BTW its crunch time...gonna do the rod bearings today in few hrs....bought "king bearings" std....but they're kinda wierd as they have no tab or tang on the backside to orient or position them in the in the od....Mike I hope you see this message and share your experience
PS...have new stock rod bolts....same torque values?

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
any exhasut leaks before the cat and 02 sensors will cause 02 reading to be miles a way, as for crank bolts i use red loctighthread lock on the bolts no oil on them just thread lock 10nm plus 90 degrees stretch, the big end bears dont have a location tail in them ,, when fitting them i use small hammer when slowly doing up the bolts evenly while tapping the end shell this will help prevent them locking on crank if a tad out of line,, ie do one up at a time IMPORTANT BEFORE DOING THE STRETCH PART TO ROTATE CRANK A FULL TURN ENSURE ALL SMOOTH.. if gone tight back off the bolt and tap again and retry untill is all turns easy,, use plenty of oil on crank and shells... the new type conrod bolts use a 9mm muliti spline socket,

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any exhasut leaks before the cat and 02 sensors will cause 02 reading to be miles a way, as for crank bolts i use red loctighthread lock on the bolts no oil on them just thread lock 10nm plus 90 degrees stretch, the big end bears dont have a location tail in them ,, when fitting them i use small hammer when slowly doing up the bolts evenly while tapping the end shell this will help prevent them locking on crank if a tad out of line,, ie do one up at a time IMPORTANT BEFORE DOING THE STRETCH PART TO ROTATE CRANK A FULL TURN ENSURE ALL SMOOTH.. if gone tight back off the bolt and tap again and retry untill is all turns easy,, use plenty of oil on crank and shells... the new type conrod bolts use a 9mm muliti spline socket,
I get some...most o the best info from you Mike....BTW it started to rain last nite so plans were cancelled...(probably good as I ) cannot wrap my head around this stretch procedure...all the articles are either too complicated or to simple....do you know of a .."stretch for dummies" video?...the procedure form mini is different with blind bolt holes, I have no specialty measuring tools?
now i'm gonna source a Cat from the link you gave me....you mentioned a cat cleaner?...It will take me a month to raise the $ for the new cat so maybe a cleaner (band aid) would make me feel better....Mike ..I have so many questions you would hate me if i asked em all...Hahaha...instead....I ended up getting the original cyl head back ./..it has 110,000 km on it and the cams were about zero wear....Im listing it ebay $600 C purchaser pays shipping...Mike if you want it for yourself its 400 ...and while I think it will sell quick for 600 I offer it to you at 400...lol...you probably have 10 0f these in your back yard hahaha its a gesture of gratitude here's a couple pic's uncleaned...there's so much gum in the intake runners it was forming around the valve stem
IMG_20200528_193311714.jpg

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
below link is the correct tool to do the stretch part of a bolt ,, ie like head bolts on those heads,, are set 1st 20nm 2nd 40nm then its changes from a torque setting to a rotation setting ie stretch the bolt by 180 degrees rotation in total but head olts are stretched in two parts of 90 degrees each time,,, ie start at middle two bolts on the head and always work outwards doing the same on each bolt,, ie to do 20nm plus 40nm plus 90 degrees plus 90 degrees is all done in 4 sweeps starting for the middle,,, ALWAYS MARK NEXT TO EACH BOLT AFTER TURNING IT AT ANY POINT SHOULD END UP AT END OF IT ALL 4 MARKS OR DOTS THIS ENSURES NON HAVE BEEN FORGOTTEN EASY THING TO DO,,
below link a must have tool you can measure the amount of stretch rotation on any bolt while doing it,,
as for head no i got couple spare ones got a few engine blocks as well,,

Reactions: moneydump
1 - 8 of 8 Posts